Skip to content

Match day thread: Hartlepool (FA Cup, Replay)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mooneyman said:
    Bayo and Vokes should never play together as it makes the team totally unbalanced. Bayo is best deployed replacing Vokes with around 20 minutes to go or starting when Vokes is rested/injured.

Agree. Odd decision by Ainsworth to start both of them. However Bayo now is only an impact player. Cannot start a game.

• Bloody hell @davecz, I wish I had been an impact player at the age of 40. Come to think of it I wasn’t even an impact player at 25 ??

• @davecz said:

@mooneyman said:
    Bayo and Vokes should never play together as it makes the team totally unbalanced. Bayo is best deployed replacing Vokes with around 20 minutes to go or starting when Vokes is rested/injured.

Agree. Odd decision by Ainsworth to start both of them. However Bayo now is only an impact player. Cannot start a game.

You could have typed that message five years ago and been wrong then too.

• One thing is always true in football: a couple of wins, and you feel like you are going to win every game. A couple of defeats, and you wonder where the next win is coming from!

I actually think this season has been fantastically enjoyable so far. No spectre of relegation, just a vigorous fight for promotion in a stacked division with our best ever squad. Of course there are slings and arrows, but what a time to be alive!!!!

• @floyd said:

@davecz said:

@mooneyman said:

Fortunately the game is all about opinions. One goal last season and 2 this and not many assists doesn’t suggest that he can influence the game as much as he used to. However effective ( hopefully) for short bursts.

• @fame_46 said

Indirectly they are. Mehmeti is still a work in progress, if Gaz feels 10-12 minutes at the latter stages of a cup game is right who are we to say say he should have been on earlier.

So in fact it's just you who is questioning GA and Dobbo. Got it.

• @Shev said:
    Of course there are slings and arrows, but what a time to be alive!!!!

We're about due some outrageous fortune too.

• @davecz said:

@mooneyman said:

Wasn’t bad at Man City

• @davecz said:

@floyd said:

@davecz said:

@mooneyman said:

Fortunately the game is all about opinions. One goal last season and 2 this and not many assists doesn’t suggest that he can influence the game as much as he used to. However effective ( hopefully) for short bursts.

We were in great shape with Bayo and Vokes at Fleetwood. It fell apart when the former came off. That was three weeks ago.

• @floyd said:

He's typed it every week for the past five years.

• @floyd said:

@davecz said:

@floyd said:

@davecz said:

@mooneyman said:

We were in great shape with Bayo and Vokes at Fleetwood. It fell apart when the former came off. That was three weeks ago.

Exactly, it's not the fact that they are both picked, it's how they both played last night which was essentially trying to occupy the same blades of grass

• @drcongo said:

@floyd said:

Clearly your memory, not as good as it used to be. Not sure I’ve been on the forum that length of time. Have to admit though, have questioned why we gave Bayo a playing contract last season and this year. Goals and assists , a reasonable measure of success, suggest that his powers are waning. One game against Fleetwood is not very compelling evidence of success. If it was surely Ainsworth would have done it every game since.Hopefully Bayo will have an impact and I will be happy to be proved wrong.

• Bayo's goal last season was one of the most special moments i've had supporting Wycombe. Which is saying something!

• The Vokes thing is simple enough, he needs balls from wide whipped in quickly. He's shown against Morecambe what he can do when that happened (and that ball in came from a centre back)

When we play with him, Horgan and McCleary, he makes a lot of space for them to take advantage of, has a beautiful touch and moves the ball well off to the wings.

The trouble is, McCarthy has struggled to cross the ball in all season, Grimmer is better in defence than attack, and Obita seems to take an extra touch and check back in rather than getting the ball to him.

He can't play with Bayo as it's negating his presence on the pitch because we play to Bayo's strength rather than Vokes'.

Let's not forget, he has been denied by superb saves against Oxford, MK, and Portsmouth at the weekend.

• They gave him a contract for three reasons

1) They think he can make a contribution when needed as a player - The main reason
    2) They like having him in the squad as a positive influence
    3) Commercially he's good around the place, people like him and follow him about on social media

They aren't thick, they know he isn't 21. It's not as if he's the only striker either, or that we are putting the ball on a plate for anyone to miss at the moment.
    There might be some issues that need addressing, Bayo getting an extension last year isn't really one of them

• @davecz said:

@drcongo said:

@floyd said:

Hopefully Bayo will have an impact and I will be happy to be proved wrong.

I knew there was something missing...but just could not work out what it was! ?

• He scored against Doncaster too I think @davecz ...so you mean two goals in two games is not a compelling measure of success. I agree Vokes/Bayo is an either or choice though.

• @peterparrotface said:
    Really need to get behind the lads on Saturday

Good words. Let's give em hell

• Bolton..not our lads

• Wasn’t at last night’s game so difficult to comment on specifics. But, to me it’s just a case of the footballing gods balancing out our early season ‘form’.

Other than a few good patches in games (and a couple I saw where we were really good most of the game, I don’t think we were ever as ‘good’ as our league position/home form suggested.

Likewise, the current form is probably nowhere near as bad as the recent results suggest, although there is no doubt a confidence issue in there which isn’t helping.

My view is that ability/squad wise we are probably in the 6-12 part of the clubs in the league and should even out to that natural level over the course of the season.

However, because we are Wycombe we are quite capable of turning it round and finishing top 3. Equally we are also quite capable (although even I think this is unlikely) of conspiring to conjure up a relegation battle.

We don’t appear yet to have developed an effective way of playing without McCleary, but either by luck or judgement we will.

• In the patches we have played well, we have created chances but just not taken them or have been thwarted. Not sure its simply a case of GMac returning and immediately setting the world alight.

• @Wendoverman said:
    In the patches we have played well, we have created chances but just not taken them or have been thwarted. Not sure its simply a case of GMac returning and immediately setting the world alight.

It could be, he does so many jobs, he's able to flick on or control long balls , cross from out wide, carry the ball and shoot well , takes the pressure of the front men and the defence. Unfortunately without him the midfield looks a bit workmanlike and full backs and midfielders are knackered. The tweet above is only part of the story but that's some stat.

• Still none of our business how long he's out for though

• Don't want to start a fight about it, but genuine question - why would it be any of our business?

• @drcongo said:
    Don't want to start a fight about it, but genuine question - why would it be any of our business?

Oh, don't start him off @drcongo. You know exactly what the response is going to be.

• edited November 2021

I think I probably do, but it's not one that makes any sense to me if it's the old "this club owes me for something something".

Edit: I'm trying to think of any parallel, where the general public / paying customer has any kind of right or demand to know about the health of a private company's employee, but I can't think of one. Does this happen in any other walk of life?