Skip to content

Putin's War

Comments

• @NiceCarrots said:
    I am bewildered and appalled at the lack of support by the football club and the 11 man/women Trust board) shown yesterday to the victims of the ongoing Ukrainian genocide.

If we support people shaking tins for the North Chidlington Sea Scouts, or whatever, then we surely we should support the victims of the Putinistas?

If standing up against Putin does not represent our club's values, what does?

Given the kleptocrats (TGF) snaffled the training ground from under the noses of our Community Benefit Society - they continue to wine and dine on a match day as per yesterday - I would have thought we would have known better.

Beyond disappointing, shame on you.

I’ve read this half a dozen times and I still have no idea what most of it means.

• @NiceCarrots said:
    It beggars belief that we even have to discuss it. Shameful.

What were you hoping for out of interest? The club did ask for applause in the previous home game? The firework works were yellow and blue at some point.
    I don’t remember even that much for wars in Syria and Afghanistan

• Sadly much of @NiceCarrots message is diluted by his need to take a swipe at the TGF. In this context it's not necessary and, for me at least, it just comes across as another dig at a group who's motives he doesn't agree with.
    If you want to talk about the club's response to the Ukraine crisis then do so, don't drag other - unrelated events - into the debate.

• Apologies if this is a stupid question, but what's TGF?

• Training Ground Funders?

• Seems odd to react with such anger rather than make a suggestion through the appropriate channels

• @DevC said:
    I see the Chuckle Brothers legacy lives on....

@NiceCarrots said:
    I am bewildered and appalled at the lack of support by the football club and the 11 man/women Trust board) shown yesterday to the victims of the ongoing Ukrainian genocide.

If we support people shaking tins for the North Chidlington Sea Scouts, or whatever, then we surely we should support the victims of the Putinistas?

Given the kleptocrats (TGF) snaffled the training ground from under the noses of our Community Benefit Society - they continue to wine and dine on a match day as per yesterday - I would have thought we would have known better.

Did I just read that, @NiceCarrots linked his gripe with the sale of the training ground to what’s going on in the Ukraine.
    How do you react to that I really just don’t know

• edited March 2022

@floyd said:

@NiceCarrots said:

I’ve read this half a dozen times and I still have no idea what most of it means.

We've a few posters whose main MO seems to be digs at the past owners, current owners, and various involved parties.
    Others hide it in "suggestions" for marketing ideas, others like Carrots are slightly less subtle.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Apologies if this is a stupid question, but what's TGF?

It most certainly isn’t a stupid question @ReturnToSenda .
    It drives me mad when posters assume that readers will know what initials stand for.

@Malone - I agree with your comment. I assume MO stands for modus operandi. The way they go about things. Literally, way of operating, I suppose.

• @NiceCarrots Putin, Ukraine, scouts collecting tins and TGF? WTF?

• What the fuck.
    Nick Freeman.

• ISWYDT.

• edited March 2022

Just when I thought I'd mastered this here new fangled 'lingo', someone tells me that TACRITE isn't... well... right.

• IAWPPF

I agree with @peterparrotface

• MWTTIGVSN

• So we now have Prigozhin murdered and other high ranking Russians dying in mystery circumstances including Zhidko who was briefly in charge of the Russian army last year.

I would say the odds of Putin being assassinated have just shot up.

• Seen some incredible comments paying tribute to Prigozhin and depicting him as a freedom fighter standing up to Putin.

• edited August 2023

‘Mysterious circumstances’ is a nice euphemism.

I’ve never really got to grips with betting terminology (and even @DevC’s valiant attempt a couple of years ago to educate me was in vain) but surely odds are against something happening, as in ‘against all odds’ .

Therefore, perhaps, “…the odds against Putin being assassinated have just been significantly shortened”.

Does that work, linguistically ?

And would such an event make the slightest difference to the prospects of a peace settlement being negotiated in the “foreseeable” future? (In my case, realistically, before Easter 2024.)

• Odious man that Putin is, I suspect history will judge that the Ukraine conflict was caused not just by Putin tyranny but also by a shockingly nationalistic and corrupt government in Kiev and by the West playing games as usual. As for Prigozhin, there are a very small number of human beings that I think the world should be quietly pleased when they pass away but he and Trump would be the two obvious candidates. As for Putin be careful what you wish for - his successor may well be far worse.

• @micra, you are quite correct. If the odds against a particular event happening are, say, 4/1, that means there is a 1 in 5 chance it will happen. If the odds then shorten to 2/1, it is now calculated as a 1 in 3 chance.

If the event is deemed to be more likely than not, it will be 'odds on', for example 4/6, meaning it is likely to happen 6 times out of 10.

You can now take your shiny £2 coin to a Ladbrokes emporium with confidence.

• I find it weird that he allowed himself to be put into that position (or maybe he wasn't) but to have a camera ready at a certain location to watch the plane crash to the ground.

How can the people of Russia be so blind to everything thats going on?

• For the answer to that, you could do a lot worse than watch (on catch-up) the Channel 4 documentary “The Price of Truth”, which follows Dima Muratov, the editor of Russia’s only independent newspaper, as he struggles to maintain freedom of the press in the face of violent reprisals.

• Ukraine was and is, like most of freed Eastern Europe and a lot of Africa, shockingly corrupt, but that and the West 'playing games. does not justify Putin's invasion, which was to more to do with distracting people from his own corruption, growing Opposition and social unrest at home with a nice populist war against a smaller nation...assuming that the West would cave as they did over the Crimea invasion. Like Brexit, old men telling young people it was great in the olden days when we was leading an Empire like, has finally ****ed everything up.

What he forgot was Ukraine are indeed quite like the Russians, and will fight for the ground the same way they did in the 1940s. Also the Russian army for all it's jackbooting and missile trailering about about is, at it's core, ineptly led, corrupt and disfunctional...very good against civilians (their own and others) not so good against people shooting back hence the losses, defections, people legging it to avoid conscription and the need for Wagner.

The former Cold War KGB man Putin's problem, besides uniting all of his neighbours in wanting to rein him in is that no-one, not even Russians and the Chinese, wants to go back to buying shitty Ladas, Jeanksis, Lenin Burgers and Kremlin watches that are all better than Western Imperialist rubbish. Or live in, or keep their money in, Mother Russia if they can help it.

So though we might have to fear someone worse...we might get someone with half a brain who wants to get everyone's frozen assets sport and travel bans lifted and calm things down.

They may all be totalitarian numbskulls, but they have to exist in a far different world now where the internet cannot be completely killed, people want stuff, and they need the worldwide economy to function.

I would not be surprised to see Prigozhin turn up in Monaco.

• YES! I had "@DevC posts Russian propaganda" on my 2023 bingo card!

• Oh dear. Try to spend less time in the weird parts of FB and YouTube mate.

• Sorry for any offence caused to Putin supporters and/or the FSB operatives monitoring the Gasroom.

• Thanks for an insightful, entertaining and plausible analysis, @Wendoverman.