Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• He’s a Bristol City fan as well isn’t he. You’d think he’d know what his own teams players are called??

• Bristol City have been decent and are deservedly up, as for Benrahma what an arse...

• He's definitely Bristol City, said it on air once

• It might be a case of 'supporting' a small team to avoid annoying fans.

A good example of that is in Scotland where nobody in the media supports the Old Firm but often you'll find people claiming to be Queen of the South (or similar) fans.

• I'm sure that happens, but he's definitely Bristol City. Mehmeti's name aside, he knows his stuff.

• I thought he was West 'AM. Used to commentate with Bobby Moore,etc etc.

• I remember Clive Tyldesley saying he was a Wycombe fan in Four Four Two magazine once.

• I think he lived somewhere off the London Road, near High Wycombe cricket club.

• edited January 17

Jordan Henderson set to leave Saudi for Ajax after, what, six months? I hope that was worth trashing his reputation for.

• Blackpool take this forum's sister club to extra time.

• It seemed no-one in football could actually understand why he was being booed while playing for England.

I hope he is an ambassador for gay and women's rights again very soon.

'Yes, I went to play for a terrible regime with a history of human rights abuses...but anyone will tell you that's not the guy I am.'

• edited January 18

Pretty much every single one of the journalists and podcast hosts who criticised Henderson's move to Saudi Arabia would be off in a heartbeat if Bein sports or Al Jazeera offered them 5 million quid to go and work for them.

Without exception they all reported on, and recorded podcasts about the world cups in Russia and Qatar, and they'll do so again when it's in Saudi Arabia.

Jordan Henderson is by all accounts a very nice bloke who has done huge amounts for all sorts of causes. The levels of hypocrisy from media pundits who would do exactly the same for far less is staggering.

I'm not exempt by the way. When the World Cup was awarded to Qatar I was fuming, and vowed not to have anything to do with it. I watched it, I really enjoyed it, I filled out a wallchart.

• I get all of that @eric_plant and totally agree with regard to most people faced with that sort of dosh, but I was disappointed about the thought processes of a nice bloke (already a millionaire) who espoused the causes he did and could probably have got a good deal to carry on playing in the UK or Europe, going to Saudi...not speaking out or publicising any of those causes because it was not his place to criticise the culture or whatever...and then being surprised and hurt that people think he was meally mouthed about his support for the causes in the past. I would like to think I would not, but who knows.

I too watched some of the World Cup, but had England not qualified it would not have bothered me.

If David Wheeler goes I will know the World's gone mad!

• Even David Wheeler played for MK Dons

• Filled out a wallchart? That's an eyebrow raising moment for me. I think I gave that up after 1974 and always assumed it was a kids thing. No criticism at all but it makes me think I may be an even grumpier (and from a much earlier age) old git than i thought i was. Any others out there own up to filling in wallcharts?

• I have filled out a wallchart for every world cup from 1982. I am not going to stop now

• (on many occasions I have petulantly not continued to fill it out after England have been eliminated)

• Wallchart or else

• I've filled out my When Saturday Comes wallcharts for every World Cup and Euros (men's and women's) for years and given WSC is hardly aimed at kids I guess there are plenty of other middle aged gits out there doing the same. Never lose your inner child.

• A World Cup ends when England are eliminated. Fact.

• I’ve nothing but admiration for @eric_plant’s dedication.

On my wall hanging calendar, I used to note Wycombe results, daily maximum temperatures, brief summary of weather type, ushering duties at the Swan, details of Good Neighbour hospital, doctor and social appointment lifts for the elderly (both my own and mrs micra’s commitments), holiday dates, and, increasingly in recent years, our own medical appointments.

Nowadays, it’s just Wycombe results, daily maximum temperatures, occasional lunches out with friends and our own medical appointments. Neither of us has yet had to depend on Good Neighbours - still being able to drive is a godsend - but we’re no longer well enough to take other people.

For the most recent World Cup and European competitions, I’ve removed wall charts from the Radio Times, unfolded them, had a quick scan, refolded them and left them on the kitchen table for the rest of the tournament.

• LX1LX1
    edited January 18

Germany 2024.

Fill it in and pass to your offspring

• Wallcharts are all very well, but Panini sticker albums were a cut above.

• Troy Deeney seems to have taken the Watford way with him to Forest Green. Six game managerial career. Hard to see him getting another job.

Troy Deeney sacked after six games at Forest Green - BBC Sport

• The owner will be happy. Relegation equals smaller crowds and a smaller carbon footprint.

The dream must be division ten.

• Perhaps in his revenge on being sacked he's gone on a burger binge and set off a load of fireworks