Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• Thanks for the tip and it’s a fascinating watch and you are right about everything seeming faster. Stoppages (throw ins, free kicks, etc) seem minimal length compared to today. It would be interesting to know how much time the ball was in active play that game compared to recent games.

Some other observations:

How bad was the pitch!

Union Jack flags rather than St George Cross.

The crowd booing players with head injuries.

Back passes to the goalkeeper - which seem to actually be positive in getting the ball forwards

• On the third observation, perhaps lots of Plymouth fans got tickets….

• That was strange. I can only think that the retreating defender thought his teammate would catch Hurst up, but he never had a chance. The irony is that Hurst was not trying to score. He later said that he was trying to send the ball as far as possible into the crowd, to waste time.

• It was a very entertaining game, both teams got the ball forward quickly. Energy levels were very impressive, both teams pressed forward right to the end of extra time. There were some seriously talented players on the pitch but I'm going to highlight Alan Ball, what a game he had, he was everywhere.

Refreshing to hear the Hugh Johns commentary, never heard it before. I thought he was very good, with Dave Bowen on co-comms. He was the Northampton, Arsenal and Wales player, who managed Northampton and Wales. The North Stand at Sixfields is named after him. Did Kenneth Wolstenholme have someone on co-comms?

• I remember being furious with my work colleague for doing the same style of defending once - he was adamant that the man he was covering was "his man", utterly dim to the more pressing danger of the man with the ball just cruising through for a free shot at goal.

I could deal with that though as he was a poor player and it was a work game!

• Back pass one is interesting, so many times we tinker with the rules and make things worse. If you play fairly direct football, and everything at that time would be considered so by today's standards, then it makes a lot of sense, as a defender under any pressure at all you pass back to the keeper who is under no pressure because he can pick it up and they quickly kick it forward or slow down to let everyone reset.

The rule was necessary though, seem to remember it came to a bit of a head in European games where a smaller team with a vociferous home crowd could absolutely ruin an away leg passing around the defence and back to the keeper and allowing no actual game play.

• edited July 14

Some think it was Denmark's 1992 style that was the final straw, but the rule was already due to change from the next season.

A few pundits have mentioned Liverpool were a particular nightmare for the pass back game kill.

It was such a superb change though and you watch old games where it was allowed and they just look so wrong.

• Hadn't heard about Liverpool, think by the time the rule came in you think they wouldn't have been the consideration as much as some of the east european, russian and turkish clubs with all the flairs going, difficult journeys etc, but that's very English centric view.

• I know he's a new signing and possibly hasn't played for Wycombe yet (they haven't released who played in the games so far) but Jaiden Bartolo's 2nd in this poll right now. Chesterfield fans are rallying behind Jessop: https://x.com/LlanitoNL/status/1812879840485212480

• I’ve a feeling that the lad is going to put Alfie May’s scoring record in the shade. Just a hunch and of course a nod back to my Wealdstone days.

Maybe not in his first season.

• Nations League: Belgium will not host match with Israel over security concerns - BBC Sport

I would be more concerned when Israel play France at the Stade de France on November 14th. Saint-Denis is known for its criminals, terrorists and sympathisers. I suspect this game will get moved too and probably out of France to somewhere like Poland or Portugal.

• Given the disgusting behaviour of the Belgian police in euro 2000 I think it's great that they leave our community

• Compare to the excellent way the German police behaved during this euros.

It really is disgusting the way France Belgium Italy and Portugal behave

• Apparently there may be a vote on Friday for FIFA to suspend Israel which might get messy.

• In local news Everton FC takeover has fallen through again - that is 3 failed purchase bids so far...

• Very embarrassing for France and Belgium, and per @inflikted most of UEFA, are unable to guarantee the safety of the Israel team.

• edited July 19

The municipal government of Brussels said last month the "very high-risk" Nations League game would not be played at the King Baudouin Stadium because it could spark demonstrations.

• And this is why playing it out from the back is a terrible, terrible thing.

Danish international Joachim Andersen for Crystal Palace v Crawley...no-one wants to see this happen to their side.

https://x.com/cpfcloucs/status/1817180438089138239

• That's certainly one to tell the grandchildren about

• Meltdown amongst some QPR fans after losing a PSF to Reading. Maybe they want Gaz back.

• The "class players" Gaz was supposedly unsuited to were Willock who has just cleared off to Cardiff on a free, Sinclair Armstrong who has gone to Bristol City and Chair who was going to prison but seems to have been let off with a fine.

They probably will struggle again, it won't be the managers fault if they do, and if they don't he'll likely get a better job soon enough somewhere else.

• Gab Sutton's predictions have us 9th which seems reasonable given some of the big spenders in the division:

https://www.betvictor.com/blog/gab-suttons-league-one-24-25-season-preview/

• slightly surprised at where he's got Wrexham, Peterborough and Burton, @PBo . But interesting as ever. I think his view of Stevenage might be a little rosy, too.

I see he shares @eric_plant's view on Birmingham (the team Sutton follows, I recall). I wonder whether it might take them just a little longer to settle to the division than Sutton and Plant are assuming. I can remember Ipswich splashing the cash under Paul Cook and (aside from their thrashing of us, of course) never really getting going until his sacking at Christmas.

• yes, agreed re. the "surprises" you highlighted.

There is of course the possibility that Birmingham "do a Sunderland" and choke under the weight of expectations as their fanbase turns nasty the minute they fail to steamroller all us minnows as a matter of course, but time will tell.

• I think it’s a bit lazy to say that Birmingham will run away with the league. They’ve got a very inexperienced manager and a lot of players who don’t know the level. Be interesting to see how they get on but many clubs of a similar size have struggled to hit the ground running in league one over the last few years.

• I think that should more accurately read "betting company pays Geoff Hurst to launch new Gibraltar side away kit"

• As @EddieMonsoon's representative, I would just like to say: "change kit".

There.

• True but saying it was the club is easier. They're now owned by Mark Palmer who also has a stake in Solihull Moors and is completely changing the club around now, and given they formed in 1966 as a direct result of England winning the World Cup they want to tie into that with the new kits.