Skip to content

Half-term: WW v Wigan Athletic

Some counties have their half-term holiday this week but Bucks is next week. It just so happens WW have a massive home game on Tuesday v Wigan Athletic. How about a special half-term offer WW to encourage as many families & youngsters along as possible? It was lovely to see so many kids at Long Crendon last night. We seem to raise our game with a big crowd. Next Tuesday we need to attract a big gate & really get behind the team for this vital match. So how about it WW?

Comments

• I recall that every time we've had offers in the past we've gone and lost, thus negating the positives of an increased crowd of newbies. I'd be thrilled to beat Wigan but an offer (unlikely with the Couhig mantra) could be adding to the difficulties we experience with a 'large' crowd midweek with reduced estate parking and squeezed access/egress. A Saturday game would be a better bet.

• The quid a kid game curse.

• I was told the Couhigs don't do discounts. That's been the case with the club shop and I assume it also applies to ticketing - fair enough if that's all part of their hopefully successful model.

• edited February 2022

Great news

Well done to all concerned

• Payment for the use of the car park.

• excellent.

• It’s bums on seats that matters. Earlier this season Charlton offered season-ticket holders a couple of free seats for certain matches & were rewarded with 26,000 crowds. Better atmosphere, more food, drink & programmes sold. You’ve got to be very proactive to boost sales in this current economic environment. I was really impressed the way little Long Crendon galvanised local support.

• @A_Worboys said:
    It’s bums on seats that matters. Earlier this season Charlton offered season-ticket holders a couple of free seats for certain matches & were rewarded with 26,000 crowds. Better atmosphere, more food, drink & programmes sold. You’ve got to be very proactive to boost sales in this current economic environment. I was really impressed the way little Long Crendon galvanised local support.

Your opinion I am sure but some believe more in value and the more clubs give away tickets the more people just wait for those deals. They would never dream of paying full price because they don’t see it as value.

Also has a regular attendee I don’t actually see in reality any of the other benefits you list. Personally the bigger the crowd the more hassle it is to travel, park or buy anything. Extra children add nothing to the atmosphere either. If the adults bringing them are drinking loads of beer we are all in trouble.

Finally the programme is very sadly no more. Would be very impressive to sell more

• What a miserable post

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@A_Worboys said:
    It’s bums on seats that matters. Earlier this season Charlton offered season-ticket holders a couple of free seats for certain matches & were rewarded with 26,000 crowds. Better atmosphere, more food, drink & programmes sold. You’ve got to be very proactive to boost sales in this current economic environment. I was really impressed the way little Long Crendon galvanised local support.

Your opinion I am sure but some believe more in value and the more clubs give away tickets the more people just wait for those deals. They would never dream of paying full price because they don’t see it as value.

Also has a regular attendee I don’t actually see in reality any of the other benefits you list. Personally the bigger the crowd the more hassle it is to travel, park or buy anything. Extra children add nothing to the atmosphere either. If the adults bringing them are drinking loads of beer we are all in trouble.

Finally the programme is very sadly no more. Would be very impressive to sell more

I don’t agree with the children comment. If only a handful turn into season ticket holders and long term fans, it’s a success.

• I'm glad I wasn't left at home when I was a child because I "added nothing to the atmosphere"

I might never have fallen in love with this wonderful club

• @eric_plant said:
    What a miserable post

Indeed.

• I still don’t see the point of a half-full Family Stand as opposed to a full one?

• Think a couple of people are extending my post in to something it is not.

I was responding to a post saying more people meant better atmosphere and I just don’t believe that. I love seeing families and children at football but they don’t add to any atmosphere. I’m sure they add plenty of other things but never atmosphere.

Let’s see tomorrow with the school tickets in the away end. Hope they enjoy the game.

• The family orientated and young crowd at Thame on Tuesday made the atmosphere so good. More of that please.

• My first ever ticket to see the Wanderers was a free that came with a pair of Gola trainers. I was probably about 15 and have been here ever since. Same for my brother.

• @PrinceOfCrowell said:

I don’t agree with the children comment. If only a handful turn into season ticket holders and long term fans, it’s a success.

That’s why we have three long standing season tickets and are three Trust members. My boys first came to a home game as part of a Wycombe initiative (penalties at half time on the pitch).

• Did anyone miss @Forest_Blue ?

• My first game at adams park was because my daughter got a free ticket when the club were going round schools taking training. We were season ticket holders for a few years after that. Expanding the young local fan base has to be a good thing in my view.

• One of the developments of encouraging young fans would be for larger schools like Lord Williams in Thame or the Icknield School in Watlington to run minibuses or even coaches to home games. With public transport to Adams Park challenging to say the least it would be a good way of getting extra young fans to games. Parents, used to ferrying kids to school, could drop them off in a familiar place then collect them in the evening. For those parents not interested in football it would probably be an afternoon of peace & quiet for a change!!! There’s so much that can be done to boost the attendances.

• Might be worth suggesting to the club directly

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@A_Worboys said:

I get where you're coming from with a lot of that, but you made it sound just a little bit on the bleak side and I don't fancy your chances of enjoying it if we get back in the championship, as instead of 2 games a season with 7,000+ it'll change to maybe 2 games a season under that.

Freebies to adults is one thing, but freebies to kids is brilliant I think.
    The buzz when I was at school with these freebies being dished out was amazing, and I for one got hooked.

Who is the most likely to support Wycombe long term? The kids who are born and live here. Getting them into games so they aren't lost to the armchair generation, wearing SALAH on their shirt yet never going within 100 miles of Liverpool is essential.

• @Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@A_Worboys said:

Who is the most likely to support Wycombe long term? The kids who are born and live here. Getting them into games so they aren't lost to the armchair generation, wearing SALAH on their shirt yet never going within 100 miles of Liverpool is essential.

Playing at a better level helps with that!

• i> @A_Worboys said:

One of the developments of encouraging young fans would be for larger schools like Lord Williams in Thame or the Icknield School in Watlington to run minibuses or even coaches to home games. With public transport to Adams Park challenging to say the least it would be a good way of getting extra young fans to games. Parents, used to ferrying kids to school, could drop them off in a familiar place then collect them in the evening. For those parents not interested in football it would probably be an afternoon of peace & quiet for a change!!! There’s so much that can be done to boost the attendances.

Never mind transport for kids, how about trying to get that superb network of football specials that we had about 20 years ago back in operation.

You really couldn't beat that. I only had to walk to the end of my road to hop on one.

• The kids in the away end were out singing the terrace at times, so it's clear they added to the atmosphere today.

• Bring ‘em back.

• Interesting to look back to 1999 when we beat Wigan 2-1, in the game before the 'Lincoln escape'. Wigan then were also facing a backlog of games due to success in the Autumn Windscreens Trophy.

• Out of interest, I'm sure I read somewhere on the Gasroom that there was a suggestion for applause at 7 minutes tomorrow in remembrance and support of Joey Beauchamp. I can't seem to find it now but I certainly respect that kind of gesture in our football community.

• You know, I've asked a couple of genuine questions on the Gasroom recently (the above being one) and received no responses at all and I find that totally sh*t! There's no point in me being a member and contributing if this is the case. I meant what I said in that I'd be happy to show support for people when they're in a terrible situation so I'll likely break into applause on 7 mins on my tod. I'll probably get marched out by the stewards. Next time I'll bring a drum. Really feeling not part of a 'Wycombe' family at present.