Skip to content

New Training Ground Proposed

Comments

• @DevC said:
    Could anyone remind me why we need a new training ground?

Is it ownership issues rather than renting/leasing?

• Is this not about improving the training ground then - just replacing the existing one like for like?

Anyone know what is the rent on the existing one?

• It is going to be a massive improvement I would have thought. 5 pitches, which will surely lead to eventual expanded squad and development players. Better Physio facilities with improved recovery facilities, negating the use of external sourcing & I assume costs. Possible external income revenue opportunities?
    Guesswork I know, but maybe let Marlow FC use of the facility for home matches. Who knows for sure?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    It is going to be a massive improvement I would have thought. 5 pitches, which will surely lead to eventual expanded squad and development players. Better Physio facilities with improved recovery facilities, negating the use of external sourcing & I assume costs. Possible external income revenue opportunities?
    Guesswork I know, but maybe let Marlow FC use of the facility for home matches. Who knows for sure?

But no new players???? Given up on promotion already???? No ambition!!!! I hope to be proved wrong...

• @DevC said:
    Is this not about improving the training ground then - just replacing the existing one like for like?

Anyone know what is the rent on the existing one?

To be honest, as much as there has been a fanfare around the current training ground, it is also the same training ground that was average at best just a few seasons ago and needed GA to rip down his own curtains to take to the training ground.

A lot of good work has been done by a lot of good volunteers. But one would hope a purpose built state of the art (for league one) training ground is going to a step up on the current one, no matter it’s improvements.

• I am always surprised when plans are made public and talked about as though it is about to happen, well before any planning application has even been made. Knowing how long these things take I suggest that right now it is best to wait and see what transpires.

• You are quite right of course @wingnut .

Many a scheme submitted and even granted planning never gets built.

Not entirely clear whether
    1) we genuinely feel we need a better training ground than the one we currently have is or could be, OR
    2) the rent is so high that the business case for a new training ground stacks up even if it is broadly similar to the existing one OR
    3) whether this is just a Couhig negotiating ploy trying to get a lower rent for the existing training ground from owners that have no realistic alternative users for the land.

• @DevC said:

3) whether this is just a Couhig negotiating ploy trying to get a lower rent for the existing training ground from owners that have no realistic alternative users for the land.

Trying to cheat poor old landowners who only have the club's best interests at heart is pretty low.

• No realistic alternatives?

• I always feel a bit guilty/uncomfortable (especially now that I don’t attend games) about saying ‘we’ when referring to the football club but, for some reason, it seems even less fitting when @DevC uses it.

• edited February 2022

@micra said:
    I always feel a bit guilty/uncomfortable (especially now that I don’t attend games) about saying ‘we’ when referring to the football club but, for some reason, it seems even less fitting when @DevC uses it.

Naughty.

Is purposely arguing black is white on an internet forum of a side not enough to qualify as "we" these days?

• @ Malone: I always thought the gentleman was just a compulsive Devil’s Advocate or Counsellor - hence the username - and, to be fair, I have always appreciated his normally well argued posts whether I’ve agreed with them or not. Many years ago, I asked him (on here) if he was a lawyer or at least involved in some way in the legal profession. I think he said he couldn’t afford to be or words to that effect (which puzzled me at the time). I’m aware, from what I read on the original Gasroom, that he switched allegiance at some stage in the past from Wycombe to Watford - which probably didn’t go down too well - but his heart is clearly in the right place and I look forward to his continuing company on the Gasroom.

• @DevC said:
    Could anyone remind me why we need a new training ground?

Mainly to train on, but other than that - I'd imagine it's a pretty major factor in player development and attracting new players. Imagine showing a potential new signing around a corrugated steel hut (that has served us well) with portacabin outbuildings, school chairs and tables. I'd also imagine that one of the pitches will serve as a B Team/development squad pitch allowing regular fixtures to take place.

I worked at Chelsea during their transition from Kings College to Cobham. Albeit on a completely different scale to Wycombe, but imagine Chelsea saying at the time "why do we need a new training ground?". It has allowed them to develop their model. Look how that's gone for them.

• @wingnut said:
    It is pretty obvious why Marlow FC wanted to move. Their site would not be protected against housing and would fetch a considerable sum. When they intended to move the application was turned down but now a large film studio is talked about. Those who objected to the football club may now be thinking that it would have been much more acceptable

One of the sticking points is that the people who wanted to buy the ground wanted two ways in, and the tenants of a building that was targeted for this refused to move.

• The Marlow NIMBY site mentioned one of the pitches will have spectator seating. I hope that pitch will be available for the women’s team.

• @micra said:
    @ Malone: I always thought the gentleman was just a compulsive Devil’s Advocate or Counsellor - hence the username - and, to be fair, I have always appreciated his normally well argued posts whether I’ve agreed with them or not. Many years ago, I asked him (on here) if he was a lawyer or at least involved in some way in the legal profession. I think he said he couldn’t afford to be or words to that effect (which puzzled me at the time). I’m aware, from what I read on the original Gasroom, that he switched allegiance at some stage in the past from Wycombe to Watford - which probably didn’t go down too well - but his heart is clearly in the right place and I look forward to his continuing company on the Gasroom.

