Skip to content

THE THREAD TO MAKE YOU FEEL A TAD BETTER

2»

Comments

• Would the payday be worth a few months in the North East getting stick? Remember Wycombe were awful and eighth when they stole promotion.

• Reading the Ainsworth thread demonstrates how they continue to be deluded about their position in the football pyramid. Long may it continue, as the pressure will almost guarantee anyone going in there will fail to meet unreasonable expectations.
    More worrying is their questioning of Gareth’s wardrobe, having strolled around down town Sunderland when we played them up there I observed that the couture has even more room for improvement than the club.

• Massive club at this level I'll give them that. Stadium, Attendances, current owners spending power etc, and that's what makes it funny of course. Genuinely wonder where some of them think their likely true place is though. Other than for a brief period their trips to the Prem have been mostly woeful.

• They’re a woeful Championship/League 1 yo yo club.

• I love one of the Sunderland supporter comments about GA, that he looks like ‘Fonzie on meth’.

• @micra said:
    They’re a woeful Championship/League 1 yo yo club.

Hardly a yo-yo club, unless you've bought a dud one that doesn't come back up again

• @eric_plant said:

@micra said:

Hardly a yo-yo club, unless you've bought a dud one that doesn't come back up again

Yes I remember as a kid how annoying when the yo-yo goes down then on the way up hits a knot which inexplicably appears from nowhere…. must be one of them yo-yo’s ?

• Like it @eric_plant ! And there’s me thinking I was being a bit harsh.

• Everyone I've spoken to whoever they support in League One says whatever happens to them they hope Sunderland stay down...just for amusement value. Bizarre decision as Johnson had as good a chance as anyone to get them up...

• I’ve got a real strong feeling they have completely shot themselves in the foot in the past 24hrs.

They also have let O’Brien and Flanagan go, who may not be the best but know this league. In fact Flanagan started 24 of their 29 league games I just read, and he was only a sub when they lost 6-0 at the weekend.

Defoe sounds great, but he wouldn’t have scored 7 against Bolton and won’t displace Stewart. Stewart’s also now past his purple patch and they currently have no manager.

So who actually signed their 3 new players today exactly?

• @micra said:

Guess that makes them a yo yo club without the string.

• @username123 said:
    I’ve got a real strong feeling they have completely shot themselves in the foot in the past 24hrs.

They also have let O’Brien and Flanagan go, who may not be the best but know this league. In fact Flanagan started 24 of their 29 league games I just read, and he was only a sub when they lost 6-0 at the weekend.

Defoe sounds great, but he wouldn’t have scored 7 against Bolton and won’t displace Stewart. Stewart’s also now past his purple patch and they currently have no manager.

So who actually signed their 3 new players today exactly?

They need to get a manager in that can do things with whatever players happen to be at the club right now, rather than one that builds a team around their own style. Warnock? sounds to me like he would fit that role but doesn't ever seem to stick around for that long.

Whatever happens, if they want promotion this season it will need to be done by any means necessary on the style front rather than good on the eye and successfull.

But the fans won't want that. Because they still think they are a massive Premier league club.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@micra said:

Guess that makes them a yo yo club without the string.

So, just a yo club then !

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    You’ve heard it here first, Jermaine Defoe to sign for us tomorrow on a deal until the end of the season with an option for a further year. Don’t ask me how I know as it is a secret ?.

Sunderland did get him in the end (don't think this was posted already, did try a search but apologies if I missed it).

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jermain-defoe-already-shown-how-22957784

• edited February 2022

Sunderland considering Roy Keane as their next manager ?