Skip to content

Barnsley sack manager

2»

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Why on earth would he go to Reading?

An owner worth $26bn ( reportedly the 1339th richest person on the planet) and having paid for and recently opened a new £50m training ground might be an attraction!

• But his heart belongs to Blackburn and he strikes me as a man who follows his heart.

It's probably why he's stayed with us as long as he has

(I think the above also applies to QPR by the way)

• @JohnBoy said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Not saying I agree, but he has spoken about not wanting to have the upheaval of moving his family. Some might think that if he could manage a bigger club without having to move, that may tempt him.

But it's Reading. The ready salted crisps of football clubs.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@JohnBoy said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Not saying I agree, but he has spoken about not wanting to have the upheaval of moving his family. Some might think that if he could manage a bigger club without having to move, that may tempt him.

But it's Reading. The ready salted crisps of football clubs.

You take Reading for granted but it unlocks the door to all sorts of opportunities

• @our_frank said:
    51% vs Bristol City, man. Some of us have got tattoos of the match stats.

Isn’t there a Beany-type “I was there when Wycombe had 51% possession” t-shirt and commemorative mug?

• I don't get the relatively new obsession with sideways passing. Teams like Brighton are suffocatingly dull.

Yes it's great when Spain and Barca did it, and when City pull it off- but they had/ have the best players in the world. When it's done with players even slightly off of that, it's just another form of timewasting half the time, passing is it from one centre back to the keeper to the other centre back, into midfield, then back into defence, rinse and repeat. At our level it's more often playing yourself into trouble than creating chances, especially against good pressing game (like we are).

• Spot on. Folks complain about the ball only being in play for x minutes, but watching a horseshoe of death is not much different. I find the PL almost impossible to watch (and rarely do).

• Got to disagree there

• I think Username is spot on. This new fashion for playing out from the back is great if you have players with high technical ability in every position, but even then teams can lose possession in their own half.
    Who decides what is the right and wrong way to play football? It’s about results, always has been and always will be.

• @Shev said:
    Spot on. Folks complain about the ball only being in play for x minutes, but watching a horseshoe of death is not much different. I find the PL almost impossible to watch (and rarely do).

Got to agree there

• edited November 2021

Big warm crowd under the lights tomorrow night all singing "There's only one Gareth Ainsworth".
    So answering again -

@davecz said:
    Will they come back for Ainsworth again?

..... I don't think it matters in the slightest if they do.

• @Shev said:
    Spot on. Folks complain about the ball only being in play for x minutes, but watching a horseshoe of death is not much different. I find the PL almost impossible to watch (and rarely do).

How can you say this when a lot of premier teams play totally different styles of football?

Or is it the skill to keep the ball you don't like?

(away fans would be all over you as being in the perfect place in Wycombe if so!!)

• Dare I say the vast improvement in playing surfaces, has added to dull sideways passing and long periods of uninspired possession.
    I yearn for the days, when it was heavy down the middle, and difficult to run with.
    The pleasure it was to see the midfield generals win the ball, and get it out wide. And then see the wingers/wide midfielders go gun ho at the opposition full backs.
    I still think there is no greater sight in football than seeing a winger (preferably with his socks round his ankles) go on the outside of the full back, get to the byeline and pull an inch perfect cross, onto your battering ram of a centre forward to power a header home.

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:

How can you say this when a lot of premier teams play totally different styles of football?

Or is it the skill to keep the ball you don't like?

(away fans would be all over you as being in the perfect place in Wycombe if so!!)

It is partly the skill to keep the ball, actually, as it has made possession an end in itself. Even the most direct PL team is like the taxi driver who takes the "scenic route" when you need to get somewhere urgently. It's similar to why I don't watch competitive chess. Strategic? Yes. Intelligent? For sure. Skilled? Most certainly! Exciting? Not so much.

• Hanlan’s goal on Saturday was, for me, just as aesthetically pleasing as a move of over 20 passes.
    Stocko to Bayo, flick on, Harlan turns the defender and scores. Sublime, it’s a simple game.

• @Username said:
    I don't get the relatively new obsession with sideways passing. Teams like Brighton are suffocatingly dull.

).It's the main reason I no longer bother watching an England game. Boring side to side or back to the defence (or keeper) passing, sometimes for prolonged periods, with no forward momentum. So dull.

• Yeah, but Graham Potter is a much more proactive coach than Gareth Southgate.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Yeah, but Graham Potter is a much more proactive coach than Gareth Southgate.

I'm making that my new tinder profile

• @ChasHarps said:
    Dare I say the vast improvement in playing surfaces, has added to dull sideways passing and long periods of uninspired possession.
    I yearn for the days, when it was heavy down the middle, and difficult to run with.
    The pleasure it was to see the midfield generals win the ball, and get it out wide. And then see the wingers/wide midfielders go gun ho at the opposition full backs.
    I still think there is no greater sight in football than seeing a winger (preferably with his socks round his ankles) go on the outside of the full back, get to the byeline and pull an inch perfect cross, onto your battering ram of a centre forward to power a header home.

I give you Dave Thomas ex of QPR in the mid 70s. A perfect shoe in for your description @ChasHarps

• Dave Thomas was certainly a player I liked to watch on the big match, along with John Robertson, Blackburn's Noel Brotherston and our very own Kenny Wilson.

• England are dull in ways I'd never imagined possible. It's not slick passing, Azerbaijan and every other team still look more comfortable on the ball than us. The opposition defensively and physically in most qualifiers are so bad you'll get a goal or two anyway.
    If there's anything to lament about Prem style football it's the looking for the obvious pass then checking back as if you've somehow tricked the defender and then doing absolutely sod all with it afterwards.

• I think he would take Forest…good shout…sleeping giant. Managers have generally queued up for the City Ground job…except Eddie Howe.

• Wouldn’t you take a job with a 25,000 home crowd, incredible youth structure producing talent…oh and no job security?!

• You'd have to be mad to go anywhere near the Forest job

• @eric_plant said:
    You'd have to be mad to go anywhere near the Forest job

Only club to take Kuwaiti and greek tycoon money and get worse! They sacked Sean ODriscoll when they were fourth in the Championship I think! Not many stable well run clubs out there.

• @eric_plant said:
    You'd have to be mad to go anywhere near the Forest job

Nice easy payout though