Skip to content

Matt Bloomfield …

2»

Comments

• edited February 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:
    But what if Bloomfield isn't a good manager? If he is, great, but you can't put the house on culture; there's a balance to be struck with, well, football.

I don't think a League One team - especially Wycombe - can attract a nailed on 'good manager'. You have to take risks on managers at this level of football. The best managers in League 1 recently have been 'low experience' / risky coaches. Manning, Evatt, Lowe etc. At least with Bloomfield you know he's going to carry on the recent club ethos and already has the respect of the players and the culture etc. I think he's nailed on for a caretaker opportunity if Gaz leaves mid-season.

And, for what it's worth, I wouldn't be surprised to see Darius Charles back in some capacity - perhaps as assistant to Blooms.

• We'll be an established Championship team by the time Gaz leaves (if he does at all).

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    We'll be an established Championship team by the time Gaz leaves (if he does at all).

Each to their own, but I disagree. Ainsworth had been positioning himself for a Championship move in the media for a good twelve months prior to us getting promoted against all odds.

If we aren't looking like we'll be automatically promoted (this season or next) by this time next year then I think he will view it as he's taken us as far as he can. By then, he'll have sustained performance for so long that nearly half the Championship would consider him.

• @frequentstander said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    We'll be an established Championship team by the time Gaz leaves (if he does at all).

Each to their own, but I disagree. Ainsworth had been positioning himself for a Championship move in the media for a good twelve months prior to us getting promoted against all odds.

If we aren't looking like we'll be automatically promoted (this season or next) by this time next year then I think he will view it as he's taken us as far as he can. By then, he'll have sustained performance for so long that nearly half the Championship would consider him.

He's said time and time again that it would take something extremely special for him to leave. Blackburn? Probably. QPR? Maybe. But also, I can't see him ever working under a DoF, so that potentially rules out a lot of Championship jobs.

We're going up this season anyway.

• @Otter87 said:
    I'd love for Matt to become our next manager if/when GA moves on to bigger and better things. However, it would worry me as he doesn't have any experience, he isn't even in charge of the Development Squad. I reckon the next manager we have will be told that Matt has to be his Assistant and to mentor.

He does coach the Ipswich Academy players though.

• edited February 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:

@frequentstander said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

He's said time and time again that it would take something extremely special for him to leave. Blackburn? Probably. QPR? Maybe. But also, I can't see him ever working under a DoF, so that potentially rules out a lot of Championship jobs.

What people say and what they do can be very different - Ryan Lowe.

I'm not saying Ainsworth is lying, but 'special' is contextual. 70%+ of Championship clubs could be viewed as 'special' opportunities (just exclude Reading, Birmingham, Bristol C, Derby, and other such financially-troubled clubs). We must not forget we are punching well above our weight in the Couhig era. We are still a 'small' club in comparison.

I also think we have a big chance of going up this season - either automatically or via playoffs. Statistically, it's much more likely we don't go up though.

• edited February 2022

Blooms is an Ipswich fan, and his family still live up that way. He's been absolutely incredible for us, but I wouldn't for one minute be unhappy with him or blame him If he wanted to leave to be able to work nearer home for another team he loves. I'd wish him all the best.

• @frequentstander said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@frequentstander said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I'm not saying Ainsworth is lying, but 'special' is contextual. 70%+ of Championship clubs could be viewed as 'special' opportunities (just exclude Reading, Birmingham, Bristol C, Derby, and other such financially-troubled clubs). We must not forget we are punching well above our weight in the Couhig era. We are still a 'small' club in comparison.

I also think we have a big chance of going up this season - either automatically or via playoffs. Statistically, it's much more likely we don't go up though.

Think he's demonstrated more loyalty than Ryan Lowe somehow. A key thing for him he's said a few times is it would need to be somewhere that he's afforded the time to build a squad. He isn't desperate for a payday and has seen others get plumb jobs and then be out on their arse in weeks. He controls everything here and is his own man.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@frequentstander said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@frequentstander said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Think he's demonstrated more loyalty than Ryan Lowe somehow. A key thing for him he's said a few times is it would need to be somewhere that he's afforded the time to build a squad. He isn't desperate for a payday and has seen others get plumb jobs and then be out on their arse in weeks. He controls everything here and is his own man.

Agreed. If we are in a similar position next season though, I think he sees it as 'well I've done all I can and we don't have the financial resource to sustainably push to the next level so I'm going to try the division above'.

We all know we'd have him back with open arms in a heartbeat - so it's not like his reputation would be in tatters if his next job went wrong.

• edited February 2022

Fans love the idea of a legend/favourite player managing the club, it seems to be the ultimate fantasy.

People were adamant Hayes was going to be the next manager and that never felt on to me.

I think the smart money on Bloomfield is moving back nearer home to take up a coaching, maybe assistant manager role that way. It's one thing dealing with the long commute / half a week away from home as a player, but as a coach, I don't know long term.

I can't see Ainsworth going anywhere any time soon hopefully either.
    He's seen we can make the championship, and while it would always have taken a great offer to move him before, that's magnified now.

• You've got to have the right board to appoint a club legend as manager - can they sufficiently detach themselves so that if they need to sack them, emotion doesn't get in the way of that? As I've already said, Ainsworth is an exception to the rule - and I'd say the chances of anyone being another Gaz are extremely slim.

• You should Google "Bill Shankly", "Bob Paisley" and " Anfield bootroom"

• Paisley is another notable exception to the rule. It could work out again with Blooms, but I don't think that should be our default approach (besides, as @Malone says, we might well not even get that opportunity).

• Also, Paisley had been Shankly's assistant for 15 years - hardly comparable to the Blooms-Gaz dynamic.

• A lot depends on what Dobbo would want to do if Gaz was to move on.

• Back Blooms as successor…this could be the start of the Liverpool ‘boot room’ and that did pretty well, didn’t it?

• I think naming the Martin O’Neill and Gareth Ainsworth stands is a really good idea…if we had the money then a statue of Blooms and Bayo holding up the League One Play off trophy would be fantastic in the lower car park.

• Matt on Football Focus on Saturday with Clemmo. Press team working hard for us!

• I don't think stands should be named after current staff. Bit cringey and I think the recipient wpuld feel the same.