Skip to content

RIP Shane Warne

As if there's not enough shocking news around just now. Died of a suspected heart attack, aged 52...

Comments

• This news is a real shocking one. Can't say he didn't enjoy his life though

• Absolutely shocking news, there are very few players (in any sport) who everyone in and out of the game enjoy including the opposition fans.

He had an ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck and impose himself on it, he would have the crowd completely on the edge of their seats. You couldn't miss a ball.

I was lucky enough to go to 4 of the 5 test matches in 2005. We were cruising towards our target at Trent Bridge until he came on. One of the best live spells of bowling I've ever had the privilege to witness.

I saw him get his 700th wicket on Boxing Day in Melbourne and retire in Sydney one match later. The reception he got from the both sets of fans was amazing.

He was an incredibly fierce competitor on the pitch but once off the pitch he appeared to have time for everyone.

RIP Warnie.

• One of the greats, I remember his "ball of the century" to bowl the plumber

And the great Aussie wicket keeper, Rod Marsh, passed yesterday aged 74

• Genuinely stocking. Two memories from me.

A tour game on Southampton in 2001 where he spent ages signing autographs and chatting with fans whilst my son also ended up with Brett Lees boot

Secondly him holding the ball above his head to acknowledge the crowd when we applauded bim reaching 100 in his bowling figures on that amazing first day at Edgbaston in 2005.

• I was there at the Oval on the last day of the 2005 series where he raised his hat to the crowd and as one we rose to our feet to applaud him

Shocked and very saddened by this awful news. One of the greatest sportsmen to have ever lived

• Terrible news.

• I was lucky enough to see him in the flesh during his prime. This is an awful loss.

• According to The Times he's the highest scoring test player to never have made a century.

• @floyd said:
    According to The Times he's the highest scoring test player to never have made a century.

Twice made 99 but fell just short.

No matter what religion, colour, country or decade you were born in he was respected by all who watched him and left many fans with great memories, on and off the field.

? ??

• Not a cricket fan but you have to applaud anyone who achieved so much! Also no age. Great shame.

• I was driving with talksport on when they got the terrible news.... it was hard to take, a true one off, I had the pleasure of meeting him a few years back really genuine bloke. Rip

• Totally shocked, I'm a massive cricket fan (maybe even more than football) it's my sport, and although you loved to hate him as an England fan, you always secretly loved him as he was such a character and an incredible player. Sad times

• Shocking news. The word legend is used far to often but Shane’s case he was a true sporting legend.

He played the game ferociously hard, and by all accounts life too, however always appeared to be respectful to the opposition afterwards.

I only got to see him play once live in a charity match at the wonderful Wormsley Estate to celebrate Sir Ian Botham’s 60th birthday in 2015

Rest in peace Warnie. You played cricket how all sport should be played

• Terribly sad news .

A true legend in sport .

When selecting a word 11 from the history of cricket , his name would be one of the first down .

Such sad sad news .

• @Frenchfry said:
    Terribly sad news .

A true legend in sport .

When selecting a word 11 from the history of cricket , his name would be one of the first down .

Such sad sad news .

I beg to differ @Frenchfry - I think he would be the first!!!

• You would have to pick Warne as your spinner in any world 11 surely?

• Really shocking news and very sad. An absolutely brilliant cricketer who played in an awesome team. Also a huge personality and a very interesting and entertaining man to listen to. He’s one of those characters where it just doesn’t seem possible he could be gone, which makes it even more shocking to happen so young.

The best spin bowler by a long, LONG way that I’ve seen in my lifetime. And a really useful batsman. Would be the first player on my team sheet every time.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    You would have to pick Warne as your spinner in any world 11 surely?

I would but Murali would have a shout too depending on your views

• Murali might have taken more wickets but was mostly playing in a more spinner friendly environment and also playing in a poorer bowling attack so had more opportunity to take wickets. Warne took over 700 wickets playing alongside amazing bowlers like McGrath, Lee, Gillespie etc. Warne was the better bowler with a bigger personality. Honestly I’d probably have both in my side but Warne first.

• Hayden, Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar, S Waugh, Kallis, Gilchrist, Warne, McGrath, Donald, Muralitharan (or Anderson) depending on wicket.

• Sehwag, Dravid, Root, Kohli, Smith, Williamson, Flintoff, Pollock, Ambrose, Bumrah, Starc. Decent bit more modern 11 (with Root, Smith and Williamson offering the spin options)

• @Quarterman said:
    Sehwag, Dravid, Root, Kohli, Smith, Williamson, Flintoff, Pollock, Ambrose, Bumrah, Starc. Decent bit more modern 11 (with Root, Smith and Williamson offering the spin options)

Cook has to be in for chance of opening, the amount of runs he scored in more bowler friendly conditions than a lot of other openers, and Botham over Flintoff any day for me, this for both of the teams you've posted, but I agree with Murali or Anderson depending on wicket

• Agreed, I’d be happy with Cook - an excellent batsman. Botham was mostly past his best when I watched him (as Viv Richards) but you are right in the fact that he was a better player than Flintoff so have to agree with that one too.

• I remember bunking off school to watch Botham when he hit one of his hundreds in the "Bothams Ashes" series... got in serious trouble at home for that, but it was worth it !

It's so difficult to pick an all time 11 so I tend not to try as you could probably pick 3 or 4 different teams, reason I tried not to on the Wycombe one haha

• It is almost impossible to gauge different eras but some players do definitely transcend the eras, so back to Warne.

I wasn’t even 1 when Botham’s Ashes took place but watched lots of the old footage and it was unbelievable batting.

• Really sad. Few players can be said to really change their sport for the better - Shane Warne was one. The level of skill, application and theatre he brought to the game made it a ‘must watch’ whenever he bowled.

• @Quarterman said:
    Hayden, Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar, S Waugh, Kallis, Gilchrist, Warne, McGrath, Donald, Muralitharan (or Anderson) depending on wicket.

I think that's a cracking team, although I would have Graham Gooch instead of Hayden.

• Greenidge,Ponton,Richards,Lara,Tendulka,Botham,Gilchrist, Imran Khan,Shane Warne, Holding, Kapil Dev.

• Watched Shane on Prime today with something in my eye most of the time. Ashamed of what the Barmy Army chanted back in the day.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shane-Warne/dp/B09NYLZYTQ