Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

Comments

• @arnos_grove said:

Enjoy!

the cameraman deserves extra applause for going to the trouble to convey that special 10-pint feeling through the art of shakey-cam.

• Favourite take from the Oxford forum: "we need a Trevor Aylott type striker".

• @Wendoverman said:
    .> @Commoner said:

I’d really like to see our club/players come out and condemn our fans for the sex offender/paedo chants yesterday as well.
    Even if there is any truth in this, which I’m not aware of there being any, then I’d hope we’d not sink to those levels.

Wow! I did not notice any from our lot but if true that is disgraceful and very disappointing. One of the things that I am proud of at Adams Park is the lack of that sort of stuff on the whole.

A tonne of it on Saturday and a tonne the week before.

• Who was dispatched to source the fireworks as we went 2-0 up against this massive club? Usain Bolt?

• Didn't notice it the week before, but Taylor copped a fair bit this week, I assumed there was a back story but apparently not.

Hopefully that'll be the last we hear of that chant, but I'm sure it won't be. The number of "generic" insults which won't get you in trouble has shrunk so far (quite rightly), that sex offenders are one of the few groups that won't get you in trouble for targeting, hence the increase in its use. It's simply replacing the homophobic/ ableist/ ageist/ racist insults which were thrown at opposition players to try and rile them up

• IF IF IF we don't go up, which is a possibilty. Its going to be interesting to see who sticks around.

Vokes
    Stewart
    Horgan
    Taff
    Thompson

I think they'd all get snapped up

• @thecatwwfc said:
    IF IF IF we don't go up, which is a possibilty. Its going to be interesting to see who sticks around.

Vokes
    Stewart
    Horgan
    Taff
    Thompson

Why have you got to ruin my Monday?

• edited January 2022

They won't all go, and we'll replace any who do as we always do. When do we ever not? Trust the process.

But let's go up and keep all of them :)

• @thecatwwfc said:
    IF IF IF we don't go up, which is a possibilty. Its going to be interesting to see who sticks around.

Vokes
    Stewart
    Horgan
    Taff
    Thompson

Firstly we have every right to think we might go up, we've worked hard to be Top but games in hand will come in to play.

Secondly the majority of those players have a back story where they have been hung out to dry or not played for their previous club.

Vokes - Only started 5 games for Stoke in 2020/21 and was available the whole season. He's 33 this year and by all accounts him and his wife have fallen in love with living in Marlow. Staying

Stewart - Left us after the 2013/14 season having let his contract run down. Not signed by anyone until late November and did not play until after Xmas for Crewe. Made 10 appearances for Crewe in 2014/15 and then got released. Staying, though he would be my greatest worry.

Horgan - Never feel like he's let us down but never feel like he's been the difference in a game. I think Gareth will want to keep him but he might be tempted by someone offering him game time in his favoured position.

Taff - Only started seven League games for Hull in the season before joining us and has played at his highest level with us. 31 this year and back living in London, now he's with Wycombe. Staying

Thompson - Completely frozen out by Notts C in League Two before we snapped him up. Still a great age at 28 and key to our success in how we play, him and Scowen are dynamite when they play together. Cant see him wishing to leave to another League One side and I'm not sure he would get signed by a Championship team and play much. Staying

With the money we have left over from last years Championship and this years success we would still have a similar budget for next season. Strong chance we could go up in 2022/23.

I believe we will go up this season.

• Oh God...have we started the 'we're doomed if we do/don't go up' already.
    If players go...Gareth and Dobbo will get some more. This seems to have been the plan for at least the last ten years.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Oh God...have we started the 'we're doomed if we do/don't go up' already.
    If players go...Gareth and Dobbo will get some more. This seems to have been the plan for at least the last ten years.

No, Stewart's off to Oxford - someone suggested it on their forum so it's definitely happening. We couldn't begrudge him a move to a big club, after all.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Oh God...have we started the 'we're doomed if we do/don't go up' already.

I don't get why I get shot down for a question that no doubt GA and Co have asked themselves. What's the big issue?

I think we will go up. This is a discussion board. Was looking to see what people's thoughts were on IF we don't ho up, not to get called a "miserable", "negative" so and so. Everyone can talk ideal scenario.

• No big issue. Don't worry you are not being cancelled by 'them'. I am sure people will engage with your post @thecatwwfc I just think it is very early for such a discussion. That is my opinion expressed on a discussion board.

