Skip to content

First Game, First 11

edited July 2021 in Football

So, we’re a week away from the first match and it does seem like we will be playing either 3-4-3 or 3-4-1-2, which I mean really pleased about. I am really excited that GA has decided to keep this formation as we were so impressive with it at the end of last season. Assuming everyone is fit, what’s your team for that first match?

Here’s mine, it is actually really tough (3-4-1-2)

Stockdale
    Grimmer, Stewart, Tafazolli
McCarthy, Scowen, Thompson, Horgan
            McCleary
         Vokes, Kashket

That leaves JJ, Wakely, Freeman, Pendlebury, Gape, Wheeler, Mehmeti, Kaikai, Samuel, Bayo on the bench! What a squad!

I’m going to put a prediction here. If we start with Vokes and Kashket up front for the majority of games, I think Scott is going to have a breakthrough season and score an absolute hatful (at least 20) - his pace and sharpness in and around Vokes could be very, very good. I thought he was excellent last season and aside from a couple of games before he lost his place where his finishing was uncharacteristically off, he looked at home in the Championship. If he gets the starts he is going to be big this season.

I’ve also got Horgan left side (midfield/wing back), he has the energy and quality to play that position and its the only place I can see him getting into the side. I really think with a run of games he could be a revelation in this position.His quality cutting inside in the final third and delivering for Vokes. I know there was much discussion last season about his crossing, but I think with a run of games, confidence and a real target to cross to (Uche was a different type of player) his quality will shine.

Across a season we’ll have lots of changes and I am completely confident you could make 4 or 5 changes without weakening the team at all, and providing different options. I don’t think we’ve ever had that.

So, with a bit of luck with injuries etc, I’m predicting we can challenge right at the top. 1st.

Comments

• Stockdale
    McCleary
    Vokes, Kashket

Sorry about the formatting before!

• sharemytactics.com gives you an embed link, although idk if it would work on here?

• edited July 2021

Pro tip for anyone trying to make their squads line up like a line-up: Wrap the squad in triple backticks - ``` before and after ``` - and your intended whitespace will remain intact. Though you do get this horrible yellow background...

Stockdale
                McCleary
             Vokes, Kashket

@Quarterman I've now updated your first post to fix the formatting.

• Can't see Kasket getting in in front of Kaikai. How many years now have we been saying this could be his season.

• edited July 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    sharemytactics.com gives you an embed link, although idk if it would work on here?

Ok, it doesn't work. But...

Stockdale

Grimmer
    Tafazolli
    Jacobson

McCarthy
    Thompson
    Scowen
    Horgan

Vokes
    Kashket

(visual here)

I do really like the idea of Horgan at LWB - inverted so can move into the space vacated by Kashket if he drifts wide.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Can't see Kasket getting in in front of Kaikai. How many years now have we been saying this could be his season.

I think you're gravely underestimating him.

• Maybe I am, and I definitely know I'm in a minority as I just don't quite get the clamour for Kashket, he's had one great season for us about 5 years ago, don't get me wrong I'd love to be proved wrong and he gets 20 goals this season and you can all hammer me for it. Anyway, I can see us getting a young striker in on loan as well which will make it even harder for him and Samuel.

• Scotty K looked like he was on fire on Wednesday night. Pace will create havoc at any level and he seems to have his back.
    What goes on in training will determine the line up for sure but have to believe Dobbo will be looking at Scotty off Vokes as a starting option.
    Hope we don’t just hump the ball into the box hoping Sam can get a head on it. We look better than that

• edited July 2021

It's back to three subs from seven this season (can we call it 'this season' yet?), btw!

• Thank you for tidying that up @drcongo :-)

• Stockdale

Grimmer Tafazolli Jacobson

McCarthy Scowen Thompson Kaikai

McCleary

Vokes Kashket

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Maybe I am, and I definitely know I'm in a minority as I just don't quite get the clamour for Kashket

Sorry, it was just a Gasroom tradition post whenever someone misspells Kashket as Kasket.

• Oops so I did !! Thankfully got it right 2nd time

• For me, 3-4-1-2 with the following players:

Stockdale GK
    Grimmer RCB
    Stewart CB
    Tafazolli LCB (If fit)
    McCarthy RWB
    Gape RCM (If fit)
    Thompson LCM (If fit)
    Horgan LWB
    Mehmeti CAM
    Vokes RS (If fit)
    Kaikai LS

Also, does anyone know how many subs we can have on the bench this year?

