Skip to content

Scott Brown

Humour me, I am getting old.

I vaguely remember Scott Brown signing, getting injured, going out on loan and then the next season being first choice keeper. I can't remember much about his time though - was he any good - what were his strengths and weaknesses - was he a decent guy.

Anyone with a better functioning brain.....

Comments

• From a considerably brain, I recall that he wasn’t the tallest of goalkeepers and wasn’t particularly commanding in the box but he was a great guy and a very good shot stopper. He joined from Cheltenham, I think and may have returned there briefly but settled as the number one at Port Vale. Just from memory - I haven’t googled or anything.

• He was more reluctant to come off his line than Ryan Allsop!

But he (like Rocky) was part of a promotion winning side so goes down in Wycombe history.

Personally I'll always remember him for his extraordinary performance away at Luton during said promotion winning season. He pulled off incredible save after incredible save as we secured a thrilling 3-2 victory. It was one of the all time great individual performances that night.

• Meant to say, @DevC , why the interest. Is he joining Tavistock?

• Ps don't know anything about him as a bloke but it sort of goes without saying that if he was part of that team and squad then he must have been a decent fella. One of the many reasons that makes being a Wycombe supporter such a joy

• @micra said:
    From a considerably brain, I recall that he wasn’t the tallest of goalkeepers and wasn’t particularly commanding in the box but he was a great guy and a very good shot stopper. He joined from Cheltenham, I think and may have returned there briefly but settled as the number one at Port Vale. Just from memory - I haven’t googled or anything.

A brain that omits words, apparently! Insert ‘older’ between ‘considerably’ and ‘brain’.

• He went to Port Vale for a season or two, but isn't there anymore. I think he became a goalkeeping coach at Exeter, which is probably why the Devmeister is sniffing round for info...

• He is goalkeeping coach at Exeter. One of his protégés - Harry Lee - has just joined Tavistock on loan. Young Harry is mooted to be the next big thing coming out of Exeter’s youth scheme. Word is if Tavi get promoted this season to the Southern League this may be the first in a partnership with their kids getting exposure to men’s football. Expect to see Scott around the ground in next few weeks but honestly couldn’t remember the details.

• I found him and Allsop so frustrating with penalties - they both seemed to dive so early that the striker just easily slotted it the other side.

Don’t think I saw either of them save one.

Compare that to Taylor or Bull who held their ground till the last minute and seemed to save far more.

• Incidentally you wonder if a similar partnership with say Risborough (assuming they reach Southern League) might be worthwhile allowing some of the development players to train with WW in the week but play for Risborough on a Saturday.

• If you're being harsh he was never really a crowd favourite, could be quite nervous at times and not very outwardly commanding. Very good shot stopper though and did a good job for us and indeed helped us get promotion. Went back to Vale as he'd been highly regarded there before and we had not rushed to renew him. All the people who liked him can point to him being their player of the season the next year, those that didn't like him moved on fairly quickly to disliking Allsopp for many of the same reasons.

• @PrinceOfCrowell said:
    I found him and Allsop so frustrating with penalties - they both seemed to dive so early that the striker just easily slotted it the other side.

Don’t think I saw either of them save one.

Compare that to Taylor or Bull who held their ground till the last minute and seemed to save far more.

Allsop definitely saved one - Wimbledon away, 2019, but I think it was straight at him - but that might have been it. Don't remember any from Brown.

• Goalkeeper is an unforgiving role. I liked Brownie but he was not one for shouting or as eric points out coming off his line but a decent stopper at League Two level. Like Allsopp he helped us get promotion and like Rocky...and most goalies...fans blew a bit hot and cold with him. I think he did alright at Vale at a tricky time for them, didn't he?

• I'm thinking he lacked a bit of height for a 'keeper. But maybe that's just memories playing harsh tricks...?

• @LeedsBlue said:
    I'm thinking he lacked a bit of height for a 'keeper. But maybe that's just memories playing harsh tricks...?

I think he did - although that doesn't necessarily matter! Case in point: Mexican cult hero Óscar Pérez (anyone?).

• Good pair of hands, and didn't Parry out into danger areas like Stocky and Allsop.
    But lacked height, and teams targeted his weakness on coming from crosses.

• @eric_plant said:
    He was more reluctant to come off his line than Ryan Allsop!

But he (like Rocky) was part of a promotion winning side so goes down in Wycombe history.

Personally I'll always remember him for his extraordinary performance away at Luton during said promotion winning season. He pulled off incredible save after incredible save as we secured a thrilling 3-2 victory. It was one of the all time great individual performances that night.

He was incredible that night.

Anyone else remember Scott Shearer's astonishing performance at home to Leeds in the 2009/10 season. We lost 1-0 but he got an ovation at full time from the Leeds fans; without him we'd have shipped 6 or 7 at least that day.

• Was Scott Shearer the last actually Scottish Scott to play for Wycombe?

• edited March 2022

I know he had a long spell with Cheltenham, but didn't he actually live another 30 or more miles up the country from there?

Think it emerged he was driving 100-120miles each way every morning.
    That is an effort in a physical job!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Was Scott Shearer the last actually Scottish Scott to play for Wycombe?

I can think of McGinn and Craig. I would imagine you've included Grimmer, one of the highlights of lockdown football was hearing him shouting across the pitch!

• @niebieski said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I can think of McGinn and Craig. I would imagine you've included Grimmer, one of the highlights of lockdown football was hearing him shouting across the pitch!

Scott not Scot!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@niebieski said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Scott not Scot!

I can't think of many other nationalities where this pun would work? Best I can get would be Sven the Swede or Finn from Finland.

• @Twizz said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@niebieski said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Scott not Scot!

I can't think of many other nationalities where this pun would work? Best I can get would be Sven the Swede or Finn from Finland.

Russ/Ian the Russian

• Senny Dieng is Senagalese

• Petr Cech

• edited March 2022

Fiorentina are managed by Vincenzo Italiano

• All threads should pass by Wolfgang Wolf of Wolfsburg at some point

• @StrongestTeam said:
    All threads should pass by Wolfgang Wolf of Wolfsburg at some point

YESSS

• Not enough people called Wolfgang in the world

• Scott Brown saved a penalty against Luton when we're leading 1-0 until the 89th min and lost.....

• I thought his kicking was excellent, and ever since we had him our goalkeepers kicking has been essential to how we play.