Skip to content

This would be a nice gesture from WWFC…

Yesterday, I drove to the game from Dorset. Not a bad journey until the Marlow by-pass & Handy Cross, which was awful. Fortunately I’ve got an upper tier season pass so I was able to get to the game on time despite arriving after 2.30pm.

It makes you realise how lucky we are to have people travelling from very long distances to follow Wycombe. In our group we have 2 people who travel from Derby & Loughborough respectively to attend home matches. I know there are also people who travel from the South Coast, West Midlands & South Wales.

Wouldn’t it be a nice gesture of appreciation for all their efforts if WW gave a free season pass to the upper car park for each household that has a season-ticket holder who drives over 50 miles to attend matches? These diehard supporters deserve some recognition for the effort they put in to get to Adams Patk week in, week out!

Comments

• Isn't the half the point of bumping up the car park price to discourage people from parking at the ground?

• The club promised to say thank you to those who gave the club their season ticket refund and they have done nothing. Absolutely nothing. I’m not sure they do gestures.

I have lots of admiration for those who travel miles to matches. They are amazing supporters.
    Seems my journey falls just under your mileage limit so obviously don’t get the same value you think you deserve.

• edited December 2021

I also resent the idea that some fans are somehow better than others because of X, Y and Z. It's great that we have people who are so committed to supporting the team/club, but I doubt they'd want special recognition for something they do for pleasure.

• Maybe a thank you on the big screen. Its commendable, but I don't think you're obligated to a discount because you choose to live far away.

I travel from NE London for every game, round trip of about 4 hours when I factor in walking to the tubes, waiting for trains, getting from the station to the ground etc. I wouldn't expect freebies from the club.

• Talking of nice gestures, thank you to the Car Park Team for giving Christmas cards to some regular customers. They do a great job and are always cheerful and friendly.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I also resent the idea that some fans are somehow better than others because of X, Y and Z. It's great that we have people who are so committed to supporting the team/club, but I doubt they'd want special recognition for something they do for pleasure.

Totally agree. Self entitlement is causing our country so many problems. This is a very them and us idea. I thought the park and ride was set up for those travelling from further away

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Talking of nice gestures, thank you to the Car Park Team for giving Christmas cards to some regular customers. They do a great job and are always cheerful and friendly.

... and, I believe, do not seek or expect any kind of reward or concession.

• Nice idea Andy, hope they go with it

• Would be nice to have all sorts of gestures but you can't really tie up limited spaces for people who don't necessarily want or need them and reward car users over those using often poor public transport.

• In the early '90s the club did recognise the long distance supporters, with an article on them in the programme. I can't remember details but they may have been invited for some hospitality at a game.

• Anyone else think the parking situation around the ground I getting worse? Hardly a bumper crowd yesterday but ended up parked way down West Wycombe Road. Must put off a few potential supporters.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Anyone else think the parking situation around the ground I getting worse? Hardly a bumper crowd yesterday but ended up parked way down West Wycombe Road. Must put off a few potential supporters.

That's fairly inevitable with less cars being welcome up hillbottom road. Don't see how you fix that beyond pointing people at the buses or park and ride. Won't be convenient for all but can't see how the club has any control over prioritising any of that.

• While it would be a nice gesture to acknowledge the ways in which individuals/groups support the club. I don't see distance travelled as being a special category that should entitle anyone to a £150 discount (cost of upper tier parking).

For instance:-
    what about those who have paid the most for their season ticket over the years?
    what about those who have supported the club for the most X years?
    what about those who have stood on the terrace and sung/chanted/been vocal in their support?
    what about those who have spent most in the concession kiosks?
    what about those who have travelled the furthest to away games?
    what about those who have spent most on buying an official kit shirt every time?
    what about those who have introduced others to join and support the club?

I could go on but I hope you get my point ...

• @Steve_Peart said:
    In the early '90s the club did recognise the long distance supporters, with an article on them in the programme. I can't remember details but they may have been invited for some hospitality at a game.

I remember some being recognised on the pitch at a game the other season (can't remember if it was just overseas fans or long-distance in general).

• A free ride on the P&R bus would be better

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    The club promised to say thank you to those who gave the club their season ticket refund and they have done nothing. Absolutely nothing. I’m not sure they do gestures.