• Why are people leaving JJ out?! He'll wear the armband as well, I expect.

• Something like this:

Stockdale

Stewart, Tafazolli, Jacobson

McCarthy, Scowen, Thompson, Obita

McCleary

Vokes, Kaikai

• @thedieharder said:
    For me, 3-4-1-2 with the following players:

Stockdale GK
    Grimmer RCB
    Stewart CB
    Tafazolli LCB (If fit)
    McCarthy RWB
    Gape RCM (If fit)
    Thompson LCM (If fit)
    Horgan LWB
    Mehmeti CAM
    Vokes RS (If fit)
    Kaikai LS

Also, does anyone know how many subs we can have on the bench this year?

Back to 3 subs from 7

• Stockdale
    McCarthy, Scowen, Mehmeti, Obita
    Wheeler
    Vokes, Kaikai

I realise it is unlikely Mehmeti will start, but I just feel that Scowen and Thompson are too similar and we need someone with more creativity.

• @ReturnToSenda Exactly - on JJ. I mean surely one of the benefits of (the reasons for, even) the 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3 formation is how well it suits JJ at this stage of his career. It's harsh on somebody, but I imagine that any one of Grimmer, Stewart or Tafazolli will miss out before JJ.

• @Chris said:
    Something like this:

Stockdale

Stewart, Tafazolli, Jacobson

McCarthy, Scowen, Thompson, Obita

McCleary

Vokes, Kaikai

This for me as well, though Grimmer and Wheeler are both knocking on the door for inclusion.

• edited July 2021

@our_frank said:
    @ReturnToSenda Exactly - on JJ. I mean surely one of the benefits of (the reasons for, even) the 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3 formation is how well it suits JJ at this stage of his career. It's harsh on somebody, but I imagine that any one of Grimmer, Stewart or Tafazolli will miss out before JJ.

Especially while we have no obvious other set-piece candidate (unless it's McCarthy shooting from a free-kick). Not that that's all JJ brings to the table by any means - and he was more than solid in that role in the Championship. Plus there are a lot of advantages to using full-backs in the outside centre-back positions.

• Exactly.

• Need JJ on the park to provide the service to Vokes, we could be lethal from set pieces this season with Vokes, Taff and Wheeler amongst others being so strong in the air

• @Vincey said:
    Need JJ on the park to provide the service to Vokes, we could be lethal from set pieces this season with Vokes, Taff and Wheeler amongst others being so strong in the air

Don't forget Bayo! Wonder if we'll ever see a combination where they're all on at the same time packing the box.

• For me, JJ will play a lot of games and is still an absolutely integral player. But he won’t play every one (for example against some teams with lots of pace in the channel or very direct), but he can come in (along with Gape, Wheeler, Obita, Mehmeti and Kaikai) and the team is not weakened at all. Freeman, Pendlebury, Samuel, Bayo and Wakely are perhaps a small step down but all are still very, very good players though and I’m sure will make significant contributions in periods throughout the season. Pendlebury and Wakely especially have massive potential.

GA and Dobbo have never been a same team, same formation managers. Horses for courses. They are lots of games where we will change the side for rest, rotation, injury, form or tactical decisions. We have got so, so many options which is what we need for a concerted challenge at the top as injuries and loss of form are inevitable at times.

• edited July 2021

Agree with horses for courses, but JJ is the kind of horse who can cope with most courses and you have to look for reasons to leave him out rather than the other way round.

• I don't know why anyone would leave McLeary out either. He's going to be am absolute star in league 1. He's far too good for that level

• @eric_plant said:
    I don't know why anyone would leave McLeary out either. He's going to be am absolute star in league 1. He's far too good for that level

I left him out of mine because I only picked 10 players ?‍♂️

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@eric_plant said:
    I don't know why anyone would leave McLeary out either. He's going to be am absolute star in league 1. He's far too good for that level

I left him out of mine because I only picked 10 players ?‍♂️

Is that a new EFL penalty as a variation to point deductions, transfer embargoes and fines!

• Whatever the lineup, it is going to be very hard choice this season.

The only worry I have is CB cover with Tafazolli being a bit injury prone. I know we signed Jack Wakely but is he one for the future?

Maybe a good loanee CB and we have options all over the pitch.