Skip to content

Daryl Horgan

13»

Comments

• No argument with that from me @YorkshireBlue just joining in the fun by joshing about those posters who would...

• @YorkshireBlue said:

@Wendoverman said:
    ...and with Ainsworth's mate Akinfenwe still wearing the shirt and getting on the pitch?

It's an indisputable fact that Bayo was and still is our all time record goalscorer. He would be 'mates' with whoever was the manager of Wycombe Wanderers and deserves a place in our squad regardless of his age.

Know your gasroom posters :)
    Satire is Wendy's speciality

• 'satire' a bit strong @Malone I think it's more like trolling.

• @ChasHarps said:

@Steve_Peart said:

@LeedsBlue said:
    @TheAndyGrahamFanClub I think I'm going to give myself a new name - TheDarylHorganFanClub. He's a class act and a damn site better than Andy Graham ever was.

(Although to be fair, he did 'try a lot'...)

Andy Graham was one of my favourite players, much underrated. Very skilful and graceful but hard as well.

Wasn't Andy Graham into bands like The Fall and The Wedding Present ? Or have I dreamt that up ?
    I remember seeing Mr Graham wearing grey flares, in the blues club, when they were very much out of fashion.
    He was a school teacher and very much a cult hero for his ungainly run and haircut.

There's a 2019 interview with Andy on the Wealdstone history site, where you can see a photo of him without the famous hair! It's a long article about the History teacher currently living in the Wirral, but worth reading as he talks about his Wycombe stay. There's a great photo of the 86-87 side, at Hitchin I think, with their Isthmian League winners trophies. The late Carl Hoddle is in that.

He remembers how he and Brian Greenaway thought Vinnie Jones was the worst player at Wealdstone, and couldn't believe how he was playing at the top level a couple of years later. These days Andy goes to watch Manchester City with his son, I wonder if he was there last week. He doesn't think much of Barry Fry, and recounts the story of when Fry disrespectfully brought himself on against Wycombe late on, with Barnet leading 6-1 in the Conference, he says. I don't remember that, perhaps it was in the Capital League.

http://www.wfchistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/andy_graham_V2.pdf

• @ChasHarps said:

@Steve_Peart said:

@LeedsBlue said:
    @TheAndyGrahamFanClub I think I'm going to give myself a new name - TheDarylHorganFanClub. He's a class act and a damn site better than Andy Graham ever was.

Andy Graham was one of my favourite players, much underrated. Very skilful and graceful but hard as well.

Wasn't Andy Graham into bands like The Fall and The Wedding Present ? Or have I dreamt that up ?
    I remember seeing Mr Graham wearing grey flares, in the blues club, when they were very much out of fashion.
    He was a school teacher and very much a cult hero for his ungainly run and haircut.

He named listening to The Cult and visiting country homes as his hobbies. That was me sold

His hair was more Steve Wright (American comedian not crappy dj)

• @Steve_Peart said:

@ChasHarps said:

@Steve_Peart said:

@LeedsBlue said:

There's a 2019 interview with Andy on the Wealdstone history site, where you can see a photo of him without the famous hair! It's a long article about the History teacher currently living in the Wirral, but worth reading as he talks about his Wycombe stay. There's a great photo of the 86-87 side, at Hitchin I think, with their Isthmian League winners trophies. The late Carl Hoddle is in that.

He remembers how he and Brian Greenaway thought Vinnie Jones was the worst player at Wealdstone, and couldn't believe how he was playing at the top level a couple of years later. These days Andy goes to watch Manchester City with his son, I wonder if he was there last week. He doesn't think much of Barry Fry, and recounts the story of when Fry disrespectfully brought himself on against Wycombe late on, with Barnet leading 6-1 in the Conference, he says. I don't remember that, perhaps it was in the Capital League.

Enjoyed reading that! Thanks for sharing.

