Skip to content

Daryl Horgan

Comments

• @micra said:
    Hope it’s this afternoon @Shev. See what I did there ? You’ll be watching, no doubt and I’m assuming I’ll be able to watch via iFollow on my ancient (but still serviceable) lap top.

Your time-zone sensitivity is spot on! I will be watching, though I have a dental first including a tooth extraction. Hopefully the game is a lot less painful!

• @drcongo said:

@Shev said:
    I do think there is definitely going to be 'The Daryl Horgan Game' at some point.

Opening day against Accy felt like The Daryl Horgan Game to me. His short passing and vision were off the charts that day, and he's barely dipped below that level since. He's having an absolute cracker of a season and I find it very odd that we're judging him on goals scored.

That's true - he played a blinder then. I do think he is going to score an absolutely mental goal at some point, like beating three defenders and unleashing a curling cracker. Or an overhead kick!

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub I think I'm going to give myself a new name - TheDarylHorganFanClub. He's a class act and a damn site better than Andy Graham ever was.

(Although to be fair, he did 'try a lot'...)

• @Shev said:
    I do think there is definitely going to be 'The Daryl Horgan Game' at some point.

Bit like the Stuart Roberts game away @ Northampton.

• I do feel extremely optimistic that the existence of this thread right before a game signifies the inevitability of a Horgan goal tonight.

• Horgan is a cracking player and we are lucky to be able to watch him play.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @TheAndyGrahamFanClub I think I'm going to give myself a new name - TheDarylHorganFanClub. He's a class act and a damn site better than Andy Graham ever was.

Blasphemy

Has he ever listed his hobbies as ‘visiting country homes and listening to The Cult’ in his program feature? I think not. The case rests.

• edited September 2021

He said something that sounded like ‘cult’ when a Charlton player slid in on him the other week.

I’ve not seen a player so incensed in a long time.

• On the bench tonight, impact sub, winner on 90+4!

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @TheAndyGrahamFanClub I think I'm going to give myself a new name - TheDarylHorganFanClub. He's a class act and a damn site better than Andy Graham ever was.

Andy Graham was one of my favourite players, much underrated. Very skilful and graceful but hard as well.

• Ok guys, I get the sensitivity. And he did have just the best hair....!

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Ok guys, I get the sensitivity. And he did have just the best hair....!

You are forgiven and can now come off the naughty step

• Jury still out for me on Horgan, perhaps that is down to how he was marketed when he came in and he was essentially our marquee signing. International, Championship pedigree etc, etc.

I think because of this marketing I am expecting a lot more than he has currently produced and get frustrated with his lack of end product and goals versus what we were "told" we were getting.

I cannot fault his effort in all the time he has been here and his movement has significantly improved this season.

Last year he overhit crosses - in my mind at least 80% of good positions ended up with overhit crosses which regularly went out for goal kicks at the back post.

Given the praise on this thread, I'm going to try and wipe out the "marketing" element to his signing and start looking at his play with a more open mind.

• Keep an eye on him when we don't have the ball. His work rate is superb

Also look for how he always makes himself available when we have possession. That's what the top players do

• @Commoner said:
    Jury still out for me on Horgan, perhaps that is down to how he was marketed when he came in and he was essentially our marquee signing. International, Championship pedigree etc, etc.

I think because of this marketing I am expecting a lot more than he has currently produced and get frustrated with his lack of end product and goals versus what we were "told" we were getting.

I cannot fault his effort in all the time he has been here and his movement has significantly improved this season.

Last year he overhit crosses - in my mind at least 80% of good positions ended up with overhit crosses which regularly went out for goal kicks at the back post.

Given the praise on this thread, I'm going to try and wipe out the "marketing" element to his signing and start looking at his play with a more open mind.

I agree with your summary 100% there.
    May just be one of those expectations being sky high levels making it exceptionally hard to live up to.

A few assists already this season helps, but McCleary has been the star man in my eyes.

• Mcleary definitely an unexpected stand-out but I think having Horgan and Vokes playing has also helped him. They keep defences busy.

• The potential quality between the 3 of them is mouth watering. Even if we haven't come close to optimising Vokes yet.

But it was also good we could rotate 2 of them and still win an away game.

Just hope we don't call that Gillingham game off in a couple of weeks.

• Horgan and McCleary are clearly both class players at this level, however the difference seems to me to be that one has an end product and the other doesn't.

• @mooneyman said:
    Horgan and McCleary are clearly both class players at this level, however the difference seems to me to be that one has an end product and the other doesn't.

That's it. But then McCleary has played premier league on top.
    Roll on it suddenly turning Horgan's way though. Maybe in the way it turned for Beavon.

• Someone mentioned it earlier I think but currently it feels very similar to Stuart Roberts signing.

I do hope we get more in memories from Horgan than just the Northampton away game with Roberts.

I would like to see Horgan playing on the right, beating the left back, getting to the byline and then putting a ball onto the edge of the 6 yard box for Vokes to power home.

I'd be asking him to try and do that as often as possible. Even if he fails several times at beating his man or with the end product, just keep going, he will get it right in the end!

• @Malone said:

Just hope we don't call that Gillingham game off in a couple of weeks.

Ditto - we may regret calling the Ipswich one off. They appear to be gelling at last.

• One thing's for sure, if we don't beat Ipswich in November it will quickly become indisputable fact that we would have done in September

• I suspect we had a lot of injuries in early September and may have had to put out a very weak side.
    With our non-announcement of injuries policy we may never know.
    @eric_plant I thought that was already an indisputable fact?

• Were peoples' expectations of Horgan really sky high? We paid £50k for him when he had a couple of years left on his contract playing in Scotland. Don't get me wrong, I really like him as a player and think he is a very important part of our forward triumvirate. The goals and assists will come, but don't underestimate what he already offers with regards to ball retention and general threat going forward.

• @eric_plant said:
    One thing's for sure, if we don't beat Ipswich in November it will quickly become indisputable fact that we would have done in September

To be fair, I could have beaten Ipswich in September.

• Referee performance notwithstanding

• @drcongo said:

@eric_plant said:
    One thing's for sure, if we don't beat Ipswich in November it will quickly become indisputable fact that we would have done in September

To be fair, I could have beaten Ipswich in September.

Not without the help of VAR!

• ...and with Ainsworth's mate Akinfenwe still wearing the shirt and getting on the pitch?

• @Steve_Peart said:

@LeedsBlue said:

Andy Graham was one of my favourite players, much underrated. Very skilful and graceful but hard as well.

Wasn't Andy Graham into bands like The Fall and The Wedding Present ? Or have I dreamt that up ?
    I remember seeing Mr Graham wearing grey flares, in the blues club, when they were very much out of fashion.
    He was a school teacher and very much a cult hero for his ungainly run and haircut.

• @Wendoverman said:
    ...and with Ainsworth's mate Akinfenwe still wearing the shirt and getting on the pitch?

It's an indisputable fact that Bayo was and still is our all time record goalscorer. He would be 'mates' with whoever was the manager of Wycombe Wanderers and deserves a place in our squad regardless of his age.