I like @DevC's posts, and sometimes wonder if the whole downvote thing is just one big hoax to mess with people who aren't in on the joke.

• @Shev said:

@micra said:
    @ Malone: I always thought the gentleman was just a compulsive Devil’s Advocate or Counsellor - hence the username - and, to be fair, I have always appreciated his normally well argued posts whether I’ve agreed with them or not. Many years ago, I asked him (on here) if he was a lawyer or at least involved in some way in the legal profession. I think he said he couldn’t afford to be or words to that effect (which puzzled me at the time). I’m aware, from what I read on the original Gasroom, that he switched allegiance at some stage in the past from Wycombe to Watford - which probably didn’t go down too well - but his heart is clearly in the right place and I look forward to his continuing company on the Gasroom.

I like @DevC's posts, and sometimes wonder if the whole downvote thing is just one big hoax to mess with people who aren't in on the joke.

The downvotes on micra were a joke...

• Dev, if we want to consolidate ourselves as a Championship club we need to have training facilities to back it up. Watford for instance, who hopefully we will be playing again next season, set the bar with their training ground.

https://images.app.goo.gl/ncPmLpsRQjnRVxkh7

• We want to be an attractive alternative for talented young players from bigger clubs who haven’t quite made it at a higher level that’s what the development squad is about and that’s what the new training facility is for.
    We are never going to be able to pay stupid money to players but if we can sell ourselves as a doorway into professional football it’s going to pay us great dividends.
    GA wants to be able to tell these guys I can train you in a facility of a standard you are used to and bring you onto a stage where people can see what you can do.
    On that note I wouldn’t be surprised if a player or two from the B&B game makes the bench Jack Young

• @mooneyman said:
    Dev, if we want to consolidate ourselves as a Championship club we need to have training facilities to back it up. Watford for instance, who hopefully we will be playing again next season, set the bar with their training ground.

Not too sure that an inflatable dome is "setting the standard ". Unless you are joking of course? "Come to Wycombe, we've got tins of Carlsberg, £9 burgers and an inflatable dome"

• @thecatwwfc said:

@mooneyman said:
    Dev, if we want to consolidate ourselves as a Championship club we need to have training facilities to back it up. Watford for instance, who hopefully we will be playing again next season, set the bar with their training ground.

Not too sure that an inflatable dome is "setting the standard ". Unless you are joking of course? "Come to Wycombe, we've got tins of Carlsberg, £9 burgers and an inflatable dome"

A little more than an inflatable dome! I'm sure Gareth would like to occasionally have the opportunity to train on covered pitches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=56448958

• I think some people are underestimating the state of the current training ground, I've been fortunate enough to have been up there through work this season and it's pretty impressive up there compared to what it used to be, and obviously a lot more hi tech than some think

• Another important question in this new ground is who will own it. It almost certainly won't be FALL, will it be registered to WWFC or the Feliciana consortium?

• Important for clarity, @ReadingMarginalista, to preface ground with ‘training’ or to describe it as a complex in order to avoid opening a whole new debate about the pros and cons of moving from Adams Park. Unless I’ve completely misunderstood the proposals and that is indeed a possibility.

• @mooneyman said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@mooneyman said:

A little more than an inflatable dome! I'm sure Gareth would like to occasionally have the opportunity to train on covered pitches.

The first link that you sent was a link to a picture of a dome. An academy/kids training facility at most.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@mooneyman said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@mooneyman said:

The first link that you sent was a link to a picture of a dome. An academy/kids training facility at most.

The dome is used by the first team squad when the weather is bad and covers a pitch 79m × 117m and is 22 metres high being fully air-conditioned. I doubt Gareth would turn his nose up at such a facility.

• @mooneyman said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@mooneyman said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@mooneyman said:

The dome is used by the first team squad when the weather is bad and covers a pitch 79m × 117m and is 22 metres high being fully air-conditioned. I doubt Gareth would turn his nose up at such a facility.

The surface is also rock solid and causes injuries if used on a daily basis, as proven by the state of my knees a few years back. I'm sure Gareth would 100% turn his nose up at something you would use a handful of times a year and is likely to cost a small fortune.

Money better spent elsewhere in my opinion but let's see.

• @micra said:
    Important for clarity, @ReadingMarginalista, to preface ground with ‘training’ or to describe it as a complex in order to avoid opening a whole new debate about the pros and cons of moving from Adams Park. Unless I’ve completely misunderstood the proposals and that is indeed a possibility.

I of course meant training ground, I clearly was in too much of a rush this morning!

• No worries (as the younger fraternity tend to say!).

• @micra said:
    No worries (as the younger fraternity tend to say!).

Saying not as new as you think!

https://www.rd.com/article/no-worries/