Skip to content

First Game, First 11

13»

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Interesting that Gaz said one player had an op and will probably miss the first 2/3 games. I'm inclined to think it's Gape as didn't he injure the same thing more than once last season? Although equally I don't recall seeing Thompson kitted up in any pre-season again. Then again, he did also say everyone will have played 90 minutes before the start of the season.

I'd assumed it was probably one of Gape, Thompson or Taff since none of them were named on Wednesday.

• Thompson (as stated above), was warming up before the game and looked pretty much fit. He might have had a knock in training and they decided to keep him back for the first league game.
    Don’t know what the news is about Gape, Taffazolli or Wheeler. Out of those three, we can I’ll afford to lose Taff in my opinion.

• Taff looks fit in his Instagram fitness videos.
    Thomo is a notoriously slow starter to reach peak fitness pre season.
    Wheels is v low profile at the moment so worried it might be him.
    But my money would be on Dom given history and in v early pre season (for re-hab?).

• I'd go 4-4-2 for this one, given the way Stanley set up:

Taylor

Cousins
    Stewart
    McCarthy
    Jacobson

Worley
    Ryan (c)
    Simpson
    Guppy

Rammell
    Beavon

Sub: Horseman

• I’d like to see Mooney and Garner up front.

If there was a Top Trump rating for guile, these two would be the highest ranking cards!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@username123 said:
    Out of interest - anybody else’s phone try to predictive text out goalkeepers name to Stocktake ?! ALL THE BLOODY TIME!

Mine does Stockade

Drcongo's does 'Allsop'

• Mine comes up with Lester.

• @LX1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@username123 said:
    Out of interest - anybody else’s phone try to predictive text out goalkeepers name to Stocktake ?! ALL THE BLOODY TIME!

Mine does Stockade

Drcongo's does 'Allsop'

????

• Stockdale

Stewart
    Tafazolli
    Jacobson

McCarthy
    Scowen
    Thompson
    Obita

Horgan

Kashket
    Akinfenwa

Until I change my mind again...

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Stockdale

Stewart
    Tafazolli
    Jacobson

McCarthy
    Scowen
    Thompson
    Obita

Horgan

Kashket
    Akinfenwa

Thought you were saying Bayo would be lucky to start a game this season?

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Stockdale

Stewart
    Tafazolli
    Jacobson

McCarthy
    Scowen
    Thompson
    Obita

Horgan

Kashket
    Akinfenwa

Thought you were saying Bayo would be lucky to start a game this season?

?

• Surprised Obita featuring in a number of line ups

• edited August 2021

I just think Gaz will go fairly cautious - also part of the reason I think Mehmeti won't start, as Accrington would try to get him sent off by being their usual, niggly selves. Plus they play a 3-5-2 and you want to match up with that shape ideally.

• McLeary has to start, surely?

• Kashket and Bayo on the bench for me. Can’t imagine they would start with the squad we have now. Mind you, if Sam Vokes needs another week or so to get match sharp then yes Bayo may step in but can’t see Kashket getting in ahead of Kaikai.
    I could go with @Chris selection.

• edited August 2021

Kaikai isn't a striker. Maybe could play there, but don't think he ever has. A front two will bring out the best in Kashket, and we've got two big men to partner him with now!

• And on McCleary, I just think Horgan is better suited to the task at hand as he drops deep more readily and will better complement the midfield two when needed. But it is a tough call - and not the only one!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    And on McCleary, I just think Horgan is better suited to the task at hand as he drops deep more readily and will better complement the midfield two when needed. But it is a tough call - and not the only one!

Horgan could have an interesting couple of months, He looked class at times but in reality delivered very little last season. Hopefully the goal the other night, a bit of overdue luck, his recent caps, being a bit more integrated now and us seeing more of the ball can be a combination that turn him into one of the better players in this division not only our squad.

• Very much agree with that @StrongestTeam but would hope for rather more than a couple of months!

• @micra said:
    Very much agree with that @StrongestTeam but would hope for rather more than a couple of months!

Dare I say it, if it doesn't happen in the next few months we might not see too much more of him beyond that, whereas if it does we might be discussing how long he has on his contract and wether we can keep him.
    Love a new season, new sheet of paper for everyone.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@micra said:
    Very much agree with that @StrongestTeam but would hope for rather more than a couple of months!

Love a new season, new sheet of paper for everyone.

Unless you're a season ticket holder

• I don't care who plays as long as we win...and preferably with my predicted 2-1 scoreline.

• I'm guessing:

Stockdale

Grimmer
    Stewart
    Jacobson

McCarthy
    Scowen
    Pendlebury
    Kaikai

McCleary

Akinfenwa
    Kashket

• Stockdale

Mccarthy
    Grimmer
    Stewart
    JJ
    Obita

Scowen
    Pendlebury

Kaikai
    Vokes
    Horgan

• Are we thinking Tafa and Thompson are definitely out then?
    Hope Vokes is ready.

It's exciting these days where you don't really have a clue with the line up as there's so many options.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I don't care who plays as long as we win...and preferably with my predicted 2-1 scoreline.

Well done @Wendoverman! That prediction was 3 August.