Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adebayo Akinfenwa

I know it's been discussed in a previous thread but last night's reactions and interviews are perhaps the proudest I have ever been as a supporter. Such beautiful scenes. This season has been disheartening in so many ways, particularly with the officials, but the squad and management have stayed positive and taken responsibility.

Step forward Adebayo Akinfenwa, what a gentle giant of a man with his physical size no match for his personality. I couldn't be happier that he got his goal yesterday to further symbolise who I think is our greatest ever player and my personal favorite. There has been no individual player who has pushed us to bigger heights before and perhaps ever will. The celebrations from his teammates towards him nearly brought me to tears. Thank you again Mr. Adebayo Akinfenwa for another incredible moment.

I can't think of a single justifiable reason why he wouldn't be at our club for another season.

Β«13

Comments

  • @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    I know it's been discussed in a previous thread but last night's reactions and interviews are perhaps the proudest I have ever been as a supporter. Such beautiful scenes. This season has been disheartening in so many ways, particularly with the officials, but the squad and management have stayed positive and taken responsibility.

    Step forward Adebayo Akinfenwa, what a gentle giant of a man with his physical size no match for his personality. I couldn't be happier that he got his goal yesterday to further symbolise who I think is our greatest ever player and my personal favorite. There has been no individual player who has pushed us to bigger heights before and perhaps ever will. The celebrations from his teammates towards him nearly brought me to tears. Thank you again Mr. Adebayo Akinfenwa for another incredible moment.

    I can't think of a single justifiable reason why he wouldn't be at our club for another season.

    Totally agree with absolutely everything you say apart from your last sentence. Unfortunately and it happens to all players, his age and his body have finally caught up with him. He has made a massive contribution to our club but I feel his days as a player, even in League 1 , are over. Hopefully we can find a role perhaps as a club ambassador and mentor to younger players in the future. He has raised the profile of our club worldwide and it would be great if that continued.

  • I'm not sure football's the game for you mate.

  • @davecz said:

    Totally agree with absolutely everything you say apart from your last sentence. Unfortunately and it happens to all players, his age and his body have finally caught up with him. He has made a massive contribution to our club but I feel his days as a player, even in League 1 , are over. Hopefully we can find a role perhaps as a club ambassador and mentor to younger players in the future. He has raised the profile of our club worldwide and it would be great if that continued.

    Bayo still has plenty to offer on the pitch as well as off it. His game isn't based on any kind of pace so slowing down a bit is no big issue. His movement and footwork for his shot, which took a superb save to keep out, was sublime. He'll be a force to contend with next season should he choose to stay on.

  • Bayo will know when it’s time to retire and his contribution to the club has been so great that he should be allowed to make that decision himself. Who knows what a summer of rest could do for his dodgy knee? He has had an injury affected season and faced much higher quality defenders than he’s been used to in his career, so any judgment of his performances should take these factors into account.

  • He does a weekly podcast and most weeks he is complaining (seemingly jokingly but serious) about how his body isn't really up to it any more and he has thought about retirement a lot this season. So he may well choose that he is happy to retire having reached the peak of his career. I'd happily have him around next season but suspect it will be his decision whether or not that happens.

    So so pleased he got his goal. A couple more in the remaining games would be much appreciated...

  • I can see it now: Wycombe stay up and Bayo ends the season top scorer. Would it really be any more far-fetched than some of the stuff we've experienced in the last few years?

  • Worrying defenders when he came on, a great snap shot forcing a great save and taking the vital penalty, I'm pleased he pulled on our shirt last night @davecz

  • I'm sad that first game next season, I won't be able to cheer and applaud the full team that have done so much this term. Just the way it goes I know (blooming Covid!) but a shame nonetheless as they all deserve our appreciation. I hope Bayo decides to stick around for just one more go on the pitch, even if it is just occasional appearances. I'm quite sure he's a giant General in the dressing room even if he's not playing. Not unlike the old saying, "there's no B in TEAM" but I for one am glad BAYO's part of it.

  • @FmG said:
    He does a weekly podcast and most weeks he is complaining (seemingly jokingly but serious) about how his body isn't really up to it any more and he has thought about retirement a lot this season. So he may well choose that he is happy to retire having reached the peak of his career. I'd happily have him around next season but suspect it will be his decision whether or not that happens.

