Skip to content

Match day thread: Hartlepool (FA Cup, Replay)

Comments

• It's just weird to me that people are happy now knowing.

To me, how long he is out for is absolutely key to our chances of success this season. If he's back in the next few weeks I reckon we've still got a really good chance of doing something.

If he's out for the next few months it's going to massively hinder our chances.

Given how important the fortunes of the football club are to all of us it's staggering to me that people aren't desperate to know the situation. It literally changes the way we feel about this season.

Seems I'm in a minority though, certainly on here, so no reason whatsoever why the club should change tack on this.

• @arnos_grove said:
    It's not something I've ever got too angry about. Me knowing whether a player is going to be fit this Saturday or after Christmas isn't going to make any difference to their actual return date. That remains outside of my control whether I'm told or not, so I just assume the player will be unavailable and then get a nice surprise when they're named on the team sheet.

In fact, I used to get more annoyed by claims that people were 'close to fitness' followed by their non-appearance for a further three months (or that they had seemingly incurable colds).

You should run a garage

"any idea how long that repair is going to take?"

"can't say mate"

"fair enough, out of my control. Be a nice surprise when it's done"

• @arnos_grove So you were annoyed when we were told that McCleary failed a fitness test and then we haven't seen him for 4 weeks?

• Let's not pretend that if the club said 'Player X will be out for about two weeks' and then they suffered a setback in their recovery and missed another month, fans wouldn't start kicking off that they'd been lied to.

• Generally, if you always tell the truth then people believe what you say

• @our_frank said:

@glasshalffull The scan came after the fitness test, I guess? Such credulousness does you no favours.

No, of course not. The medical team advised that a test on his shoulder on the day of the game would determine if he was fit enough to play but then the results of the scan came through and it was obvious that he wouldn’t be fit. Why are you so suspicious of the club’s motives? If they announced that McCleary or any other player would be out for a specified period of time, what difference would that make to you?

• Do you know how long he's likely to be out for?

• Didn't Ainsworth say that he expected to have McCleary back by the end of the month in an interview the other day? Might have been in the post match Portsmouth interview.

• As they have my season ticket money, I will turn up for as many home games as I can and hope to God the team put out can win the match. I am also desperately keen on GMac getting back but knowing if that will be in a week or next month honestly makes no odds to me...I don't feel I am being duped by the club and I'm paying his wages. If he was seen skateboarding with the yoof somewhere or doing I'm a Celebrity in the run up to Christmas I would be well pissed off mind.

• Genuinely @our_frank, is it credulity or credulousness? What’s the difference?

• @our_frank said:
    [...] are content to be kept in the dark over players they pay to go and watch [...]

Maybe this is the difference between the 3 people who find it unacceptable, and the rest of us who don't give a toss - I don't pay to watch individual players, I pay to watch my team. Which individual players constitute that team on the day has no bearing on whether I'm going to turn up and watch. Indeed, we don't get told the team sheet a week in advance either, but most of us don't care, we're still going to turn up, pay and watch the team. I can't see the difference between knowing Player X is injured, or Player X has not been selected this week. It's the team I'm paying to watch.

• @eric_plant said:
    It's just weird to me that people are happy now knowing.

To me, how long he is out for is absolutely key to our chances of success this season. If he's back in the next few weeks I reckon we've still got a really good chance of doing something.

If he's out for the next few months it's going to massively hinder our chances.

This is exactly the bit I don't understand. What would you do differently if you knew he was going to be out for 3 months, to if you knew he was going to be out for 3 minutes? What meaningful difference would it make to you, the club, the player etc. beyond @eric_plant knows something?

• I've tried to explain it, obviously not very well

• I've never seen an explanation of what meaningful difference it would make, or how it would change your behaviour. Could have missed it, can you remember where?

• The difference it makes in knowing when our best player will be fit to return is obvious to any supporter surely? Knowing Garath McCleary will start against Bolton Wanderers would be a huge boost to everyone’s morale. It will give everyone a much-needed injection of optimism following three rather depressing weeks.

It wasn’t so long ago that supporters were actually paying to sign players (through the 500 club). They are now paying through the nose for tickets and food. The relationship between the club and it’s supporters should be a two-way Street based on mutual respect. Keeping them in the dark does not speak of respect.

• Do you phone them up to let them know you can't make it one week because you have a cold?

• @drcongo said:
    I've never seen an explanation of what meaningful difference it would make, or how it would change your behaviour. Could have missed it, can you remember where?

I mean, it doesn't make a "meaningful difference" to the health of Railway Steve to know what's going on with him either does it? But I was certainly grateful to read the update given by his daughter.

I'd have to check that thread to see if you were similarly pleased to be updated

• You can’t compare a supporter with a player. It’s an absurd comparison.

• Sorry, thought it was a two way street.

• I’m not sure being deliberately obtuse helps your argument. My fitness makes no difference as I won’t be playing, much to the relief of everyone.

• @eric_plant said:
    Do you know how long he's likely to be out for?

He doesn’t even know himself. Recovery from injury is not an exact science, some players are more resilient than others, some can be nearing fitness then have a setback, some can overcome the original injury only to suffer a new problem. What would be the point in saying player x will be out for, say, three weeks only for him to take twice as long to get fit again.

• So if there's no point in knowing anything about it, then why do you know?

• I don’t know. You are just being pedantic.

• @eric_plant said:
    So if there's no point in knowing anything about it, then why do you know?

Sounds like an exercise in Epistemology.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I don’t know. You are just being pedantic.

I'm genuinely not. I'm interested in how you know as I think it gets to the heart of this discussion

• Why do you keep asking the same question? I have no idea when McCleary will be fit to return to the team. I think he’s a wonderful player who has been sorely missed and I very much hope he’s back soon.

• Well, you said he doesn't know himself when he'll be back which suggests you've either spoken to him or someone who knows, and naturally you've asked how he's doing.

That's perfectly understandable, it's what anyone would do.

So I would have thought you'd appreciate why fans might want to know how serious his injury is. I honestly never thought it was that controversial for a fan of a club want to know the progress of injured players. It's amazing to me.

If any one of us on here bumped into Garath McCleary down the shop tomorrow we would ask him how he's doing and when he might be back. Every single one

• edited November 2021

I asked Curtis Thompson that once and got 'Hopefully soon'.

• But you asked, and that's the point

• @railwaysteve is a gasroom regular who has been seriously ill. I am happy to find out his operation has been successful...I am less bothered about when he can get back up to speed sorting out the rediction spreadsheets. Ridiculous comparison.