Skip to content

Where will Wycombe Wanderers finish in the League One table in the 2021/22 season?

edited February 2022 in Football

Using whatever you need, your eyes, brain, tea-leaves, tarot cards, hopeless optimism or just plain desperation, predict where you think we'll finish this season.

Poll not found

Comments

• Always aim low, then you're never disappointed.

• @drcongo said:
      Always aim low, then you're never disappointed.

With regards to following Wycombe it works for me!

• Surely even you end up being right you're still disappointed?

My philosophy is you might as well be optimistic. You'll have plenty of time to be down in the dumps if it doesn't work out as you want it to.

• Worth remembering that anywhere in the top ten would be our fourth best ever finish

• I think bottom end of the playoff spots is doable (although the 23 April fixture v Sheff W offers considerable brown trouser potential).

We could easily just fall short though - I think somewhere between 6th-8th is my expectation at this stage, assuming we don't lose any key players for any extended period.

• @DevC said:
      Worth remembering that anywhere in the top ten would be our fourth best ever finish

I can't believe that if we finish top it would only be our fourth best ever finish.

• @eric_plant said:
      Surely even you end up being right you're still disappointed?

I don't tend to find that, I tell myself I'm realistic, while expecting us not to achieve (despite years of following Wycombe proving me wrong). If we don't achieve, I've enjoyed watching us trying, if we do, I'm over the moon.

• @eric_plant said:
      Surely even you end up being right you're still disappointed?

My philosophy is you might as well be optimistic. You'll have plenty of time to be down in the dumps if it doesn't work out as you want it to.

It means I can go home after a game light last night (or would have done if I had been able to get there and back for an evening KO) and feel disappointed that we hadn’t won on the balance of play but delighted by how well(ish) we had played in parts and the fact that we didn’t lose.

• @bookertease Indeed, I wasn't at all deflated by last nights game, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Fair enough, for what it's worth I'd be very surprised if we finish outside the playoffs and that's actually speaking realistically and rationally rather than with hopeless optimism

We'll soon find out anyway, and as you said we should enjoy watching them attempt it

• @drcongo said:

@DevC said:
      Worth remembering that anywhere in the top ten would be our fourth best ever finish

I can't believe that if we finish top it would only be our fourth best ever finish.

22nd in the Championship in 20/21
      3rd in L1 in 19/20
      6th in L1 in 94/95 (the year we were gubbed out of the play offs by the PL restructuring.)

Have I missed any?

• So top would be our second best highest finish ever?

• Right. Obviously finishing the season with the sort of run required to win the league from here would probably be regarded as our 'best ever' season, even though it would only be our second highest finish ever.

My point (and maybe Devs) is that a finish between 7th and 10th would still represent almost unprecedented levels of success.

• edited February 2022

Being a pessimist is great as you get to enjoy the smug satisfaction of telling people you told them so ;) (although, strangely, I'm not as pessimistic about football as I am most things).

• @ReturnToSenda said:
      Being a pessimist is great as you get to enjoy the smug satisfaction of telling people you told them so ;) (although, strangely, I'm not as pessimistic about football as I am most things).

Whereas i am far more optimistic about most things in life than i am about football.

I would take absolutely no pleasure in missing the play-offs. This team is a joy to support and they deserve every success. A little bit of context never goes amiss though.

• I've gone for automatic...just because I would be laughing to myself up to and throughout the probably very angry play-offs and for a considerable time afterwards.

• My predictions always start wide and then become narrower as the season progresses. At the moment I predict Wycombe will finish 4th at highest, 20th at lowest and possibly anywhere in between. If our second half of the season form continues as it has started I think we end up in mid-table mediocrity.

• This season in L1 always promised to be, and is proving to be tremendously exciting. So competitive, Wycombe in the mix. Strong possibilty of playoffs, and look at the clubs we could be playing if so.

I'm claiming best league in the World, enjoy the ride

• Wigan have some interesting fixtures coming up...Charlton, Crewe, us and then Sunderland.

• Bit mad going to America with their congested schedule

• Rotherham no doubt will be in top two , we have seen all the other clubs above us having a blip I’m not even sure Wigan will be in top 2 ( ok a strong chance). Still think there is a chance for second place even if it’s highly unlikely but who knows, with our experience in the squad would be very surprised if we didn’t make the play offs.

• I think we get in as 6th, but wouldn't be massively surprised to see us anywhere from 4th to 8th to be honest - it's going to be a tight one.

• I am still fairly confident of a top 6 finish, most likely in the playoff places.

I think Rotherham will finish first or second, with Wigan the most likely to run them close.

I reckon alongside us in the playoff places will be franchise, Wednesday & either PNL or Plymouth

• @Malone said:
      I think we get in as 6th, but wouldn't be massively surprised to see us anywhere from 4th to 8th to be honest - it's going to be a tight one.

Exactly my thoughts

• Who do you have as third?

• edited February 2022

Rotherham, Wigan top 2 without doubt.
      Probably Sunderland 3rd as they're 4th now even with this little mad meltdown they're having. When a new manager comes in, surely even they get it right finally.

Oxford and MK are dangerous, and Sheff Wed and Ipswich are coming up hard on the rails, so we really have to get some decent points in the next 2 games and get out of this mini points slump we're in.

• Below Roth and Wigan could be any of those for me. I think sland will just avoid relegation tbh

• I have a feeling that Ipswich will be in the playoffs with Wigan and Rotherham automatics. I would be surprised if Sunderland implode so I think the last two places will be between Sheff Wed, MK, Oxford, Plymouth and us with perhaps one of the mid table teams putting in a decent run of results to get in the mix as well