Skip to content

Man of the Match - Wimbledon

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@wwfcblue said:
    Taf, had Palmer in his pocket the whole game which for me made a bigger impact on stopping them play than anything else we offered.

He rather ruined that by pretty much laying their second goal on a plate for them...

……What he said.
    Not sure if it was the flat footed or lapse in concentration element of his game. Or both?
    He did celebrate Bayo’s goal with the crowd (if not the rest of the team) so we’ll done Taff.

• @LX1 said:
    Don't type 'bark for me, impact sub' on a work computer

Underrated gag.

• And not widely understood - unless I’m being thick (again). @LX1’s wit can often be challenging (but normally well worth the effort). Depends on time of day (or night).

• I thought Wimbledon really snapped into us well first half. Very sharp press, which in slippy conditions led to lots of hurried passes going out of play. Without Scowen/Gape it was difficult for us to wrestle control of the midfield. Although despite that we did get around the press several times and let ourselves down with some poor crosses.

When Bayo does retire it is going to a huge loss. Such a weapon to have from the bench when we’re chasing a game.

• Picking up points without key players in recent games is very welcome. I feared losing Stewart for ant period would be a problem.

Wimbledon are a scummy club but pressed us hard yesterday and deserved a draw. Some, particularly on the terrace it seems, are getting a bit arrogant about our right to win. They need to wind their necks in and follow the culture and values Ainsworth and the players have. I fail to see how getting stroppy and getting at the players is helping as a supporter. I always have.

• @Mandown said:
    Bark for me, impact sub by name……

Thompson got my vote on Tuesday for his tireless work having to pretty much play a lone midfield role and deserves huge credit again.

Stockdale was superb too.

Tin hat firmly in place!! I totally understand why we like Hanlan. However I believe Gaz is having a selection problem with trying to play 4 players in 3 places which has caused a loss of shape. Hanlan, for all his obvious qualities, loses possession far too often for my liking and as a result we are getting caught on the break far too many times. I think McCarthy is also guilty of this. Horgan was excellent when he came on by not giving the ball away and passing the ball ball fantastically well. In conclusion I think it would work better with either Vokes or Hanlan playing up top with players who keep possession far better in behind and going back to a back four with two holding midfielders

Scowen being out has probably contributed to it and we're going a little gung ho to compensate.
    Plus it's a tough call which of Hanlan, Vokes, McCleary and Mehmeti you leave out right now.

Still, loads of games coming up to rotate a little.

• You can still accommodate all four by switching to a back four, which I think we should as we're not feeling the benefit of wing-backs - not on the right anyway, but Obita and GMac could still link up nicely with Obita as an almost wing-back.

• That said, Stewart being out is complicating thongs.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    That said, Stewart being out is complicating thongs.

? How complicated can a thong be?

• @Twizz said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    That said, Stewart being out is complicating thongs.

? How complicated can a thong be?

Well, where do I begin...?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    You can still accommodate all four by switching to a back four, which I think we should as we're not feeling the benefit of wing-backs - not on the right anyway, but Obita and GMac could still link up nicely with Obita as an almost wing-back.

Yep, that would be an option.
    Lose JJ's delivery and assurance at times, but I suppose has to be for the greater good of the attack.

Good to have the options all round.

Hopefully this new striker is decent, as the downside of starting all the attackers is we do lack that pacey late game option. Thought De Barr was going to be it, but he's sort of disappeared off the scene a bit.

• Or JJ plays alongside Thommo? Probably not realistic unless we start playing at a lower tempo, which would entail becoming more possession-based.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Or JJ plays alongside Thommo? Probably not realistic unless we start playing at a lower tempo, which would entail becoming more possession-based.

Not for me. He's a marvel, but a centre mid role out of the blue, I'd not be keen on.

As long as Thommo stays fit, we can get through. If he were out we'd suddenly be struggling, as we don't seem to want to give Pendlebury much of a go even with others out.

• Yeah, I know it's a bit fantastical! I'd bring Pendlebury in on Saturday if no one else is back, although that would probably mean Grimmer and Taf as the CBs - which is ... workable but not ideal.

• edited December 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Yeah, I know it's a bit fantastical! I'd bring Pendlebury in on Saturday if no one else is back, although that would probably mean Grimmer and Taf as the CBs - which is ... workable but not ideal.

Stewart is "Ill" isn't he? We don't know how ill of course, but hopefully a decent chance of being back the next game as it's a week's time?

Just as importantly, it gives Taf a week to get fully fit, as he didn't look 100% yesterday to me, as well he might not post illness himself.

We could go Forino and Taf of course.

• I know none are ideal (young, inexperienced, etc) with a first teamer out but at least we have simeoptions...not something we've enjoyed for a long time!

• @LX1 said:
    Don't type 'bark for me, impact sub' on a work computer

Oops. Bayo

• 4-2-3-1 going forward hopefully. Almost certain Scowen was a hamstring strain so he could be out for a bit. Gape is long term and Pendlebury still a bit raw. Would expect Wheeler or Horgan (who was excellent when he came on so probably edges it for me) in with Thomson next week. Either Grimmer of JJ with Taf next week should Stewart still be out, but hopefully Anthony will feel better next week which is going to be a really tough game.

I’m really hoping the young lad from Swansea is going to give us a real pace option off the bench. If he can be, that would be incredibly useful when leading games. When losing, Bayo is a brilliant option and was nothing short of magnificent yesterday, an absolute masterclass. But (as mentioned many times) I still generally don’t like him for more than a few minutes when leading games and sitting back as we always do. It doesn’t play to his strengths at all. But regardless of that, and regardless of him hanging in his boots in May, we need to keep Bayo involved in the club. He is an amazing individual and adds so much to the club, I’d happily pay him the same contract again to coach, mentor and just continue to be around the club.

• Excellent post @Quarterman.
    I think we’ll find that Ali Al-Hamadi will be a revelation.

• I would make Bayo a vice-president of the club on his retirement @Quarterman (assuming we still have them)

• I'm starting to feel a bit sad that we're approaching Bayo's last game. It's going to be very emotional

• @eric_plant approaching because of Uche coming back in January? ;-)

• Even if that happens there will still always be room for Bayo to come off the bench and do what he did on Saturday

There have been many over the years but that was a genuinely special moment wasn't it?

• Almost up there with his penalty in the Championship last year.

• So sad that that was in front of an empty terrace

• yes. I hoped he'd take the penalty, too, as I'm always more confident when he takes them rather than Joe. Again, it wasn't massively convincing from Joe.

• My second-favourite Bayo goal after that incredible volley v Newport in 2017 (?)

• Are the people who said Bayo should not have been re-signed but were 'happy to be proved wrong' happy to be proved wrong?

• @our_frank said:
    yes. I hoped he'd take the penalty, too, as I'm always more confident when he takes them rather than Joe. Again, it wasn't massively convincing from Joe.

Not sure if I'm misreading but if not, a bizarre take. That was about as cool a penalty as you could have hoped for in that pressure situation.