Skip to content

BAYO STAYS!

2»

Comments

• 'Bayo, do you want one more season doing what you love, or would you rather spend the winter in VFWs explaining what wing-backs are?'

• I've got a mental image of Bayo handing around a tray of 'Ferrero Rocher'

• edited July 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    What is this obsession with 'club ambassador'? How many clubs at our level actually have that role?

It's a curious idea as aside from world famous teams with hundreds of millions of fans worldwide, who has them? And what would the role involve?
    Hanging about in America with a Wycombe shirt on?

Like someone said a page or two back, Bayo is his own brand. He'll have a guaranteed media career when he's done. But luckily he knows the playing days need to be treasured first and I for one welcome another season of him.

It may finally be the "impact " sub people predicted from day 1 and every season since, but who better for the role is there?

• Bayo and Gareth Ainsworth were on Sky Sports News being interviewed between 1.10 and 1.30pm today.

• Sounds like the kind of thing a club ambassador should be taking responsibility for.

• @Malone Sunderland have one (or at least they did), I'm sure you won't be surprised to know!

• From what I've heard, Darius spent most of last season with us just because he's great to have around.

• Have no doubt he'll be a brand ambassador at some point doing public appearances and scoring free stuff and promote whatever he's into or whoever pays him, he does that already.

By playing here he'll help our brand but no idea if he'd want to do that for us after he finishes playing, how effective that could be or if we'd be able to afford him.

Wether we'll try to sign other players too has already been answered as well.

Bayo signing is separate to either of those things anyway - you know Ainsworth thinks he has something to offer.

• For me, Bayo would make a terrific club ambassador, and if few other clubs have one, so much the better! If 'Sunderland Till I Die led to Hollywood stars buying Wrexham, meeting Bayo at an event could certainly lead to international fans buying iFollow!

Having said that, I wanted him to keep playing as of right now, so this is the best news possible!

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Bayo signing is separate to either of those things anyway - you know Ainsworth thinks he has something to offer.

Gareth also thought Josh Parker had something to offer. Which, other than conspiracy theories, I'm not sure was strictly true. Gareth is an exceptional manager but he doesn't get every decision right. We'll see at the end of this season whether offering Bayo a new playing contract worked out or not. I hope that, once again, Bayo proves me wrong and Gareth right.

• I'm not convinced he should've had another contract... but, having said that I totally get it, I think if there were crowds last season so we could've said a proper goodbye he might have finished. I've no problem with him getting a proper goodbye. But I still expect us to sign a couple of strikers permanent or on loan that will be main first choice players

• @Malone said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    Alexander Kinloch Samuel to give him his full name.
    In defence of @davecz, many people have written his surname as Samuels.

Yes. In his first season.
    To still be doing so now is either halfwitted, or intentionally on the wind up.

Steady @Malone you be following down the path of @drcongo who has to make a personal slight every time someone disagrees with him. I thought this was a grown up forum where we respect people’s views even if we disagree. We can all make personal comments but not sure it serves much purpose. Just to clarify it was a mistake in the spelling of Samuel.

• So much irony in this post.

• @aloysius said:

@StrongestTeam said:

Gareth also thought Josh Parker had something to offer. Which, other than conspiracy theories, I'm not sure was strictly true. Gareth is an exceptional manager but he doesn't get every decision right. We'll see at the end of this season whether offering Bayo a new playing contract worked out or not. I hope that, once again, Bayo proves me wrong and Gareth right.

I think the main difference is that Parker was unproven (for Wycombe). It is easier to know what Bayo offers, even if he has lost a step. I am not sure if it matters if he has, though - for me it is about the knee healing. I am remembering him jinking past those Bristol City defenders on one leg last season and thinking he is good to go!

• With Parker, Gaz also demonstrated the ‘Gareth Ruthlessness’ trope so prevalent in the media this morning. The England manager sub subbed Super Jackie G as a luxury player who wasn’t going to close the game down. Our manager kicked Barmy Josh out to Burton because he was talking weird s#!t and freakin’ out the dressing room.

• I hear there is a petition to make potentially Monday a national holiday. I am assuming this is to celebrate Bayo signing with us?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    What is this obsession with 'club ambassador'? How many clubs at our level actually have that role?

It saves people saying 'I think he's crap and he should never pull on a shirt again'

• Sad day for some on here. A moment's pause I think...

• @aloysius said:

@StrongestTeam said:

I don't think anyone is saying he's infallible, of course there's a risk signing someone not far off 40 for another year but we know how he conducts himself and my point was more that Gareth wants him as a player still rather than for any brand purposes. I think we'll all be staggered if the big man hits 15-20 goals next season rather than the odd winner but you never know...

• @aloysius said:

@StrongestTeam said:

…I hope that, once again, Bayo proves me wrong and Gareth right.

Sad to say but I’m not sure that you actually do…

• It should also be considered that there are probably quite a few young footballers out there who would love the option of learning their trade alongside the legend that is The Beast.

His signing on may just be the key to getting a Defoe type loanee for the year

• Bayo is very much a one-off. Immensely popular with the other players, one of Gaz’s generals on the field and off it, great for keeping our name in the media spotlight and even liked by many opposition fans. However, the most important thing is that he is still a very effective player, highly respected by opposing managers who go out of their way to nullify the threat he poses. If they aren’t enough good reasons to celebrate another season of The Beast, I don’t know what are.

• If you are not convinced about how important Bayo is when it comes to off the field Ian Holloway said he was the reason Eze came to us. That worked out ok

• Just been in a curiosity store in Plymouth and there was a signed piccie of the beast for sale - Wycombe Legend it said - only other teams with similar artifacts were premier league sides - no more little Wycome!

• Anyone still have any doubts about how good the news Bayo staying was. Against accomplished defenders last night he still causes chaos.

• Never in doubt!