Skip to content

iFollow for the Afflicted

Comments

• @therabbittest that’s clear then

• Ed_Ed_
    edited August 2021

Ps - my original point stands though, in the context of Test and Trace imposing a period of isolation.

• @Ed_ said:
    Ps - my original point stands though, in the context of Test and Trace imposing a period of isolation.

Oh sure, I guess the only really relevant part is that the number of people actually contacted by Track and Trace is a tiny fraction of those getting pinged.

• And the rules change in Aug 16 so you only need to isolate if you a) have it or b) are not double vaxxed.

• I don’t share your opinion. Since as you say it is the track and trace comtact which signifies here, then the absolute value of track and trace contacts is the relevant factor regardless of the ping statistics.

• Hopefully this works out. I used a VPN successfully to watch some away games 3-4 seasons ago when ifollow first came in. It worked for a season or so (albeit with no commentary and delayed sound at that time) but then seemed to detect that a VPN was in place and stopped working. Netflix et al do a similar thing. You may find that some VPN providers will go undetected so worth trying a few - most offer a short free trial so you could try them out first.

• The website seems to suggest the Stanley game will be on sale but isn't yet. Not at all clear who to.
    It also has zero info on upcoming away games, or any games beyond Saturday.
    From the trust minutes it seems the Leicester game came around pretty quickly for those in charge and now focus is very much on sorting things for Saturday.
    I'm sure we'll start to hear more in the next few days.
    I'm not sure why but I've been paying monthly for the audio commentary in addition to any individual games on video purchased or included as a result of the season ticket, probably need to sort that when it becomes clearer.

• It all appears to be hickledy pickledy at the moment. Taking my good lady down to see Ben this morning as we can't load season tickets on the mobiles, this after me already going twice, but then I am to technology what Humptey Dumptey is to the balance bar at the Olympics! We are away on holiday for the Accy game on Saturday, so hoping that IFollow won't have the same issues so I can at least listen in to the commentary.
    No certainty over the Exeter away ticket availability yet, however as our holiday is in Somerset & we are missing the Accy game, we would like to attend the away game at Exeter, yet as of writing these not on sale yet and there is no ticket sales for away fans on the day! Nervous times.

• @Shev or anyone ‘international’ have you managed to buy a ticket for Accrington on iFollow yet? Until today it was saying ‘not yet available’, now it has just disappeared completely and moved onto Exeter?

• @Quarterman I can get to the buy tickets option on the website. The upcoming few fixtures normally appear on the homepage of the app, but nothing yet...

• @Quarterman said:
    @Shev or anyone ‘international’ have you managed to buy a ticket for Accrington on iFollow yet? Until today it was saying ‘not yet available’, now it has just disappeared completely and moved onto Exeter?

I have the season pass, so I should be able to just login to watch each game on the day. Hopefully @floyd has clarified above.

Best of luck!

• Will expect it to revert back to 2 seasons ago style then.
    Just midweekers or non saturdays.

At least that will still be 10 or so games all in, but will definitely miss being able to watch all aways from home.

• Poor decision if that's the case, no need for the blackout now that clubs have the facility to broadcast their games (and they have had for quite a few years now...).

• Now confirmed

• I feel most sorry for Chairboys fans in Ireland. Not on the same landmass to go the games, but not treated as international viewers for iFollow, so no access there either.

• It's really not hard to use a VPN

• @Username It's not, but as @Glenactico says, it tends to suss it and block it.

• It is when you're as useless to IT as I am!

• The easiest way to circumvent this is to use a Chrome extension VPN. It is easier to install, they are usually free of charge unlike standalone VPNs, and for some reason I find iFollow haven't cottoned on to the IP addresses of the extensions.

My company pay a subscription for HMA VPN, and iFollow has blocked all of their proxies. Whereas some random extension I found on the Google store gets around it no bother.

• It does seem strange that the EFL and clubs haven't used this period to look at the whole ifollow situation and its potential to create more wider use and revenue for the clubs. Having not used it at all before Covid, I would be tempted to pay for away games now if the option was there.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    The easiest way to circumvent this is to use a Chrome extension VPN. It is easier to install, they are usually free of charge unlike standalone VPNs, and for some reason I find iFollow haven't cottoned on to the IP addresses of the extensions.

With my technical head on, I would say do not do this. 99% of free VPN Chrome extensions are sketchy, and a great many are outright spyware which will be logging everything you visit, injecting scripts into other sites, logging your keystrokes (thereby accessing your bank login etc). A VPN is definitely something you should research carefully and pay for.

My other advice here would be to try to find someone nearer than Australia, otherwise your stream is basically circumnavigating the globe before it gets to you. This isn't too much of a problem when you're watching pre-recorded content (like Netflix etc) but for a live stream it's likely to significantly degrade the quality.

• It seems one thing to find a stream online for some games and quite another thing to set up some technical ruse to fool the system.

Personally speaking,I will just have to be satisfied with home games being back available and try to get to a few aways I think.

• edited August 2021

Funny after the EFL spent last season ramming down our throats how bad illegal streams are... Not that they have the power to lift the blackout - but I wonder how much they lobbied for that?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Funny after the EFL spent last season ramming down our throats how bad illegal streams are... Not that they have the power to lift the blackout - but I wonder how much they lobbied for that?

I wonder how long it'll be before you can find league 1 streams online. I suppose too few people have access abroad and it'd flash up with their number identifying them.

• Interesting about Ireland being bound by the same rules as the UK, because I'm sure they show 3pm games on Sky over there?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Interesting about Ireland being bound by the same rules as the UK, because I'm sure they show 3pm games on Sky over there?

I think it's to do with the way the EFL rights are packaged, UK and Ireland being the one "domestic" territory.

• @drcongo said:

@OxfordBlue said:
    The easiest way to circumvent this is to use a Chrome extension VPN. It is easier to install, they are usually free of charge unlike standalone VPNs, and for some reason I find iFollow haven't cottoned on to the IP addresses of the extensions.

With my technical head on, I would say do not do this. 99% of free VPN Chrome extensions are sketchy, and a great many are outright spyware which will be logging everything you visit, injecting scripts into other sites, logging your keystrokes (thereby accessing your bank login etc). A VPN is definitely something you should research carefully and pay for.

My other advice here would be to try to find someone nearer than Australia, otherwise your stream is basically circumnavigating the globe before it gets to you. This isn't too much of a problem when you're watching pre-recorded content (like Netflix etc) but for a live stream it's likely to significantly degrade the quality.

While you're probably right in part, the problem is that if you shell out for a subscription VPN and find out all the IPs have been blocked you've wasted your money.

• I have a VPN (a legit, paid for one), so would I still need to make a new iFollow account with a different email address etc?

• No surprise that there has been no flexibility shown. I’ve managed to sort everything out with buying a VPN (NordVPN) and getting oversea email, address, number and payment card but the one problem is I cannot seem to purchase an iFollow ticket for Accrington! The only option I can see at the moment is the season pass. As iFollow does offer 14 day cooling off period or any refund, I can’t afford to spend £150 on something that might well not work, or if it does be poor quality. I was going to try and test it on Saturday for a tenner a) to see if it worked and b) to see if the streaming quality was any good using a VPN, but if the game doesn’t become available as a one off I’m going to have to miss it, gutted.