Skip to content

Wycombe players who never made an appearance

2»

Comments

• Must be a few goalkeepers

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Must be a few goalkeepers

Don't think Steve Arnold did, had a decent career elsewhere.
    Charlie Horlock was on the bench a lot, but I don't think he played a competitive first-team match.

• @Chris said:
    Seb Cann-Svärd

There must be loads of youth team players

Sam Belcher, Eddie 'East-Enders' Savage for starters, were given pro contracts but never appeared competitively for the first team. Dan Fitchett, can't remember for sure without looking it up. Tom Cadmore? Sure there are others that I can't recall at the moment.

• @NewburyWanderer said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Must be a few goalkeepers

Don't think Steve Arnold did, had a decent career elsewhere.
    Charlie Horlock was on the bench a lot, but I don't think he played a competitive first-team match.

Arnold definitely and I think Horlock too

• Jon Sutton

• @micra said:
    That’s the one. Won some drinks company competition, I think. And didn’t we inherit a teammate of Danny Rowe who never actually played?

That was my instant thought when reading the title.

A very bizarre scenario, as it was back in the times we could barely fill a bench, and often were clinging on with a 15 or so man squad.
    To have him sat on the bench every single week, yet not deem him worth the risk of even 2min of action, even in the minor cup was just very strange.
    Must have been contractual, or he was so shockingly poor we couldn't do it.

The other lad you mention, the drinks competition winner, was obviously in that latter boat - too poor to risk.
    His legacy was rumours connecting him to the scenario where Morias signed a 1 year deal, and then literally, days after was turfed out. But as per Sean Devine and his knee injury, we best stop there.

• @Malone said:

@micra said:
    That’s the one. Won some drinks company competition, I think. And didn’t we inherit a teammate of Danny Rowe who never actually played?

A very bizarre scenario, as it was back in the times we could barely fill a bench, and often were clinging on with a 15 or so man squad.
    To have him sat on the bench every single week, yet not deem him worth the risk of even 2min of action, even in the minor cup was just very strange.

The other lad you mention, the drinks competition winner, was obviously in that latter boat - too poor to risk.
    His legacy was rumours connecting him to the scenario where Morias signed a 1 year deal, and then literally, days after was turfed out. But as per Sean Devine and his knee injury, we best stop there.

Remember Barry Richardson absolutely tearing him apart in pre season and some comments about him just being nowhere near, contract was paid by Samsung I think

• Clark made two appearances in the EFL Trophy for us this season

• @thedieharder said:

Clark made two appearances in the EFL Trophy for us this season

Well that probably says everything about how much attention I pay to that competition!

• I always take these releases as a further example of the flawed elite academy system. One of the top clubs in Europe hoards talents and then they get released too late.

• Yep! And most of them are there just to form a team around the few identified early on as likely to make it.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:

@micra said:

Remember Barry Richardson absolutely tearing him apart in pre season and some comments about him just being nowhere near, contract was paid by Samsung I think

Yes he was a competition winner of something set up by Samsung, definitely not a drinks company.

• It would be interesting to see what percentage went on to play in the EFL, I bet it's still only 20-30% of the total.

• @wwfcblue said:

It would be interesting to see what percentage went on to play in the EFL, I bet it's still only 20-30% of the total.

"Of the 4,109 former academy footballers, 70 per cent were not even handed a professional contract at a Premier League or English Football League club. And only one in 10 has gone on to make more than 20 league appearances in the top four tiers of English football."

You're pretty much spot on!