    So so pleased he got his goal. A couple more in the remaining games would be much appreciated...

    Might have been mentioned before but he did an interview with the GIANT podcast on Spotify a while back which is worth a listen

  • @glasshalffull said:
    Bayo will know when it’s time to retire and his contribution to the club has been so great that he should be allowed to make that decision himself. Who knows what a summer of rest could do for his dodgy knee? He has had an injury affected season and faced much higher quality defenders than he’s been used to in his career, so any judgment of his performances should take these factors into account.

    So using the same [email protected] , do you advocate letting Blooms decide when to retire? Decisions have to be made with the head , not the heart, when as you always remind us of ,our limited financial resources.

  • Give it a rest eh?

    Let people be happy.

  • @eric_plant said:
    Give it a rest eh?

    Let people be happy.

    I'm glad people are happy because so am I and immensely proud of the team. All I am raising is a issue that will have to be resolved before the start of next season. So No I won't give it a rest.

  • Let's not pick holes & fights on what should be a day of joy!

  • Can you imagine the furore from certain people if Bayo had missed?

  • I expect Blooms will hang his boots up at the end of the season and take on a role as a coach with us

  • By the same token, perhaps @davecz will take some time in the summer to take stock of his Gasroom appearances this season. I’d be keen to see him develop a Plan B to the usual approach of finding problems hidden in joyful experiences.

    I still think he has plenty to give to the Gasroom and will respect his decision, even if it’s retirement. But it is something that needs to be resolved before the scrutiny of Gareth β€˜failing to bring in new signings’ commences in mid-May.

  • There'll be no renewal contract offer for @davecz. He's had the chance this season to show us what he can do and I'm afraid we just haven't seen enough from him.

  • NBTWAG?

  • edited April 22

    Bayo done an interview with Give Me Sport:

    "I don't want to be a manager, I don't want to be a coach. I've given two decades to football. I'm 39 next month. I'm at the transitional stage.

    "Exclusive out here, I think I'm going to play on one more year. Then look, you know what, it's funny. We're talking to a couple of producers in LA, there's a couple of movie projects.

    "Then also, there are also talks with WWE. I reckon I'd be a good wrestler. I've always been able to live my life where nobody has put me in a box, so that's how it is, I'm excited for the future."

    The β€˜one more year’ comment - you have to feel he will be offered another year at Wycombe as opposed to elsewhere?

  • Lancslive report davecz lastest favourite for Preston job

  • If he wants another year with us (wherever we are) I would be quite happy even if he only played 15 minutes every other game.

  • @Gary said:
    Bayo done an interview with Give Me Sport:

    "I don't want to be a manager, I don't want to be a coach. I've given two decades to football. I'm 39 next month. I'm at the transitional stage.

    The β€˜one more year’ comment - you have to feel he will be offered another year at Wycombe

    I imagine @davecz will be apoplectic if this happens and we will get a torrent of Gareth doesn't know what he's doing posts on here!

  • @Wendoverman said:
    If he wants another year with us (wherever we are) I would be quite happy even if he only played 15 minutes every other game.

    Just bring him on when we get a penalty!

  • Even if he never played a single minute next season but was here I would be delighted as you can see the influence he has on players like Uche and how revered he is by younger players. If we are going to sign diamonds in the rough like Anis having Bayo in the dressing room to put an arm around them or to knock some edges of an attitude occasionally he will be worth every penny of a contract.
    It will certainly be a sad day when he leaves us for both parties.

  • Classic all jumping onto someone just because he has a different view

  • @HolmerBlue said:
    Classic all jumping onto someone just because he has a different view

    People react and post at different times and sometimes all at once. If someone posts a view that a lot of others disagree with do you get to decide who the ONE person who gets to react is @HolmerBlue ?

  • Classic someone moaning about someone moaning about someone moaning.

  • Oooh... someone's tired

  • @HolmerBlue said:
    Oooh... someone's tired

    I can understand that after last night...but when you've had a rest what's your answer to the question?

  • @HolmerBlue said:
    Classic all jumping onto someone just because he has a different view

    Would be a rather pointless forum if minority views could not be commented on.

Sign In or Register to comment.