I have lots of admiration for those who travel miles to matches. They are amazing supporters.
    Seems my journey falls just under your mileage limit so obviously don’t get the same value you think you deserve.

My thank you is waking up tomorrow and not worrying if the club is going to call in the administrators this week, I’d be happy though if they keep the park and ride for the remaining games this season.

• I travel 140 miles each way for home games. It’s my choice. I don’t need anything for it.

• Bit unfair on those that drive 49 miles @A_Worboys!

• They can just go the long way round.

• @Twizz said:
    While it would be a nice gesture to acknowledge the ways in which individuals/groups support the club. I don't see distance travelled as being a special category that should entitle anyone to a £150 discount (cost of upper tier parking).

For instance:-
    what about those who have paid the most for their season ticket over the years?
    what about those who have supported the club for the most X years?
    what about those who have stood on the terrace and sung/chanted/been vocal in their support?
    what about those who have spent most in the concession kiosks?
    what about those who have travelled the furthest to away games?
    what about those who have spent most on buying an official kit shirt every time?
    what about those who have introduced others to join and support the club?

I could go on but I hope you get my point ...

On re-reading this appears rather more "bah humbug, so what" than I intended. I should have been emphasising that there are many ways in which individuals/groups demonstrate their loyal support. We/They should all be applauded, rather than singling out one certain group.

• Fair play to yourself Mr W, and anyone who makes a long trip regularly.

You make quite a lot of suggestions for marketing etc. Have you taken many to the club? Have they been rejected or adopted?

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Anyone else think the parking situation around the ground I getting worse? Hardly a bumper crowd yesterday but ended up parked way down West Wycombe Road. Must put off a few potential supporters.

I’m finding the places I once parked getting filled up very early. An early arrival and a lot of waiting in the car.

• edited December 2021

That upper car park only holds a maximum of 350 spaces and looks to still have a decent couple hundred minimum in there each game, so I'm not sure how anything could have been worsened? Assuming all the companies in and around are still offering their same spaces as previously?

What it has done is stop that throng of traffic all clogging the road up as much late on, possibly not for Ipswich as that had quite a few road issues locally too, and the dreaded risk of fans waiting ages to get to the gate, then being turned away. Something that would definitely put fans off bothering again.

But if fans are just sitting in their cars not buying anything, that's a far bigger problem.

While I don't eat at home games, living locally, it did seem like the club were going all out bringing in these exciting exotic offerings, and a few at once, plus making a big scene of all the booze tents etc.
    Now it seems to have been replaced by 1 guy operating a home bought grill, and a much reduced tent?

• Lots of grumpy responses to a very sensible suggestion. It’s exactly the sort of thing the club should be doing.

• One man's gesture is another man's 'why can't I have that?' @floyd I noticed a new (to me anyway) car park being offered on the way down to the ground...but at £10.

• Presumably there's the same amount of car park spaces as before, but it's the raise to £10 even outside the ground that's caused people going out further to park?

Shame people don't get more on board with park n ride stuff really, but doesn't seem to be our way here.

• We travel 125 miles each way and like a lot of others try to make most away games. I believe supporting a club is accident of birth. Some of us move away but still follow the Blues. Personally I'm happy to pay for the car parking although one road in and out is a complete pain.

• From a purely commercial point of view why would/should a business offer concessions or discounts to customers based on their distance from the venue?
    (I live in Dover, Kent so find the 6 hour round trip on public transport pretty off-putting so tend to use iFollow)

Certainly offer concessions or discounts for frequent purchases (its called a season ticket btw), perhaps offer additional discounts for longevity of purchases (e.g. loyalty bonus at say 10 years of continuous purchase of season ticket).

Equally to drum up support for the kiosks and on-site food offering why not offer a loyalty card (this can be done electronically too) that entitles you to a discount on your next purchase after spending a certain amount - it works for the likes of Starbucks etc.

• I was told quite early on that the Couhigs don't do discounts, so don't expect a sale in the club shop or anything like that.

• `Some fans also come from Sleaford in Lincolnshire.

As for driving, no thanks. Did it for Ipswich, parking up near Mentmore Road. Took ages to find a spot, an extremely unpleasant experience. I will just stick to walking, even for midweek, can have a couple in the pub that way.

Don't envy those who have little choice.