Skip to content

Matt Bloomfield …

Ok so early days I appreciate, but personally I do agree with some others on here about the Family Stand being in Matt’s name. It’s does feel very appropriate in all honesty.

So..

Poll not found

Comments

• *and undecided that should read!!’

• I voted yes, but we are going to need stands for Gareth Ainsworth, Bayo and Joe Jacobson too at some point!

• @Shev said:
      I voted yes, but we are going to need stands for Gareth Ainsworth, Bayo and Joe Jacobson too at some point!

We can name the right hand side in swinging corner flags after JJ

• Would imagine Bloomfield will be Ainsworth's successor one day. If that occurs, it would open us up to a lot of embarrassment from away fans if the stand is named after him and we're taking a battering.

• ? Interesting point.

• One man in Wycombe's history stands alone in being worthy of having a stand or ground named after him, and that's already happened

• @eric_plant said:
      One man in Wycombe's history stands alone in being worthy of having a stand or ground named after him, and that's already happened

Which one is the Trevor Aylott stand ?

• @eric_plant said:
      One man in Wycombe's history stands alone in being worthy of having a stand or ground named after him, and that's already happened

All ideas of how best to celebrate Blooms that are not unseemly are welcome on here I think, eric

• What about naming the high board at handy cross after him?

• Got to have O Neill first in the queue for any significant naming jobs I think.
      Ainsworth a close second.
      Then player wise there's a few arguably more valid like Carroll for my generation and a couple of others for older players.

However , a bar or lounge sounds a good idea.

They could name all the boxes after a legend...

• @Malone said:

I like that idea.

• @Malone said:

Best idea so far

• Now wait for the new Gasroom thread on suitable Legends!?‍♂️??

• Naming the exec boxes after legends is a great idea. My wife's old workplace has all its meeting rooms named after famous Oxfordians (Tolkien, Carroll, Pulman etc).

• Colin Daniel

• Boxes being named after legends is a great idea. 20 I believe? From my time watching maybe to be considered, in no particular order: Ryan, Cousins, McCarthy, Carroll, Brown, Simpson, Bloomfield, Bayo, JJ, Taylor, McSporran, Currie, Devine, Bates. Lots of great players from previous times also like Horseman, Aylott, Regis, Garner, etc etc. Then maybe O’Neill Lounge and Ainsworth Lounge for 2 Lounges/Bars?

• We had the Ricardo Batista box once. He actually hosted it but they had to stop as he just kept wandering out of it

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
      Naming the exec boxes after legends is a great idea. My wife's old workplace has all its meeting rooms named after famous Oxfordians (Tolkien, Carroll, Pulman etc).

I assume they played in the Headington United era!

• edited February 2022

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
      Naming the exec boxes after legends is a great idea. My wife's old workplace has all its meeting rooms named after famous Oxfordians (Tolkien, Carroll, Pulman etc).

It could work like those Hall of Fame type things.
      The club could make a huge thing of it, announcing them, or even getting fan votes on them.
      I know we're big on the ex players thing, this would top it off for me.

They'd have to work out if you can only qualify once you've left the club, as Ainsworth very much deserves something for instance, but he could still have years and years here (hopefully).

Bloomfield we "assume" will still coach here for years, but would we do it now, to mark his playing retirement, or wait until he's actually left?> @frequentstander said:

Would imagine Bloomfield will be Ainsworth's successor one day. If that occurs, it would open us up to a lot of embarrassment from away fans if the stand is named after him and we're taking a battering.

I'm not sure on this.
      I think he might end up back at Ipswich coaching for family reasons.

It must be one heck of a mission commuting that far and presumably staying away from family in the week regularly. Worth it as a player, maybe not as much as a coach?

• @Quarterman said:
      Boxes being named after legends is a great idea. 20 I believe? From my time watching maybe to be considered, in no particular order: Ryan, Cousins, McCarthy, Carroll, Brown, Simpson, Bloomfield, Bayo, JJ, Taylor, McSporran, Currie, Devine, Bates. Lots of great players from previous times also like Horseman, Aylott, Regis, Garner, etc etc. Then maybe O’Neill Lounge and Ainsworth Lounge for 2 Lounges/Bars?

I like the differentiation of the managers for lounges. That's a good development on the box thing.

The glorious nostalgia of picking the players would be a good conversation.

Very difficult conversation and a lot dependant on your generation.

