Skip to content

Chants yesterday evening

Comments

• How can we get Story of the Blues into our armoury. The more I think of this the more it has anthem written all over it. Get it played over the tannoy in the match build up?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Going big on the word ‘entitled’ @thecatwwfc . After the lockdown and with so many families and people suffering from loss, financial pressures or mental health issues I think it was a privilege to able to support our great club last night. I felt I represented a little of those who couldn’t or didn’t go.

If you think you are entitled to do it you are a very lucky person in one way. A very self absorbed in another.

You've completely twisted the subject and made it about Covid.
    We are all privileged to come through lockdown and I fully appreciate that some people struggled. I struggled myself mentally, but I didn't sit around and wallow...I made sure I did something about it. I didn't wait for things to come to me, I went out and got them. Everybody(or most) has played their part in getting through this pandemic.

For that reason, I am entitled because I worked for it. Anyone can do the same, just some choose not to, which is fine. It doesn't make them any less entitled than me. I feel privileged to be alive and to have what I have but at the same time, I deserve it.

• @ryan_w_kirkby said:
    The worst one was shoes off for the wanderers I think it was.

That was from those blokes who kept taking items of clothing off in repeated and hilarious attempts to become televised sensations (from the third tier).

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Going big on the word ‘entitled’ @thecatwwfc . After the lockdown and with so many families and people suffering from loss, financial pressures or mental health issues I think it was a privilege to able to support our great club last night. I felt I represented a little of those who couldn’t or didn’t go.

If you think you are entitled to do it you are a very lucky person in one way. A very self absorbed in another.

Uriah Heap has nothing on you in the humility stakes.

• It's a football match not a visit to the theatre, some people are on a level of self righteousness on here that I simply don't believe translates into "real life"if they really have been going to watch football for any length of time - not without headphones or a blindfold on

We went there as equals in the cup, not as a warm up friendly by invitation, so yes there's some respect for how good they are on the pitch, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't give a little bit out from the stands- nothing I saw or heard was close to over the line.

• edited September 2021

We’ve! been to,
    Rotterdam, Monaco,
    Napoli and Rome,
    We still get blue empty seats,
    Empty seats at home,
    Empty seats at home

• Still as far as filling a ground goes, we are hardly an example. 4,500 at home in a 10,000 capacity stadium falls short of the the 28000 city had at home in their 55000 capacity stadium (albeit only just).

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Still as far as filling a ground goes, we are hardly an example. 4,500 at home in a 10,000 capacity stadium falls short of the the 28000 city had at home in their 55000 capacity stadium (albeit only just).

Don't think you'll find any Wycombe fans claiming we're "the best club in the world" though.

• Deary me, City fans are a great bunch. Good-humoured, friendly and self-deprecating. I'd be delighted to go back up there again if we got them in a cup.

Hopefully on a saturday afternoon next time

• @arnos_grove said:

@ryan_w_kirkby said:
    The worst one was shoes off for the wanderers I think it was.

That was from those blokes who kept taking items of clothing off in repeated and hilarious attempts to become televised sensations (from the third tier).

I was in L3. I was amused to watch a guy (sometimes joined by a pal) spend pretty much 90 minutes making a combination of threatening and obscene gestures at City fans. Poor chap could barely have seen the game but he must have had some gratification from this to continue for so long. Most odd.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    How can we get Story of the Blues into our armoury. The more I think of this the more it has anthem written all over it. Get it played over the tannoy in the match build up?

Wholeheartedly support this - just need to convince my son!!

• I must admit I find it strange to pay so much money and travel so far to make wanker signs at strangers, but it would be very boring if we were all the same. Much like the lad in front of me at spurs who staggered drunkenly to his seat just before kick-off, shouted a bit, slipped into unconsciousness and then vomited down his front before being led away by his mates. Did not see him again.

• @thecatwwfc said:

We’ve! been to,
    Rotterdam, Monaco,
    Napoli and Rome,
    We still get blue empty seats,
    Empty seats at home,
    Empty seats at home

That is pretty good

• @AlanCecil said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    How can we get Story of the Blues into our armoury. The more I think of this the more it has anthem written all over it. Get it played over the tannoy in the match build up?

It used to be played a bit on the tannoy post Hayes when the Trust took over didn’t it? Sort of defiant “first they take our pride (and change the name to Wycombe Wasps)” vibe about it.

• edited September 2021

@thecatwwfc said:
    Still as far as filling a ground goes, we are hardly an example. 4,500 at home in a 10,000 capacity stadium falls short of the the 28000 city had at home in their 55000 capacity stadium (albeit only just).

There's just a bit of difference between a premier league winner based in a huge city, versus a small league 1 club in Bucks though?

Since when could a premier league winner not fill their ground for goodness sake? It's madness.

• @thecatwwfc "entitled" hmmm....I don't think ANYONE is entitled to sing what the hell they like no matter how much they've paid. Or...how much do I have to pay until I'm entitled to sing something racist? Or can you pay per swear word perhaps?

