Skip to content

Barnsley sack manager

Will they come back for Ainsworth again?

Comments

• They can try, I don't think they'll get very far. Recently though, their MO has been young coaches from Europe, and aside from this latest hire, it's gone quite well for them. I reckon that's the most likely route they'll take.

• Honestly for at least 75% of Championship clubs, I can't think of a reason why GA wouldn't be pretty much top of the wanted list. That doesnt mean he would want to accept the job though.

With things going as they are, can't see him leaving for Barnsley now.

• Ainsworth will get the newly vacant Spurs job.

• Only way Ainsworth leaves Wycombe is if the Blackburn job comes up or he gets sacked

• @DevC said:
    Honestly for at least 75% of Championship clubs, I can't think of a reason why GA wouldn't be pretty much top of the wanted list. That doesnt mean he would want to accept the job though.

Luckily for us, he doesn't get the credit he deserves for what he's achieved here. I guess it's a style of play thing. Russ Martin got a job at Swansea, one of the bigger Champ clubs, off the back of one full season at MK where they finished mid-table. But the possession style of play he instilled matched whatever Swansea were looking for. We're seen as shithouses who can't play possession football so I think GA gets overlooked a lot. Still, I know who I'd rather have managing my club.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Only way Ainsworth leaves Wycombe is if the Blackburn job comes up or he gets sacked

I think he maybe tempted by QPR as well

• edited November 2021

@davecz said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Only way Ainsworth leaves Wycombe is if the Blackburn job comes up or he gets sacked

I think he maybe tempted by QPR as well

I know we had that scare a couple of years ago, but I just don't see it. He's got it SO good here and it's only going to get better and better. Some managers just fit - no better example at the moment than West Ham and David Moyes, who has failed everywhere else he's been since Everton.

• Nathan Jones is an even better example of right man, right club. Bet he won't be changing up again any time soon and hopefully Gaz is similarly minded for a long time to come

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Nathan Jones is an even better example of right man, right club. Bet he won't be changing up again any time soon and hopefully Gaz is similarly minded for a long time to come

Ah yeah, great shout!

• @JohnBoy said:

@DevC said:
    Honestly for at least 75% of Championship clubs, I can't think of a reason why GA wouldn't be pretty much top of the wanted list. That doesnt mean he would want to accept the job though.

Luckily for us, he doesn't get the credit he deserves for what he's achieved here. I guess it's a style of play thing. Russ Martin got a job at Swansea, one of the bigger Champ clubs, off the back of one full season at MK where they finished mid-table. But the possession style of play he instilled matched whatever Swansea were looking for. We're seen as shithouses who can't play possession football so I think GA gets overlooked a lot. Still, I know who I'd rather have managing my club.

Would you not want to see Wycombe playing a possession style (providing we had the players to do that), managed by Russ Martin if Ainsworth were ever to move on ?

• I would. If people haven't seen Swansea's first goal from the weekend, watch it - stuff of beauty. And I'm not just saying that because it was against Pish.

• Gawd not this old chestnut again.

• Amazing he's still here really.

• -performing well on a long term project: check
    -loved by the fans: check
    -reasonable funding: check
    -long term contract: check
    -live in a nice part of the world: check
    -kids settled at school: check
    -enjoying playing Sunday league: check
    -singer in a band: check
    Being your own man is about as good as it gets.
    Gaz stays: check

• I think if Gaz was going to QPR he’d gone by now.

• There will be a natural arc to Gaz's tenure and at the moment that arc is still on an upward curve. The day will come when that arc plateau's for him and at that point I suspect he will say 'thank-you, it's been amazing, goodnight'. What the cause of that arc flattening off could be anything but at that moment his relationship with every element of the club seems to be positive and that is a great place to be in any job

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:

@JohnBoy said:

@DevC said:

Would you not want to see Wycombe playing a possession style (providing we had the players to do that), managed by Russ Martin if Ainsworth were ever to move on ?

Sure, in fact when he was first coming through, I thought he could be a good fit if GA left, before his big jump up to Swansea. But right now, between the two, I'd always take GA.

• He's more or less said in the past he'd take the QPR job if offered it hasn't he?

• Were we not playing much more of a possession game towards the end of last season?

• @micra said:
    Were we not playing much more of a possession game towards the end of last season?

Not especially, still playing fairly direct, rather than building from the back. Even in our good results towards the end of the season, we didn't have more possession in any of the games - EG 36% v Bournemouth (win), 39% v Swansea (draw) and 38% v Rotherham (win).

• 51% vs Bristol City, man. Some of us have got tattoos of the match stats.

• Logic says that sooner or later if we remain challenging for at least the playoffs this season, some Championship chairman will see him as a good choice.

Then GA has to decide 1) how ambitious he is - would he regret not giving a bigger club a go - 2) how important geography is - are he and Dobbo prepared to move house for the right opportunity 3) how financially sound the new opportunity is - does it give him a decent chance to be a success there too.

If financially sound, I'd be concerned if Bristol City, Cardiff, Reading or QPR and possibly Portsmouth came in or if a sentimental club (Preston or Blackburn) or a really big name club (Nottm Forest) came in.

My instinct is if he was going to leave he would have done by now. I think he will still be here in five years.

• His style of play is to our advantage - not many attractive clubs will want that.

• I think Gaz would go if offered the Blackburn, QPR or Reading job. I think Dobbo would go with him to Reading or QPR but not sure he would follow Gaz if he went to Blackburn Rovers though.

• As of right now, I don't think he would leave for any job unless it was something amazing. Even with Blackburn, there is the upheaval and no guarantee of a long tenure. He has happiness and job security right now at a club where he is absolutely beloved. I have absolutely zero concerns over him leaving.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    I think Gaz would go if offered the Blackburn, QPR or Reading job. I think Dobbo would go with him to Reading or QPR but not sure he would follow Gaz if he went to Blackburn Rovers though.

I think it would depend on who the Chairman/Owner is. When he was caretaker boss at QPR, Ainsworth had Flavio Briatore telling him what the line up was going to be and shouting instructions to him from behind the team bench.

• Why on earth would he go to Reading?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Why on earth would he go to Reading?

Not saying I agree, but he has spoken about not wanting to have the upheaval of moving his family. Some might think that if he could manage a bigger club without having to move, that may tempt him.

• Only QPR or Blackburn I reckon... but you never know, we could all be wrong

• @Shev said:
    As of right now, I don't think he would leave for any job unless it was something amazing. Even with Blackburn, there is the upheaval and no guarantee of a long tenure. He has happiness and job security right now at a club where he is absolutely beloved. I have absolutely zero concerns over him leaving.

This for me. He has the chance to make history with us again without too much pressure...or be one in a line of short-term managers at a 'big club'. While I am not saying he could not do it, I'm not sure he would be trusted with a big budget or that his perceived 'style of play' would suit any of the above teams unless they found themselves in League One. But I understand that like 'Stewart will be gone in January/the Summer' this is a hardy Gasroom perennial.