Skip to content

International Weekends

Comments

• edited September 2021

@Croider said:
    Wasn't sure if Tjay's first half booking was for a dive, or for giving the ref an earfull when he waved away the penalty claims. I though he did well in a very tough game where he was often left upfront by himself, and as mentioned above very unlucky not to score just after half time.

Looked like he'd just hit the post at first but then replays showed it actually took a really big save from the keeper to get his fingertips onto it and nudge it onto the post. If that had gone in, Gibraltar would have taken the lead and then insanity would have ensued.

The keeper Dayle Coleing was immense once again too. Saving a pen in the 4th minute which was hit low into the corner, those are tough to stop. I think Glentoran are looking to sell him too so could be worth monitoring how he does on loan at Lincoln Red Imps in the ECL.

• The ECL ?

• @micra said:
    The ECL ?

The European Cup to me and you

• @micra said:
    The ECL ?

Europa Conference League

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@micra said:
    The ECL ?

Europa Conference League

Yeah he was Cup tied for the final qualifiers but that resets at the group stage so he'll be available against PAOK, København and Slovan Bratislava.

• @LX1 said:
    PAOK?

Actually just looked it up cause it got me curious and bloody hell...

Panthessaloníkios Athlitikós Ómilos Konstadinoupolitón

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@micra said:
    The ECL ?

Europa Conference League

You would surely feel totally embarassed to lift the ECL trophy if you were part of a team that dropped out of both the champions league and europa league into it. Or if you were Harry Kane.

• @YorkshireBlue Is it actually possible to go CL-EL-ECL? I haven't looked at how it works. But I would have to laugh if Spurs won it and that was Kane's first trophy.

• @ReturnToSenda my understanding is that losers of the europa league playoff go the ecl group stage. Teams which lose in champions league 3rd round qualifying end up in the europa league playoff round. In my view this shouldnt be allowed as it makes the ecl a very weak 3rd rate competition.

• Nevertheless, it’s surely quite an achievement for a team beaten by Wycombe to be competing in the Europa Conference League. I may be displaying a degree of confusion on this alien topic.

• @micra said:
    Nevertheless, it’s surely quite an achievement for a team beaten by Wycombe to be competing in the Europa Conference League. I may be displaying a degree of confusion on this alien topic.

What team have we beaten, that are in the ECL out of interest?

• Lincoln Red Imps - thought that might fall on stoney ground! Not one of my better jokes (even).

• @micra said:
    Lincoln Red Imps - thought that might fall on stoney ground! Not one of my better jokes (even).

I expect you'll have a good 17 thumbs down by the morrow.

• Maybe they could save the fireworks until then.

• @Mandown said:
    Maybe they could save the fireworks until then.

I know our owner seems to love fireworks but if we are looking at dollars and cents and ROI do we honestly think that having fireworks at a game adds a single sale to the match?
    Regards Grumpy Man

• It could add a few child ticket sales. Though of course if they sit in the family stand they won't see a single firework.

• Children are normally accompanied by an adult, so a few extra pennies in the tin. Of course if the child enjoys the match day they may nag to go again?

• Just looking ahead to the Gillingham game on Sat 9th October. Looks like Rep of Ireland, Gibraltar and Albania U21s are all playing. What’s the general consensus of us calling the game off again? Presumably we won’t if we have everyone else fit? I guess GA will make sure Mehmeti and Barr qualify under the 25% of team sheets or 3/5 rule in the games running up just so we have the option in case we do suffer injuries. Maybe we’ll want to avoid a fixture congestion though?

• Much as I hate rescheduling I would quite hypocritically not mind them moving the Gillingham game as I will be coming back from a UK staycation and would therefore miss it.

• Do you mean a holiday?

• @YorkExile said:
    Do you mean a holiday?

I thought I would use one of the exciting buzzwords that has emerged during these troubled times. UK Staycation sounds better than a week in a caravan in Swanage, doesn't it? (I'll ask Rishi...)

• A week in Swanage is always a delight.

• Queen Victoria stayed at Swanage 1833, albeit when she was a princess and probably not in a caravan!. Also Enid Blyton stayed a number of times at the Grand Hotel in the 1950's.

• Swanage is indeed a delight. Apologies for those offended by use of Staycation.

• @Wendoverman, no offence taken but I prefer if staycation is not used to indicate a holiday away from home. This is Wikipedia's definition.

"A staycation (a portmanteau of "stay" and "vacation"), or holistay (a portmanteau of "holiday" and "stay"), is a period in which an individual or family stays home and participates in leisure activities within day trip distance of their home and does not require overnight accommodation.In British English the term has increasingly come to refer to domestic tourism: taking a holiday in one's own country as opposed to travelling abroad."

I certainly don't want to see "holistay" creep into use! "Nearcation" is also apparently in use, a holiday close to home.

• Agreed @Steve_Peart

What about UKtion?

• Portmanteaux are great. Language evolves - and the beauty of English is that you can pretty much do what you want with it!

• I could have described our recent trip to Hayling Island as a nearcation, I suppose, but I omitted to take satnav or map, left the M25 and came back on again instead of joining the A3 as intended and, waking up after 20 miles or so (not literally!) to signs for all too familiar Kentish towns, had to use the sun as a rough guide to the general direction we needed to travel, the aim being to hit the south coast at some point and turn left or right as appropriate.
    Journey took five hours instead of the usual two. It felt like a farcation.