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

There's just a bit of difference between a premier league winner based in a huge city, versus a small league 1 club in Bucks though?

Since when could a premier league winner not fill their ground for goodness sake? It's madness.

I completely agree.

It's kind of relative though. When could a League 1 playoff winner not more than half fill their ground?

• @Doob said:
    @thecatwwfc "entitled" hmmm....I don't think ANYONE is entitled to sing what the hell they like no matter how much they've paid. Or...how much do I have to pay until I'm entitled to sing something racist? Or can you pay per swear word perhaps?

I think you've missed the point, and my comment was somewhat exaggerated.

I don't want to stand there swearing. The argument started off by people moaning about the lack of variety jn our songs, followed by complaining about certain songs, followed by questioning why the songs were aimed at the City fans instead of encouraging our team. There was nothing that offensive sung...it was all as you say...."banter ".

It's football!

Not like the City fan in the box in L2 that gave one of our fans a monkey gesture and filmed the reaction. Scumbag.

• edited September 2021

@thecatwwfc said:

@Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

I completely agree.

It's kind of relative though. When could a League 1 playoff winner not more than half fill their ground?

I don't think it is. Winning the League One play-offs doesn't make you a superpower, whereas routinely winning the Premier League title kind of does. That said, I think it's a positive thing in a way - in the sense it shows that City's success hasn't attracted load of bandwagoners (or maybe it has and they just don't go to games ?‍♂️).

• Perhaps if you buy all the best players the winning just gets boring and you only turn up to see them play one of the other teams that has bought all the best players. Which is, I suppose, the money men's theory behind a super league.

• To be fair, I did not read @thecatwwfc 's comment and immediately think he was demanding the right to be racist.

• I suspect the cost of living going through the roof is having a major impact on some clubs that have traditionally had a local fanbase rather than a prawn sandwich brigade fanbase. Man Utd, Liverpool will probably always sell out but not sure City would. They've always had a steady 25k to 35k fan base until the Sheikh arrived.

If I had to choose between a league match or league cup match as I could only afford to go to one, I know what game I'd be going to.

Maybe the lack of fans against Leipzig was a protest against Red Bull!

Overall it will be a combination of many factors.

• @Wendoverman said:
    To be fair, I did not read @thecatwwfc 's comment and immediately think he was demanding the right to be racist.

What?? Where on earth did I mention anything of the sort?
    It should go without saying. I shouldn't have to explain that I don't want to be racist.

• @Doob said:
    @thecatwwfc "entitled" hmmm....I don't think ANYONE is entitled to sing what the hell they like no matter how much they've paid. Or...how much do I have to pay until I'm entitled to sing something racist? Or can you pay per swear word perhaps?

You know what I meant. Stop being pedantic. Of course I don't want to swear or be racist. That's not the argument, you've started something completely different. My argument is that people are entitled to direct "banter" towards away fans. It's all part of the fun!!

I've seen how irate people get on here about fans commenting on how we play/don't play....it gets to us. So why can't we give the same back?

• @AlanCecil said:

I know a few Wanderers fans who have this as there ring tone.
    It should be blasted out of the Tanner 30 seconds before the teams come out, and then continue as they warm up.
    A real atmospheric and uplifting tune.

• I didn't say you did @thecatwwfc which was sort of my point.

• @ChasHarps said:

@AlanCecil said:

I know a few Wanderers fans who have this as there ring tone.
    It should be blasted out of the Tanner 30 seconds before the teams come out, and then continue as they warm up.
    A real atmospheric and uplifting tune.

Pete Wylie could probably do with the money as well.

As for chants after about a million years has anyone done any research into whether or not '...you're shit aaaaaaaaaah!' actually has any effect on the goalie?

• @Wendoverman said:
    I didn't say you did @thecatwwfc which was sort of my point.

Apologies. Mis-read.

• The original comment/discussion starter didn't allude to any offense being caused by the chants. Banter is a part of football and the initial chant was amusing the first time. It wasn't at all by the 7th (including pre and post match). IMHO we're better and more inventive than that. I really like the suggested club anthem by the way @TheAndyGrahamFanClub!

@Doob said:

I think you've missed the point, and my comment was somewhat exaggerated.

I don't want to stand there swearing. The argument started off by people moaning about the lack of variety jn our songs, followed by complaining about certain songs, followed by questioning why the songs were aimed at the City fans instead of encouraging our team. There was nothing that offensive sung...it was all as you say...."banter ".

It's football!

Not like the City fan in the box in L2 that gave one of our fans a monkey gesture and filmed the reaction. Scumbag.

• edited September 2021

****As for chants after about a million years has anyone done any research into whether or not '...you're shit aaaaaaaaaah!' actually has any effect on the goalie?****

This is probably the worst chant ever, also has probably never ever put a goalie off