Skip to content

International Weekends

Comments

• Possibility of Kaikai v Mahrez. Sweet.

• Could also get De Barr v Van Dijk next month!

• Kaikai isn't in the Sierra Leone squad, but presumably that's because we won't release him as they and their two.opponents are all red list counties.

• edited August 2021

Doesn't look like St Kitts and Nevis have any games during this break. They're out of qualifying, anyway.

• Horgan has been called up.

• Is that qualifying thing new this season?
    Makes a lot of sense.

Looks like the Ipswich game has a good chance of staying put then?

• DeBarr is the wild card isn’t he? If he’s in the bench this weekend that’s 3 of the last five.

• Though the key is that we "can" get it called off.
    We don't have to.

Potentially Horgan and Mehmeti are striving for the same position in the league squad, so if we potentially have Wheeler back for next weekend, does the financial advantage of a Saturday and not letting a backlog of games build up override not having one starter for one game?

• Ah shit, forgot about De Barr. That's almost certainly three then. Although surely we have to give reasonable notice? And that game is only nine days away...

• A10 day breather may help get Wheeler and McCarthy back in the fold, and get people over little niggles.
    But i bet most of us would prefer the game on, then jammed into midweek and a fixture pile up later on?

Will be interesting what the club do as time is certainly tight.

• I'll miss the game as I'm away but I agree with you @Malone, get it played. We do have some strength in depth now.

• With respect to De Baar and Burley they aren’t starters and may not be on the bench either. We should be playing this game on the Saturday if we can.

• This is surreal. How on earth are we in a position where we are due to play Ipswich on an international weekend and we’re are talking about our internationals and not theirs.

Even on the correspondent weekend two years ago this would have seemed unlikely

• Tjay officially called up for Gibraltar's games on 1st, 4th, 7th September. Will lead the line alongside Reece Styche.

• I think I’m going to go against what I think is the trend here, and say that if those 3 are called up then we should opt not to play. Our system currently has 2x number 10’s, and yesterday Horgan, Mehmeti and De Barr all played there. The match yesterday would have been even harder without them, especially Horgan who ran his socks off. Only takes McCleary to wake up with a bug or pick up a Knick and we’re screwed!

• I tend to agree. Much as I'd like the game to go ahead, I think postponing would be the right decision footballing wise. We already have a number of players injured, or returing from injury. To go ahead effectively voluntarily without a further 2 key players, along with a very able back up player doesn't seem sensible to me.

People talk about Ipswich's form, but I suspect they would view playing a much depleted Wycombe side as the perfect opportunity to get a win under their belts.

• I would play for sporting reasons.

Ipswich haven’t got their act together yet this season and haven’t won any of their 5 league matches.

But they’ve spent a lot of money on players and it’s fairly inevitable that they will be a force to be reckoned with in this division at some point.

Let’s play them while they’re still trying to gel as a side.

Obviously it leaves us a bit short in the front three positions with Horgan, De Barr and Mehmeti out (although the latter may be suspended in any event).

However I’d still take the chance particularly if they think McCleary is going to be ok by then.

• I trust that Ainsworth will make the call that he thinks will benefit Wycombe the most.

• Does anyone know what the cut off is for calling a game off for internationals? Obviously after the latest squad is announced but is there a set number of days before? I seem to recall a game a while ago went quite close even though we assumed it would be off.
    Judging from GA’s post match presser last night where he said “the next game v Oxford” and then corrected himself suggests we have already decided to postpone the game to be full strength. Does Ipswich travelling on a Tuesday night give us more of a chance? I feel we’re always good against big teams at home on Saturdays.
    I guess if we have niggles and injuries that makes us under strength it’s a good decision but surely the flip side is the “build up of fixtures” I can almost here the post match interviews citing too many fixtures in and around the rearranged game.

• edited August 2021

Horgan will be a miss, Mehmeti doesn't start every game anyway (and could well be suspended by then anyway) and De Barr will be a sub at most. We have Hanlon now as well so we're not exactly short of numbers. Main thing might be how injured/well Stewart and McCleary are.

• Hanlon !! Why do I never read before posting !?

• All time classic !

• @HolmerBlue said:
    All time classic !

Which now looks horribly out of context because you corrected your original post ?

• Personally I would go ahead with it despite the absence of Horgan, De Barr & Mehmeti. Only one of them would normally start anyway, and we should have McCleary, Hanlon and Wheeler available, and could also release Kai Kai from his torture as a right wing back and play him where he's more effective.

Ipswich are unlikely to be 'still gelling' for long.

• edited August 2021

Paul Cook has literally said that they're "still in pre-season mode" - hardly reassuring if you're an Ipswich fan, more so for us... And it must be too late to get it called off now anyway? Does @glasshalffull know maybe?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    All time classic !

Which now looks horribly out of context because you corrected your original post ?

I didn't actually, someone must of done it for me... others are probably now wondering what on earth we are talking about

• For purely selfish reasons, having arranged tickets for friends who likely can’t do a Tuesday I’m hoping it goes ahead. I’m also buying the avoid congestion and have a go at Ipswich now argument. If we’d lost Vokes, McCleary and JJ to call up then postpone for sure but Horgan for me has not yet lived up to his promise, Mehmeti and De Barr are important but arguably not essential (yet).

I’d guess the thinking behind a last minute decision is to ensure as best we can that other players are available and if not we can play the international card.