Skip to content

What is the worst performance you've ever seen from a Wanderers player?

Comments

• @kiscokid said:
    Lest we forget Bas Savage....also who was that young striker who made his debut at Loakes Park - ran his ass into the ground like a headless chicken and ended up in Wycombe General hospital????

Richard Thompson if I remember rightly.

• Charlie Comyn-Platt. His awful performance away at Scunthorpe takes the biscuit. Crowd baying for him to be subbed. His old man sat in front of me none to amused.

Old timers may also remember portly midfielder Nigel Taylor - an immobile Paul McCartney look-a-like who played an extraordinary number of matches despite being utter shite.

Martin Lambert anyone?

• Jim Kelman had a strange version of Anorexia, not in himself but couldn't see that
    Taylor was far too overweight to play at that level of football.
    I remember Kelman once claiming that Taylor was one of the quickest and fittest at training !! He started playing him at full back,where he kept getting roasted. I think he emigrated, but then we came up against him in the FA Cup a little later.

• It HAS to be Carlos Lopez doesn't it? I can't believe the others mentioned even come close!

• Rick Collier's one and only appearance between the sticks at the Croydon Sports Arena anyone?? Screaming 'My ball' as it goes over his head into the net....comedy/tragedy axis well and truly spliced.

• The aforementioned Carlos Lopez takes it by a mile. I simply couldn't believe what I was watching that night.

• @CambridgeBlue said:
    JP Pittman when he came on at Oxford last season?

Pittman trotting around like he was on the verge of papping himself, when
    all we needed was some energy and to make himself a nusance.
    How he declared himself fit to be in the squad that day, i will never know.

• Who was the player who only made half an appearance under Martin O'Neill before being promptly released / sold?

• Tony Sorrell? Wasn't that because he got a bit punchy in the dressing room afterwards because someone asked him about a scar he had?

• @arnos_grove said:
    Charlie Comyn-Platt. His awful performance away at Scunthorpe takes the biscuit. Crowd baying for him to be subbed. His old man sat in front of me none to amused.

Yeah, I would also pick Comyn-Platt, playing as left back in home game in 2004. Everytime he cleared the ball forward it immediately went out for a throw in. The terrace was on his case all game. I felt quite sorry for him, actually.

• @eric_plant said:
    Tony Sorrell? Wasn't that because he got a bit punchy in the dressing room afterwards because someone asked him about a scar he had?

Total Nutter

• @eric_plant said:
    Tony Sorrell? Wasn't that because he got a bit punchy in the dressing room afterwards because someone asked him about a scar he had?

Not the one I'm thinking of. I have a feeling it was the brother of an actual footballer.

• M3GM3G
    edited February 2015

I remember Martin O'Neil giving some lad a run out in the later part of A Pre-Season Friendly. I am struggling to remember the one though, was he a Greek or Cypriot lad? He was obviously not a footballer, I can see him now black hair, short and not very well built, Just ran around, I don't think he touched the ball. I was told he did it as a favour for someone he knew of someone at the club.

• There was some award-winning stuff from Castledine in his second spell as well. Still rankles a bit that he got himself front and centre in the Filbert St celebration photos (although not as much as Alan Parry galavanting around the pitch as though he, not Roy Essandoh, had scored the winning goal)

• @M3G said:
    I remember Martin O'Neil giving some lad a run out in the later part of A Pre-Season Friendly. I am struggling to remember the one though, was he a Greek or Cypriot lad? He was obviously not a footballer, I can see him now black hair, short and not very well built, Just ran around, I don't think he touched the ball. I was told he did it as a favour for someone he knew of someone at the club.

See @kiscokid post earlier in the thread. George Asthanathanou (probably not correctly spelt) was his name - he'd made some big pre-match claims to Jim Melvin apparently. 45 hapless minutes at Aylesbury United.

• @Dan said:

Yeah I'd have to go with Comyn-Platt as well. But then I wasn't at that Cambridge game...

• Hey, what happened to the quote?

• Leon Johnson against Port Vale under the Sky cameras

• Are we all forgetting any one of the, thankfully, few appearances of a certain Mr. M. Foran?

• edited February 2015

@Dan said:

I remember that home game, sat in the family stand it was painful watching him just in front of me.

• Apparently I am unquotable.

• @bourne70 said:
    Leon Johnson against Port Vale under the Sky cameras

Don't think we ever played Port Vale on Sky. I reckon you're thinking of the 0-6 defeat to Huddersfield in January 2012. Leon was very poor in that game, one of his worst for us, though wouldn't say it was THE worst ever.

• @DanishBacon said:
    Are we all forgetting any one of the, thankfully, few appearances of a certain Mr. M. Foran?

No - I mentioned him back on page 1.

• This was by no means THE worst, but Neil Lennon at home to Mansfield.
    When we lost 2-1, after beating them away 4-0. He was very poor, and what made it all worse was we played everything through him.

And anything Leon Crooks ever did.

• Marek Stech , goalkeeper brought in on loan by Peter Taylor to replace Shearer when he broke his ankle. Jamie Young was surprisingly dropped in favour of Stech despite a run of good form. Stech then cocked up on his debut and cost us the game, can't remember who the opposition were. I think Young left not long afterwards.

• Mark Rogers at Adams park, generally as a centre back, but I remember him playing atrociously at right back. First 3 passes straight into the stand, 4th time he got the ball I stood up and called "to me" I caught the ball called him a useless arse" or words to that effect. Then his mum who was sat next to me went off on one. I maintained he was the worst right back I had seen in the quarters.

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    Marek Stech , goalkeeper brought in on loan by Peter Taylor to replace Shearer when he broke his ankle. Jamie Young was surprisingly dropped in favour of Stech despite a run of good form. Stech then cocked up on his debut and cost us the game, can't remember who the opposition were. I think Young left not long afterwards.

Was that Stech one when at a goal kick, he smashed it straight to Adam leFondre who won Rochdale the game in the 90th min?

• Stech was responsible for that terrible kick. I think he was also at fault for a couple of goals in a 3 all draw but I forget who that was against.

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    Marek Stech , goalkeeper brought in on loan by Peter Taylor to replace Shearer when he broke his ankle. Jamie Young was surprisingly dropped in favour of Stech despite a run of good form. Stech then cocked up on his debut and cost us the game, can't remember who the opposition were. I think Young left not long afterwards.

Stech's debut was the 3-3 draw at Brentford. He didn't cover himself in glory when the Bees' second goal went straight in from a free kick which was intended as a cross.

As @prufrock_91 says, the following week he sliced a last-minute clearance and cost us the Rochdale game. I don't think he played for us again.

• @Fit2drop said:
    Mark Rogers at Adams park, generally as a centre back, but I remember him playing atrociously at right back. First 3 passes straight into the stand, 4th time he got the ball I stood up and called "to me" I caught the ball called him a useless arse" or words to that effect. Then his mum who was sat next to me went off on one. I maintained he was the worst right back I had seen in the quarters.

Mark Rogers never had the pace or ability on the ball to play right back but still Sanchez insisted on playing him there. Shame that people remember that, because he did have some decent games for us at centre back and was overall a nice guy who still takes an interest in the club from the other side of the world.