Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

1111213141517»

Comments

• Do people genuinely want players booked for stepping into the family stand to retrieve the ball for a throw-in?

• When a regular in the Family Stand, I saw players (both ours and opposition) jump over the hoarding from time to time when the ball was slow being returned. Cannot remember it being an issue but then again, none of the Mums or Dads decided to take the player out.

• What was the story about Kevin Betsy calling some kid in the family stand a c@#t once? I'm certain this happened unless I'm dreaming...

For a family club it seems like that stand is a hot-bed of trouble...

• edited January 2022

Some guy in there looked like he was going to come to blows with Kevin Ellison v Morecambe in the L2 promotion season. Maybe we should rename it the Dysfunctional Family Stand.

• @eric_plant Straight red. That'll learn 'em!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Some guy in there looked like he was going to come to blows with Kevin Ellison v Morecambe in the L2 promotion season. Maybe we should rename it the Dysfunctional Family Stand.

Did anyone find out if that "shover" guy was with kid?
    I'd always assumed it was only a stand you had to be with kids until you said you frequent it.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    What was the story about Kevin Betsy calling some kid in the family stand a c@#t once? I'm certain this happened unless I'm dreaming...

For a family club it seems like that stand is a hot-bed of trouble...

That wasn't at a kid was it?!

• I thought so, but I may be wrong. There was definitely an argument but we're going back 15 years I imagine!

• @Malone when I frequented the Family Stand when my daughter was young and still interested there were quite a number of regulars of all ages without children...a lot of whom would regularly moan about the behaviour of the children IN THE FAMILY STAND!!!
    People can be crazeee!

• Ridiculous to suggest players should be booked for retrieving the ball.

• @Username said:
    Ridiculous to suggest players should be booked for retrieving the ball.

But set against the fact that player get booked for celebrating goals with their own fans, it does seem odd that a player can enter areas housing opposition fans, whatever the reason for doing so.

• @Wendoverman said:
    @Malone when I frequented the Family Stand when my daughter was young and still interested there were quite a number of regulars of all ages without children...a lot of whom would regularly moan about the behaviour of the children IN THE FAMILY STAND!!!
    People can be crazeee!

I used to go in there in the late 90s I think it was, but I don't think it was billed as family stand then.

I dare say there's a lot carton kicking going on, and disinterested kids on whatever electrical devices they've insisted on bringing along.

• It was definitely the Family Stand when I was in there. It does have a good view of the pitch which is why I am now in the Beechdean rather than the top of the FA stand...but complaining about people bringing in families seemed a bit rich. (Even if they are not interested in the game...which I accept is irritating...and exactly why I moved out!)

• edited January 2022

I last went in the Beechdean for those 2 "mask" games, and was surprised at how poor a view it can be of the far touchline if you're at one end of the stand. Not as bad as the last Wimbledon stadium, but not great. Poor leg room too.

And that Wycombe "screamer" at one end too.

COME ON WYCOMBE x 50 a minute :D

• @Wendoverman said:
    It was definitely the Family Stand when I was in there. It does have a good view of the pitch which is why I am now in the Beechdean rather than the top of the FA stand...but complaining about people bringing in families seemed a bit rich. (Even if they are not interested in the game...which I accept is irritating...and exactly why I moved out!)

I’m with you @Wendoverman back row of Beachdean or back row of Family offers great view and a connection with the players.

• @Wendoverman said:
    It was definitely the Family Stand when I was in there. It does have a good view of the pitch which is why I am now in the Beechdean rather than the top of the FA stand...but complaining about people bringing in families seemed a bit rich. (Even if they are not interested in the game...which I accept is irritating...and exactly why I moved out!)

There was me thinking it was because they had run out of cheese and onion! ?

• Always crisps in the family stand @EwanHoosaami it's the haribo and red bull that sells out. Back middle of Beechdean is perfect for me @perfidious_albion ..despite the big dugouts!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Always crisps in the family stand @EwanHoosaami it's the haribo and red bull that sells out. Back middle of Beechdean is perfect for me @perfidious_albion ..despite the big dugouts!

That's where I am too. Back row C block. Crisp always in short supply I'm afraid.

• You two should get together to sort out this deplorable situation. On a serious note, have you two met yet?

• Not that I am aware of @micra.
    As an addition, I didn't hear any of the abuse aimed at Taylor at the last home game either as @Wendoverman stated. I'm not saying it didn't happen & given the comments from 1 or 2 posters on here saying that it did, I fully believe them.
    The acoustics really need sorting in that stand.

• I was on the terrace at the Oxford match and I didn't hear that song. Enough people have mentioned it for there to be no doubt it was sung though.

It's a cretinous thing to sing, it really is

• If a chant is sung but no-one hears it was it ever sung at all?

I hope the Wycombe terrace morons take on board what happened yesterday and stop any chanting that might offend. Trouble is I’ve got no confidence in that happening at all.

• Im in the terrace and it was definitely sung at the Oxford game, not all game obviously, but a few times in the first half. No trace of it at all yesterday though even in retaliation to an MK player. So hopefully it's lesson learnt and won't happen again

• It was definitely sung in the Oxford game, started by one particularly neanderthal like individual who loudly exclaimed "Yes! It's caught on!" when more of the idiot parade started chanting the same.