Skip to content

Half-term: WW v Wigan Athletic

2»

Comments

• I guess we will see tomorrow. I don’t remember seeing anything. It would be unusual for this to happen when he played for neither club that I’m aware of.
    Very sad as he was so young.

• edited February 2022

Thank's @Commoner I appreciate that. I'm sure I spotted something but then again I've been feverish for a while. I feel I recall it because, it was unusual for opposition fans to comment and suggest. We're a class club normally so I'd not be surprised.

• @ValleyWanderer I think I saw something similar but can’t remember where, perhaps on Twitter? It’s a teal shame that football ‘tribalism’ stops this kind of thing from happening. Beauchamp was a cracking player in the lower leagues and it’s very sad for him and his family with the circumstances of his premature passing.

Don’t take lack of responses sometimes as a lack of interest. Sometimes I feel the same as my posts that I spend a fair bit of time writing get little response. I think it’s just the way it goes at times, keep posting as you’re one of only a small band on here :-)

• edited February 2022

@ValleyWanderer said:
    Out of interest, I'm sure I read somewhere on the Gasroom that there was a suggestion for applause at 7 minutes tomorrow in remembrance and support of Joey Beauchamp. I can't seem to find it now but I certainly respect that kind of gesture in our football community.

It was me, I mentioned it on the Cheltenham thread late on Saturday night. Page 12 I think..
    _
    Ok so I guess some perspective. Personally I’ve now relaxed after being pretty fed up today from the game.

2 thoughts, based on Paul McCarthy who has been mentioned today and also the sad news coming from our M40 neighbours Oxford Utd.

1 Some say a back 3 can’t work. I feel that with McCarthy, Bates and Cousins in the team we would have won somewhere between 5 and 7 nil today. Not only were they all excellent defenders in their own right, but we had not one leader in the team today of their desire and calibre in my opinion when we were falling apart.

2 Rest In Peace to Joey Beachamp. My heart goes out to his family and his football family in Oxford. He was a fantastic footballer in his prime. He loved that club in a way our own Matt Bloomfield loves us, and I for one would give him a clap in 7th minute on Tuesday night.

Night all._

• Mind you I’m now doubting myself if he was number 7 or 11. I thought he was 7 and Chris Allen 11 but now I’m not so sure

• Thanks guy's, I'm glad I hadn't imagined it!

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    ..... I meant what I said in that I'd be happy to show support for people when they're in a terrible situation so I'll likely break into applause on 7 mins on my tod. I'll probably get marched out by the stewards. Next time I'll bring a drum. Really feeling not part of a 'Wycombe' family at present.

@ValleyWanderer - I could start a 'Sad Times - Joey Beauchamp' thread on here at 19:52 (or 19:56) tonight if that would help prevent you being chucked out of tonight's game - I don't want either for you to miss all the goals or the attendence figure to be mucked up. Although I do think we could do with a drum.

I read a piece about fans at the Leeds v Man U game which described the intensity of the passions felt, and the levels of policing that was required to keep public order. There was some reasoned speculation, based on talking to Leeds fans, that one of the main drivers of the passion at that particular game aside from the red rose / white rose history was the sense of loss for the Leeds fans of their first season back in the top flight - missing out on that fixture and all the other exciting fixtures last season.

There have been a lot of opportunities missed in the past days, weeks, months, couple of years. I think Football being played and feeling part of it has been of sustainance to many of us - I know it has been to me. The 5 - 5 draw could feel like a loss to many of us, not just for the manner of how it happened, but because we would feel that the route to our recovery of our lost season in the Championship looks more problematic. However we did recover quite nicely from the Southend Play-Off Final and I remember how bad that felt.

This has been a long winded way of saying to @ValleyWanderer (and anyone else), please don't stop feeling part of the Wycombe Family.

I will start a Joey Beauchamp thread at an appropriate time tonight if I'm encouraged. I am sure that many of our rivals up the road would appreciate it.

• Thank you @railwaysteve and the Wycombe family that have responded. I was a bit down following self isolation and feeling pretty unwell at times and posted in an unusual manner for me. I'm out of isolation, testing negative and feeling positive! i'll keep an eye out on here. Thank's again and COYB!

• Chin up @ValleyWanderer.

I enjoy your postings and you are a valued contributor to the Gasroom.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Out of interest, I'm sure I read somewhere on the Gasroom that there was a suggestion for applause at 7 minutes tomorrow in remembrance and support of Joey Beauchamp. I can't seem to find it now but I certainly respect that kind of gesture in our football community.

@ValleyWanderer - Dare I suggest the pendants might not have seen this as a question but as a statement and, therefore, didn't feel it needed a reply?

(A poor attempt by me to lighten the mood - feel free to thumbs down)

• @Twizz said:

@ValleyWanderer said:

@ValleyWanderer - Dare I suggest the pendants might not have seen this as a question but as a statement and, therefore, didn't feel it needed a reply?

(A poor attempt by me to lighten the mood - feel free to thumbs down)

Yes. I thought it was a statement but who you calling a pendant?

• Oops. Thanks for throwing light on that error, @Wendoverman.

• @Twizz said:
    Oops. Thanks for throwing light on that error, @Wendoverman.

I would have to hand in my pedant's badge orherwise!??

• @micra is training me up for the full pedant's badge! No worries @Twizz and @Wendoverman, thumbs up from me.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Twizz said:

You must have carried out a lot of shithousery to get presented with a pedants badge from @micra!

• Afternoon @ValleyWanderer. Very pleased to hear that you’re feeling better. I can think of few other supporters who are as committed as you are to the Wycombe family. It was a pleasure (a few years ago now) to make your acquaintance and subsequently to meet you and your lovely lady from time to time in the “Village” and the Caledonian Bar. Happy memories.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Twizz said:

Hand it over mate.

• @micra said:

>
    Afternoon @micra, I can assure you the pleasure was all ours. I hope that with temperatures rising and covid retreating somewhat, we will see you take your place in the FA again. It would be nice if the club were able to find you a parking slot behind the away stand to reduce your 'commute'.

• Apologies @ValleyWanderer. Don’t know how I missed your post until now. Anything yellow, I’m generally there!
    I was very lucky just before the start of the season to be offered a space (paid for of course!) in the main car park less than 100 yards from the Honours Lounge (of which I’m a member). My mobility has suffered a great deal over at least the last two years (sheer neglect of exercise on my part) and it became quite an effort to walk to block Q and to negotiate the concrete steps but the overriding factor is my fear of recurrences of the fibrillation/tachycardia which has overcome me more frequently at (or approaching) Adams Park than anywhere else. Ironic really but, after the first few occurrences, the fear has been ever present and, psychologically, that obviously doesn’t help.

Last week, for the umpteenth time, I had a 24 hour monitor and an echocardiogram but I’m not due to have an appointment with the consultant - by telephone! - until 28 April. My hope is that I will be able to have an ablation and/or a sub-cutaneous defibrillator - a variant on the pacemaker.

I should have sent this as a direct message but I didn’t expect it to be so long and I write so slowly that I couldn’t bear to delete and repeat!

Would be good to meet (the four of us) for lunch some time. I’ll switch to DM for that.

• No worries at all @micra, we will always meet you guy's anywhere you choose. This of course applies to everyone else on the Gasroom. Just shout and we'll be there.

• Cheers @ValleyWanderer. Will be in touch.