Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol City

12346»

Comments

• Totally agree @prufrock_91 in the olden days when we culd watch live I was always impressed and he was a real handful when he came on last night. Also a battling Thompson, despite a few misplaced passes is not out of place in the Championship.

• Completely agree with Prufrock, Wheeler is an excellent player who rarely fails to achieve a 7-8 out of 10 rating whenever and wherever he plays.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Thank you for the inside view @glasshalffull, it shows how difficult it is to make proper judgments from the outside perspective. I will only add that GA never seems grumpy or disheartened (in the media) following a defeat, no-matter how it's come about. We are indeed very fortunate to have such a man as our manager.

Absolutely and I will give you the example of a manager we faced at a crucial stage last season who portrays himself as intelligent, articulate and fair minded in the media but is anything but in reality.

• "Do you want a fight? You shall not beat me in a fight because I am a great fighter. If you face me in a fight you will surely lose the fight because I will win the fight using my superior fighting skills"

• Another thing I noticed since calming down & getting over the euphoria, was the incredulity shown by Palmer & two City players arguing with the ref over the penalty decision. Sometimes slowing the action down can make me rethink, on this occasion it merely cemented the decision.

• Still not as obvious as the one we didn’t get against Swansea though...

• I can’t possibly imagine who that is @glasshalffull ?

• Just had a chat with a couple of my Derby supporting colleagues. They are in absolute panic mode about Rotherham, Wednesday and us.

General consensus is that they can’t see how they’ll get another win this season. Hopeless defensively and can’t score goals.

• @arnos_grove that's made MY morning if nothing else! Rotherham have quite a tough run-in even with games in hand don't they? If we can beat Cardiff it all gets very nailbiting! This weekend will be interesting.

• @Wendoverman they video called me mid-morning. “What are your lads up to”? “FFS, if you win Saturday and we don’t, we’re finished”.

This coming in particular from someone who told me five years ago he wouldn’t take my football views seriously as I’d not watched the game at a decent level!

He was right not to take my football views seriously mind. They are pretty rubbish.

• One ironic note about Nigel Pearson: he was the Carlisle manager for perhaps the most famous case of goalkeeper attacking heroics, when Jimmy Glass scored to keep them in the league with practically the last kick of the season!

• @arnos_grove said:
    Just had a chat with a couple of my Derby supporting colleagues. They are in absolute panic mode about Rotherham, Wednesday and us.

General consensus is that they can’t see how they’ll get another win this season. Hopeless defensively and can’t score goals.

This is true, but people forget we also need to finish above Rotherham and Wednesday! Wednesday at least are in good form and Rotherham have lots of games left. We have to beat 3 sides in the top 10, including the form team in the division to even have a chance.

• Now a taxi driver @Shev.

• Well what a win! Congratulations Bayo - in a season of first's, this is probably one of the most important ones that has been achieved. The sheer joy emanating from him in his interview brought a tear to the eye. The way the whole squad, management and non-playing staff celebrated was inspiring to see. Even though it was on TV, it felt very surreal and I could just imagine being there!

I thought he was a gimmick signing initially but he quickly disproved that and has gone on to be one of the most important players in our history. Sometimes it can be really pleasing when proven wrong!

Ainsworth and Dobbo deserve such a lot of credit yesterday, great substitutions, prepared to tweak the formation and instilling that never say die attitude.
    The change to 3-4-3 has been magnificent, I didn't think we'd ever go to a back three but it's really worked. Well done to both of them.

We can only now realistically stay up if we win all three remaining games.

If Derby win one game, we'd still need to turn around a 13 goal difference & win our 3 games and hope Sheff Weds and Rotherham get 6 points or less.

If Derby draw two games, we need to win all three and hope Sheff / Rotherham get 6 points or less.

If Derby lose all three, we could win 2 and draw 1 but this would then also require Sheff Wed to lose their other two games and Rotherham to get 4 points or less.

I would love to take it to game 46, wouldn't that be special! What a club!

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Should be highlighted how good Wheeler was when he came on too. Lovely pass to Mehmeti for the 1st assist, battled for headers, tackles and 50/50s across the pitch. He's played all over the place for us this season, all fairly faultlessly. We don't see the glamour-side of his game that Exeter got, because we don't play that way, but he should be regarded as one of our best.

Spot on! For the second goal, he also closed down a 50-50 despite being further away than the defender, nicking the ball and releasing Uche (who really should have passed back to Wheels, but thankfully it all worked out!). Wheeler is a model pro in a team full of them.

• @mooneyman said:
    Now a taxi driver @Shev.

I believe one of the comments Richard Keys made that got him sacked from Sky was about Jimmy Glass’s wife.

• I am no Carlisle fan (though the mere name makes a Wycombe fan smile for obvious reasons) but that moment is enough to give any neutral fan chills. Another sliding doors moment too, as Scarborough ended up going out of business - would that have happened had they not been relegated?

• I would love to take it to game 46, wouldn't that be special! What a club!

Christ on a bike I couldn’t cope with that.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

I would love to take it to game 46, wouldn't that be special! What a club!

Christ on a bike I couldn’t cope with that.

My heart rate rose unhealthily just thinking about the possibility. Trying not to think about GA and the players running around like maniacs at the full time whistle at the Riverside.

• edited April 2021

@Wendoverman said:

Ive never considered Mick McCarthy to be that good either so hopefully another team with nowt to play for on saturday?

McCarthy paid us the ultimate compliment, he was at AP to watch the game last night.

• @JohnBoy said:

@arnos_grove said:
    Just had a chat with a couple of my Derby supporting colleagues. They are in absolute panic mode about Rotherham, Wednesday and us.

This is true, but people forget we also need to finish above Rotherham and Wednesday! Wednesday at least are in good form and Rotherham have lots of games left. We have to beat 3 sides in the top 10, including the form team in the division to even have a chance.

It is set up for glorious failure, we all know that.
    But it's better than simply failure, which looked exceptionally likely for most of the season.

• I was already proud of our performance across this season but whatever happens now, after the last few weeks, I will stand ten feet tall with pride in the knowledge we went down fighting and with the best team spirit in the league.

• @Malone said:

@JohnBoy said:

@arnos_grove said:

It is set up for glorious failure, we all know that.
    But it's better than simply failure, which looked exceptionally likely for most of the season.

Spot on.