• @Steve_Peart said:

@ChasHarps said:

@Steve_Peart said:

@LeedsBlue said:

That’s a great read. Thanks

The photo of him in the Wycombe kit was at the Berks and Bucks final at Wolverton (?). The great man is obscuring me

• I do believe that's @ChasHarps' 'bang out' change kit - yellow with the light blue collar...

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Yeah, no league goals for Wycombe yet - but it's not that much of a concern as that's not his role. He's started the season very well and contributes in other key ways on and off the ball. Maybe he's the next Beany... No goals in 100-odd appearances, was it? Then two in two.

Never thought I’d see that comparison! Horgan vs Bean

• @jessvl1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Yeah, no league goals for Wycombe yet - but it's not that much of a concern as that's not his role. He's started the season very well and contributes in other key ways on and off the ball. Maybe he's the next Beany... No goals in 100-odd appearances, was it? Then two in two.

Never thought I’d see that comparison! Horgan vs Bean

If he is the next Beany, I hope it's a bit more than two in two, but he's got to start somewhere! At least he has got a goal.

• Like Bean, he has scored for us in a penalty shoot out.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

The photo of him in the Wycombe kit was at the Berks and Bucks final at Wolverton (?). The great man is obscuring me

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub, we were in the first kit for the B & B, but two different shirts are being worn:

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/history/1986-1987/bbfinal-wolverton-28april1987-team.jpg

• @Steve_Peart said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub, we were in the first kit for the B & B, but two different shirts are being worn:

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/history/1986-1987/bbfinal-wolverton-28april1987-team.jpg

I celebrated on the pitch a lot in those days clearly. Wonder where the yellow one was then?

• I know it's not the league, but are people forgetting he has scored for us ? First game he played, league Cup game last season v Brentford

@Steve_Peart said:

I celebrated on the pitch a lot in those days clearly. Wonder where the yellow one was then?

Carl Hoddle only played for us in the final two games, at Hitchin and Dulwich. We were officially champions after the Hitchin win and I seem to remember trophies being handed out there. Andy Graham scored 22 goals from midfield that season.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I know it's not the league, but are people forgetting he has scored for us ? First game he played, league Cup game last season v Brentford

Right you are.
    Although whether 1 goal in 48 appearances for an attacking midfielder is anything to shout about is another question!

• FmGFmG
    edited September 2021

Think that goal also increased the expectation which was mentioned previously on this thread, or it certainly did mine. Would love him to get another soon to open the flood gates. Definitely more goals in him

• Hopefully he'll go full Hulk Horgan soon!

• @Steve_Peart said:

@Steve_Peart said:

Carl Hoddle only played for us in the final two games, at Hitchin and Dulwich. We were officially champions after the Hitchin win and I seem to remember trophies being handed out there. Andy Graham scored 22 goals from midfield that season.

I definitely remember post-match celebrations after the Hitchin game but why on earth were we playing in yellow? Hitchin Town are/were the Canaries and yellow was their home colours

• @Steve_Peart said:

@Steve_Peart said:

I definitely remember being on the pitch at Dulwich. There were wrought iron railings around the pitch. Small details.

@Steve_Peart said:

@Steve_Peart said:

I definitely remember being on the pitch at Dulwich. There were wrought iron railings around the pitch. Small details.

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub, sorry, you are right, Gasman has the photo labelled Dulwich.

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/history/1986-1987/dulwich-a-2may1987-team.jpg

• In regards to Horgan; although the lack of goals and assists are a real shame, he can be such an exciting player to watch. Almost everytime I’ve seen him play he seems to be a class above most with his ability to find passes, positioning and running with the ball. I do hope he can get a few goals this season as I think he has a lot to offer and he’s certainly one of my favourite players in our squad at present.

• He’s a great asset for us…he doesn’t have to score goals, just create them

• @Steve_Peart said:

@Steve_Peart said:

@Steve_Peart said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub, sorry, you are right, Gasman has the photo labelled Dulwich.

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/history/1986-1987/dulwich-a-2may1987-team.jpg

Greatest ever away kit, perfect shade of yellow, with the ideal tone of light blue.

• Called it!