Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• Premier League title and Champions League qualification in the space of three days for the state clubs. Fairytale stuff 😍

• edited May 2023

I had a dream

It seemed so unlikely

So impossible to achieve

But I held on to that vision

And after spending only a couple of billion pounds

The dream came true

Never give up on your dreams

• Shev's been on my Tinder profile

• Been watching some of the U17 Euros - today was the 2nd women's semi Spain v England.

Not a bad game, the Spanish as you would expect are very technically gifted, but like all Spanish national teams pass it sideways & backwards too much. The England team were very gritty but conceded a late deflected goal, which the keeper (probably England's best player) could do nothing about. They then shipped a third in added time as they pushed for an equaliser to take it to penalties. To be honest both goals were down to individual defensive errors.

Spain now play France in the final.

In the men's version England have won their first 2 games in their group & play Switzerland tomorrow (also on 6 pts) to decide who wins the group - they have both qualified for the quarter finals.

• What you'll see if you look at the Tinder profiles of women in three different countries.

Japan- Cats and Ramen

UAE- Bags and cars

England- Alcohol and more alcohol

75 days to the next game. Jesus wept.

• I love ramen but always been suspicious of cats.

You seem to be our tinder correspondent!

• edited May 2023

So Ivan Toney placed 13 separate bets on his own team to lose (looking at the date range, I think it was all Peterborough). I think he can count himself extremely lucky he's only banned for eight months. Football does have a deeply unhealthy relationship with gambling, but that's just idiotic.

• As well as numerous bets on his own team to win and himself to score https://twitter.com/Tom_Hancock_/status/1662072457296064513?t=s9OOSR0xMXv38LCikOyS3g&s=19

• I wonder if Ivan ever bet on us to win....Alan Swann needs to be informed.

• Ivan Toney has been diagnosed with a gambling addiction. The poor bloke needs treatment, not punishment.

The absolute state of a governing body who happily take the money from organisations whose purpose is to get people addicted to gambling to then punish poor people who have fallen victim to it.

It absolutely stinks.

• Professional footballers should not be classed as 'poor people'. That would apply to those on benefits, or struggling to make ends meet on minimum wage. Some of those will be tempted to make bets to try and improve their finances, and the majority will lose money due to the bookmakers' built-in percentage in all odds markets.

Most footballers start their career at age 18, and end at around age 36. They all know that they are not allowed to bet on matches, especially ones they are directly involved in. Their clubs should be giving them advice to set aside a % of their pay each month, to build up a fund so that they can start a business once no clubs want to sign them up.

The number of jobs in football management, or TV work, is tiny compared with the number of ex-players. Most of them will need to have something that gives them a living for 30-odd years after the boots are hung up.

• @eric_plant was expressing sympathy (misplaced or not), not commenting on his wealth - if indeed it has not been seriously eroded by his addiction.

• Addiction, illness, mental illness don't give a fuck about how much you earn

Every time you post you expose your lack of knowledge about a different subject

• Why would expressing sympathy to someone with a serious illness ever be misplaced? Isn't that just a normal human emotion?

• Toney deserves his ban - players have the rules rammed into them - but also needs help. Both can be true.

• Are you seriously saying that anyone who bets beyond their means is suffering from a serious illness?

• Scott Davies story was harrowing for both him and his family and he was not a footballer earning millions.

However foolish the sneering Hitchens and Widdecombe types find it, addiction is addiction, whether it is drink, drugs or gambling.

There needs to be an element of punishment, but I would hope he will get help, but as @eric_plant points out, the business interests of the industry he works in does not help.

• He's literally been diagnosed as a gambling addict

• On a lighter note, his 4 names are the initials IBET!

• Does anybody know which firm reported Kashket?

• You missed the point I was making. Yes, he has now been diagnosed as a gambling addict, and needs help.

But, if at the start of his career, with Northampton Town, someone had sat him down and explained that his new found wealth would not last forever, and he should start making provisions for life after football, and also pointed out the risks of a ban from the game for making football bets, maybe he wouldn't have become addicted.

• To become addicted to something, you have to try it for that first time. Toney's been a professional footballer and barred from betting for longer than he's been legally allowed to bet - how did he get addicted without just being a fucking idiot in the first place?

• So that's how you view literally ALL drug addicts?

• They're all just "fucking idiots"?

• You either didn’t read my post or you didn’t understand it.

• @bargepole i think you are correct in as much as players with a problem need help and I think it is important that there is a big deterrent too.

However I would be amazed if young footballers were not educated from early in their careers about the dangers. I know of other professional sports where young participants are educated fully on everything from things like gambling to nutrition to mindset and life after there sporting careers.

Ivan would most probably have started gambling as a young professional, maybe not earning a fortune, this is a time that education and a deterrent should be enough. Continuing to gamble as he earned more probably comes into the addiction scenario. Now he most definitely needs help but in my opinion the deterrent must remain, it’s probably enough to put most young professionals off the idea.