I'm on the young end of middle aged, so the Horseman and suchlike I don't know too much about.
      And similar for the 20s guys on the Ryan/Carroll/Cousins generation.

Without any doubt Bayo and JJ are unarguable though.

Maybe the hall of fame idea might be an even easier way to recognise these players.
      Then you take away the 20 limit too.

And you can have batches.
      You could do batches by generation.

• @Malone said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:

It could work like those Hall of Fame type things.
      The club could make a huge thing of it, announcing them, or even getting fan votes on them.
      I know we're big on the ex players thing, this would top it off for me.

They'd have to work out if you can only qualify once you've left the club, as Ainsworth very much deserves something for instance, but he could still have years and years here (hopefully).

Bloomfield we "assume" will still coach here for years, but would we do it now, to mark his playing retirement, or wait until he's actually left?> @frequentstander said:

Would imagine Bloomfield will be Ainsworth's successor one day. If that occurs, it would open us up to a lot of embarrassment from away fans if the stand is named after him and we're taking a battering.

I'm not sure on this.
      I think he might end up back at Ipswich coaching for family reasons.

It must be one heck of a mission commuting that far and presumably staying away from family in the week regularly. Worth it as a player, maybe not as much as a coach?

Very possible, but here he's well respected and working with the first team, and easily makes a five man shortlist should the top job come up . At Ipswich he was only helping out with the kids I believe. Football does nepotism like very few industries are still allowed to and he's one of our legends not theirs.

• I've thought for a while, along with many others I'd imagine, that he will be our next manager.

I didn't, however, know the extent of the health issues he has been suffering following on from repeated concussions towards the end of his career. It goes without saying that his health is by far the most important thing.

• I'd love for Matt to become our next manager if/when GA moves on to bigger and better things. However, it would worry me as he doesn't have any experience, he isn't even in charge of the Development Squad. I reckon the next manager we have will be told that Matt has to be his Assistant and to mentor.

• The next manager should be whoever's the best fit for the job. Internal appointments rarely work out; Gaz is one of few notable exceptions.

• I slightly disagree. I feel like so much of our success is down to internal culture, and I'd hate an outsider to come in and change that.

• @Otter87 said:
      I'd love for Matt to become our next manager if/when GA moves on to bigger and better things. However, it would worry me as he doesn't have any experience, he isn't even in charge of the Development Squad. I reckon the next manager we have will be told that Matt has to be his Assistant and to mentor.

That really depends on whether that process kicks off in 2 weeks time or in 30 years time, and probably a good deal on whether Dobbo wants it , wants to go with Gaz or wants to stay and help Blooms. Hopefully not something we have to worry about anytime soon.

• edited February 2022

@drcongo said:
      I slightly disagree. I feel like so much of our success is down to internal culture, and I'd hate an outsider to come in and change that.

That is important, no doubt, but we can't rely on that lineage, if you like, continuing indefinitely. If Blooms is the next Gaz then who is the next Blooms? And it's entirely possible that neither Blooms nor anyone else among the current crop make good managers. I think Gaz will be here for a very long time yet, but I'd also like to think that we now hold enough of a pull to attract better managers than we'd have been able to before - maybe even poach them.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@drcongo said:
      I slightly disagree. I feel like so much of our success is down to internal culture, and I'd hate an outsider to come in and change that.

That is important, no doubt, but we can't rely on that lineage, if you like, continuing indefinitely. If Blooms is the next Gaz then who is the next Blooms? And it's entirely possible that neither Blooms nor anyone else among the current crop make good managers. I think Gaz will be here for a very long time yet, but I'd also like to think that we now hold enough of a pull to attract better managers than we'd have been able to before - maybe even poach them.

I'm with @drcongo . So much of our attainment in the league is driven by our unique style/culture and Ainsworth's ability to get 110% effort out of every player. Plus, we've really started to progress the club identity in the last five years. Post-Ainsworth, nobody will be able to continue that identity like Bloomfield. I definitely want the identity to stay. In an ideal world, once Ainsworth goes, he's poached for a fee and Bloomfield comes in as an interim until the end of the season whilst we weigh up our options - gives him a trial run.

• But what if Bloomfield isn't a good manager? If he is, great, but you can't put the house on culture; there's a balance to be struck with, well, football.

• Was Ainsworth a good manager in his first season?

Plenty thought otherwise, even after the miracle of Plainmoor.