Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• Fleetwood winning in the FA cup means another home Saturday game becomes a midweek.

It feels like we always get stung for this - but I'm not sure if the stats bear it out or not.

Obviously twice this season.

But it always feels like we get more Tuesday homes than aways.

• Sheff Wed getting a replay here would be quite handy. Let ‘em have a trip to Newcastle on their minds next Saturday.

• I think of them as The Little Engine That Could (which may be an American reference).

• Sure it makes sense to move the Oxford game to the 28th, unless they get beaten by Arsenal.

• They are due to play Burton on the 28th? And Burton went out of the cup today.

So they'll 95% be playing Burton or that 5% tiny chance they beat Arsenal, have their next FA cup game on the 28th?

• Great win from Sheffield Wednesday to put Newcastle out.

But hopefully it's classic football that we bring them down to earth next weekend.

• Well deserved win for Wednesday, they were very disciplined against a much changed but still decent Newcastle team.

Let's hope their hangover lasts past next weekend...

• Bolton dominated Plymouth but failed to score again. One of the lowest scorers in L1. I say we unleash the hounds against them in Feb and just leave Max and Maws at the back, in what could be a pivotal match in the playoff race.

• Surprised to see Liverpool - Wolves bumped down to ITV4, although I guess in the era of everyone having the 'extra' channels it doesn't make so much difference

• But anyone who was fumbling around trying to find it has just missed an astonishing goal...

• Beyond ridiculous that isn’t given as offside.

We’ve ended up in a position where you can see a goal ruled out because your nose is an inch beyond the defender’s heel. But it is allowed to stand when you’re a yard offside but the defender touched the ball in trying to prevent it reaching you.

• edited January 2023

But that's always been offside, hasn't it? It looked the correct decision.

• He’s in an offside position and his teammate passes it to him. Pretty simple really.

• VAR has changed the way we interpret lots of things, but the ball coming off a defender has always played the attacking player on.

• edited January 2023

No he doesn't - the defender plays it before it gets to Salah, hence it's offside. Whether the law should be that way is another matter.

• Genuinely, who was offside then, and why?

• I’ve no doubt the rule has been applied correctly. My point is that any sane person can see the law is shite.

To add insult to injury, I can’t see why the Wolves goal was just disallowed for offside.

• I'm not sure the law can be reasonably changed - if your pass is likely to reach your teammate and a defender gets the slightest touch which doesn't really change the course of the ball, that's one thing, but there will be cases where the pass is off course and gets deflected into the path of an otherwise offside teammate, which I'm not sure should be penalised.

But in general, I think there needs to be some sort of 'daylight' rule.

• They’d just need to apply common sense in the interpretation of the rule.

The rule becomes something like ‘if the ball is passed to a player in an offside position they should be given offside even if the ball touches an opponent before it reaches them’. And then in interpretation the referees are told to use common sense to determine if the original pass was intended for that player or reached them inadvertently via a random deflection.

• Having seen the replay of the Salah goal, it is ridiculous and that law needs looking at for sure.

• edited January 2023

I'm not sure about that. I'm sure it had just been introduced when Steve Brown scored his infamous "second phase" equaliser v Wimbledon

I'm sure back in the 80s, let's say, if a player was in an offside position when the ball was played forward by a teammate then it was offside. Regardless of "interfering with play" or if it touched a defender on the way

• @eric_plant no idea what rule was being applied for Brownies goal… half the town was offside!

• I only relatively recently noticed how far offside Dave Carroll was standing when Paul Emblen nodded in the winner up at Lincoln

Thankfully considered not to be interfering with play but he was quite close to the keeper

• How lucky we are as homo sapiens to have the FA Cup

• There are some retrospective VAR websites who have shown Gerrards Cross and the front nine of Denham Golf Club to have been offside for Brownie's goal against Wimbledon

• edited January 2023

John Motson and his co-commentator were walking behind me as we left that game against Wimbledon, earnestly discussing on what grounds Steve Brown’s equaliser was not ruled offside. “Second phase” seemed to be a key element. I remember wondering at the time what exactly that was all about. And I can’t claim to be any wiser now.

If that goal had been disallowed, those wonderful memories of Selhurst Park, Filbert Street and Villa Park would be non-existent. What a season.

• They've made a fairly crappy job of advertising these games

• I actually think that the momentum had swung so far in our favour at that point that had that goal been disallowed we would have gone on to score in the time that was remaining

We were all over them at that point, having not been in the game at all for the whole of the first half

• Bloomfield - Colchester

Another win for Matty at the bottom of League 2 and now out of the relegation zone. Delighted for him.