Skip to content

Match day thread: Barnsley

Comments

• @drcongo said:
    Amazing that the linesman could see that so clearly but couldn’t see Horgan getting assaulted right in front of him.

I assume that’s what Gareth was pointing out.

• I think I must have different replays on my ifollow

If that was against us and not given the email to the FA would already have been drafted and we'd have recalculated the table to give ourselves an extra few points

• Looked at the replays expecting to see Tafazolli tugging the player back, but nope, barely a brush.
    Very cute from the attacker to give the impression of one though.

• @micra said:

@prufrock_91 said:
    I dont know what McCleary does for us.

I think, purely on today’s evidence, not a lot.

With the important proviso that service to him has not been great. But, again, Horgan has covered far more ground especially in midfield. Neither has distinguished himself when furthest forward.

• We've been out-cheated, not outplayed

• @eric_plant said:
    I think I must have different replays on my ifollow

If that was against us and not given the email to the FA would already have been drafted and we'd have recalculated the table to give ourselves an extra few points

Like DevC, you’ve become a parody of yourself. Sad to see.

• @eric_plant said:

Poor wind up attempt

• To think some people say our "style" can't succeed at this level.
    Barnsley are like a hard core version of us and right up there!

• If you can't see Tafazolli grab the bloke's hand as he gets away from him, however briefly, there's not much I can say

But I'm not seeing things, it definitely happened. And that, I'm afraid, is a penalty

• @HolmerBlue said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Bizarrely there was I thinking Mcleary was playing really well. I think he's scored more than Horgan hasnt he?

Oh he's scored a goal, sorry he must be better then.

Never a penalty

Sorry to upset you so much @HolmerBlue I just thought he was having a good game

• @DJWYC14 said:

@eric_plant said:

Poor wind up attempt

Getting very "Dev" with his opposite views these days.

• If the penalty was given for a shirt grab by Taffazoli why didn't he complain?
    Knight seemed to be the one complaining so was it given against him? For handball?
    Either way I couldn't see a foul and I've looked several times.
    It's astonishing some of the decisions given against us ...

• At least Eric is a bit quicker with the copy and paste of his post about every decision given against us ever. Got to give him that.

• Time for referees to have to justify their fee. Never a penalty in a million years.

• Taf definitely went to grab him. Not sure there was enough contact for him to be impeded or for a penalty to be given. Lino has been useless. Can't see a jumping knee in the back off the ball right in front of him, but somehow sees that one with the attackers body in his line of sight. Baffling. Thompson also should have won a penalty.

• Just as a point of reference, the tug on Taff’s jersey at the start of the highlights there was much worse.

• Exactly, if you see that as sufficient contact for a penalty you'll be giving at least 10-15 a game

• Never a pen.

• They Just showed it another 3 times, and certainly never a pen.
    Again I have to applaud the striker for managing to engineer a pen out of that.

No-one thought the biggest step up in quality in this league would be the gamesmanship!

• @Wendoverman said:

@HolmerBlue said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Bizarrely there was I thinking Mcleary was playing really well. I think he's scored more than Horgan hasnt he?

Never a penalty

Ok to be clear, I dont think he's a bad player, though I do think he's gone off the boil a bit this last month, and surprised that maybe Fred hasnt been given a go instead. My main point I was trying to make is, that people are constantly griping about Horgan, but for me he does twice the amount of work McCleary does.

• Sorry to say it, but on third viewing I think that's a penalty. Soft, and unnecessary.

I also think Thompson should have had one given earlier in the half though.

• Got a feeling things could get heated here.

I'm incensed so can only imagine how fired up we will be here

• Sounding like the pointless Sky discussions about wether there was contact. Taf didn't pull anyone down even if he did touch him.

• The amazing thing is, for anyone to think that Taff actually brought him down there, they’d also have to believe that arms are not jointed at the shoulder.

• That penalty didn't pass my supermarket test. Awful decision but the real mystery is how the lino had so much to say about it. Firstly he couldn't have possibly seen what the ref thought he saw and secondly he's seen absolutely nothing else all half.

The challenge on Horgan was horrible and dangerous. The push on Knight as he was off the ground was a deliberate attempt to injure the player. Did the lino have any opinion on them.

It really is a big advantage to be able to fall over well in this league. Their number 21 is excellent and would be a nightmare to walk past near the deli counter

• Just watched it about ten times

It is 100% a penalty

Tafazolli grabs the bloke's arm with both hands and still has hold of him with one as he tries to get away

• YEah, I think it's a penalty, having watched in slow mo.
    https://imgur.com/a/wz2H5Zm

• If the ref has no doubt whatsoever that was a penalty to Barnsley, then Thompson's shout earlier in the game was an absolute stonewall penalty. That combined with allowing the assault on Horgan by Sollbauer slyly leaving
    a knee in his back go unpunished makes for a terrible half for the ref. There was very little between the teams before the ref decided he had to make the difference in the game.
    I expect Ainsworth will use the injustices in his half-time team talk to fire the lads up just that bit more than he could have done if they hadn't been on the receiving end of such a stinker from the ref.

• The Barnsley player has his arm outstretched in an unnatural position trying to hold Tafazolli off. Tafazolli pulls his arm away and the guy then falls over. It’s not a penalty.
    If we’re awarding penalties for that there would be one every time a corner is put in the box.

• edited March 2021

@HolmerBlue said:

@Wendoverman said:

@HolmerBlue said:

@Wendoverman said:

Never a penalty

Ok to be clear, I dont think he's a bad player, though I do think he's gone off the boil a bit this last month, and surprised that maybe Fred hasnt been given a go instead. My main point I was trying to make is, that people are constantly griping about Horgan, but for me he does twice the amount of work McCleary does.

I think there's a few things going on here.
    Expectations for one thing. Horgan we had huge expectations of, McCleary less so, and Mehmeti zero.
    Therefore if Mehmeti has a totally anonymous game (like tonight?) we don't really mention it in the same way as we do for Horgan, and increasingly McCleary.

Also, McCleary had a superb start to his time here, and has not unreasonably dropped a few gears. Adeniran is another that went that way, but from excellent, to barely getting off the bench.