• There was a lot of fear around Uche and Fred leaving last summer and, well, that hasn't come to pass. I remember similar when O'Nien left. We've probably never had do many players who other clubs might want to pinch of us - but we've also never been so well positioned to adequately replace them.

• @wwfcblue said:

Taff - Only started seven League games for Hull in the season before joining us and has played at his highest level with us. 31 this year and back living in London, now he's with Wycombe. Staying

Taff lives in beaconsfield. Well, knotty green technically because you can see the Beaconsfield sign as he pulls out of his drive way on a few of his YouTube videos.

He was also pictured in Beaconsfields barber Menspire last week.

Either way, I wouldn’t put much weight on where a footballer lives. It’s pretty much an agents job to make sure a player has everything he needs and have the links to make things move (or replaced at a new location) by the time a contract is signed for a new club.

• edited January 2022

@thecatwwfc said:

Vokes
    Stewart
    Horgan
    Taff
    Thompson

First question would surely be are they out of contract? Can I assume the answer to that question is yes?

• The pitch invader has been banned for life

• No previous Wycombe ticket history or affiliation with Oxford.

• edited January 2022

Also, on contract status of the above:

Vokes - OOC but one-year option
    Stewart - OOC
    Horgan - OOC

Unclear on Taf and Thompson, but I think they might be contracted until 2023 - seemed to be reported last Feb that they had extended "through next year [2022] and beyond".

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    No previous Wycombe ticket history or affiliation with Oxford.

Indeed. A neutral hooligan, utterly bizarre.

• I am not sure most of those names listed above would want to leave if we missed out on promotion. Only Stewart would likely leave for a Championship club out of that group. I feel that the remainder would have the choice of a sideways step in league one or staying put with us.

• Even if he's available on a free, I'm not sure too many Champ clubs would go for a player with little experience at that level and who turns 30 shortly after the start of next season.

• Tools had a bad experience when he left before. He is a much loved senior pro, quite a shy lad. Family in London and I believe church are very important. I don’t see him wanting to go anywhere. Has quietly become my favourite and possibly the most consistent performer ‘first name on the team sheet’ etc

• Wow can’t believe we have started to panic about people leaving at the end of the season. Let’s just enjoy this season ?

• Stewart is already a club legend, I wouldn't begrudge him a move to a championship club if one came calling if we didn't go up.

We are going up though, and I think he'll stay either way

• @Username said:
    Didn't notice it the week before, but Taylor copped a fair bit this week, I assumed there was a back story but apparently not.

Hopefully that'll be the last we hear of that chant, but I'm sure it won't be. The number of "generic" insults which won't get you in trouble has shrunk so far (quite rightly), that sex offenders are one of the few groups that won't get you in trouble for targeting, hence the increase in its use. It's simply replacing the homophobic/ ableist/ ageist/ racist insults which were thrown at opposition players to try and rile them up

Yep now we're down to the charming stuff just involving continual moronic use of swear words.
    I'm surprised that hasn't been clamped down on. It is if it's from an individual.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Even if he's available on a free, I'm not sure too many Champ clubs would go for a player with little experience at that level and who turns 30 shortly after the start of next season.

Yep. I think he's pretty off the radar to be honest.
    No doubt the club are working on a decent length deal to keep him though.

• I have not doubt that our unique style of football will lend itself to keeping players - you can't be telling me Championship sides, of which most play progressive passing football, will be wanting players like Curtis Thompson and Daryl Horgan.

That's no disrespect to either of those players, they suit our system very well. But how transferrable are their attributes to a higher level of play.

Not very in my opinion - and for what it's worth, I think Horgan will be off in January if he's to have any chance of keeping a place in the Ireland setup.

I want to see us bring in Shayden Morris.

• Horgan would suit a progressive passing side fine - and I don't think his place in the Ireland squad is under much threat as Stephen Kenny just seems to like him.

He won't leave this month - he'll be one of our highest earners, so we're not gonna tear the contract up, and who's going to put a bid in when he's OOC in six months? We need to keep everyone for the promotion push.

• The only one, I think, who would be looking to move is Horgan even if we got promoted. His game time has been very limited and I'm sure as stated above he need to be playing to keep his international place.
    The remainder might get offers but, as they'll know, the grass isn't always greener elsewhere. All of them, for different reasons, found Wycombe the place for them after being a little bit out of favour. That must count for something.