Skip to content

Match day thread: QPR

Comments

• Nothing wrong with the tactics or line up tonight. I thought GA got it spot on. What was infuriating was our inability to make the most of the many good positions we got ourselves into. The delivery from Horgan, JJ, Gape, McCarthy, Muskwe (some on multiple occasions) was awful tonight.

• Some of the diving tonight was absolutely awful.

We really need to cut that out straight away. It's embarrassing and infuriating and we shouldn't be doing it

• I actually still like the lineup - Samuel warranted his chance, and I think we often looked really good up to the critical point of the final ball. It was really the execution at the vital moment.

• One major plus point for tonight was the link up between Samuel and Mehmeti. Several times Samuel held it up and played it quickly and simply into Mehmeti. Uche for all the good he does frequently ignores Mehmeti (and others) and attempts to go alone.

• @HCblue said:
    I somewhat disagree about the rotation complaints. I imagine there are some very tired legs among those who have played a lot recently, with no reward, and a lot of players keen to get game time. I thought tonight's line-up was capable of getting a win. It just didn't, for the familiar reasons enumerated above. In other words, it was the performance rather than the personnel.

I agree with this. When you haven’t won in living memory, I don’t see the problem with letting someone else have a go.

• @Shev said:
    I actually still like the lineup - Samuel warranted his chance, and I think we often looked really good up to the critical point of the final ball. It was really the execution at the vital moment.

Samuel unfortunately is not up to the Championship standard. He does not look like scoring. Let’s be honest he didn’t look like scoring in League 1.Sorry he doesn’t warrant his chance.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    I don't blame GA. Our players are not good enough and he is out of ideas.

What I fail to understand is that Rotherham - not a particularly good side - or not stretches above us, are giving it a better go than we are.

Why?

I think the Rotherham example shows we are actually closer to being a mid table side than many think. QPR were no better than us tonight but they took the key chance. A bit more experience and a little bit more quality next time we are in ttmhe Championship and we'll be doing what Rotherham are doing.
    Remember they were in our position now a couple of seasons ago.

• @davecz said:

Samuel unfortunately is not up to the Championship standard. He does not look like scoring. Let’s be honest he didn’t look like scoring in League 1.Sorry he doesn’t warrant his chance.

I know you're not keen on Samuel, but he was our second best player tonight. Worked hard, won balls, delivered decent crosses.

• Not only that, but it is a bit ironic to say he does not warrant a chance because he does not look like scoring, when we have not scored in four games!

• @davecz said:

@Shev said:
    I actually still like the lineup - Samuel warranted his chance, and I think we often looked really good up to the critical point of the final ball. It was really the execution at the vital moment.

I am going to say this because I think it needs to be said. Samuel offers more to the team dynamic than Uche. I might not have that magic moment in him but he leads the line and brings others in the game. Tonight our full backs were able to get further up the pitch because Samuel held the ball up.
    Uche might be a more exciting player for some but he's hardly banging the goals in.

The only thing that links them together for me is that both dive way to much. As is my want for midweek games I watch with no sound. For some reason it really emphasises the diving and tonight we fell on the floor an awful lot

• @drcongo said:

@HCblue said:
    I somewhat disagree about the rotation complaints. I imagine there are some very tired legs among those who have played a lot recently, with no reward, and a lot of players keen to get game time. I thought tonight's line-up was capable of getting a win. It just didn't, for the familiar reasons enumerated above. In other words, it was the performance rather than the personnel.

I agree with this. When you haven’t won in living memory, I don’t see the problem with letting someone else have a go.

The line-up worked better than I expected in creating opportunities to get on the ball in decent positions. And then players in the main failed to do anything truly productive with the ball. The biggest difference I see from league 1 to championship is the ability to play a quick accurate pass (short or long) and to receive the same with the ability to have it almost immediately under control and be ready to run, pass, shoot or clear it. The fractions of a second longer to do those things cost us dear, as does the ball arriving near a player as opposed to at a player. Or at our worst, the ball arriving nowhere near a player. I’m never sure if we have some great ball deliverers who expect the recipient to be somewhere else or we have players who lack consistent accuracy in getting a ball where they want it to be.

It is the ability to both move (not necessarily fast in straight line but quick feet and rapid shifts of balance) and think at speed that is so valuable. And often makes it look so easy. Young Mr Eze being a case in point.

• @arnos_grove said:

@davecz said:

I know you're not keen on Samuel, but he was our second best player tonight. Worked hard, won balls, delivered decent crosses.

I like my forwards to score goals or at least look they might score. Working hard is a basic requirement .

• @Shev said:
    Not only that, but it is a bit ironic to say he does not warrant a chance because he does not look like scoring, when we have not scored in four games!

I know we have not scored in 4 but is Samuel the answer. No.

• @davecz said:

@Shev said:
    Not only that, but it is a bit ironic to say he does not warrant a chance because he does not look like scoring, when we have not scored in four games!

He played well tonight though didn’t he?

• @floyd said:

@davecz said:

@Shev said:

He played well tonight though didn’t he?

Did he look like scoring? Did he create chances for other people? You cannot fault his hard work and commitment but that’s not good enough at this level.

• We’ve missed Alex’s hold-up play, certainly and I agree with @arnos_grove that he was our second best player this evening.

• @Right_in_the_Middle absolutely spot on regarding Samuel and Uche. We got players in great positions tonight on countless occasions because of Samuel's hold up play. We need to get Mehmeti on the ball as much as possible and the link up between him and Samuel was the one real plus from tonight.

We were half way to a good performance, what let us down was the repeatedly awful final delivery. Samuel certainly did his job and actually was the one player who did put in some good crosses.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@thecatwwfc said:
    I don't blame GA. Our players are not good enough and he is out of ideas.

What I fail to understand is that Rotherham - not a particularly good side - or not stretches above us, are giving it a better go than we are.

Why?

I think the Rotherham example shows we are actually closer to being a mid table side than many think. QPR were no better than us tonight but they took the key chance. A bit more experience and a little bit more quality next time we are in ttmhe Championship and we'll be doing what Rotherham are doing.
    Remember they were in our position now a couple of seasons ago.

Rotherham may be giving it a better go than we are but they’re still in the bottom three and if we’d beaten them at Adams Park (as we should have done) and had the rub of the green in a couple of those games where seemingly wrong decisions were made, we would be above them. So I’m not sure they’re particularly good role models.

• @Doober48 said:
    Just to save everybody ten pounds this is what's going to happen
    1.We will bust a gut to win the game
    2.The ref will give us bugger all and either disallow a perfectly good goal or a cast iron pen
    3,the beast will not score
    4.The defence will go to sleep a couple of times and we concede at least one silly goal.
    5,awe will lose again but we won't be giving up even though we are 15 points from safety
    Your welcome

Are you a time traveller? Pretty spot on except the 15 point thing - with this being a game in hand and Birmingham not playing, that could never have happened.

• @davecz no-one scored tonight, or in the previous few games. Who should play up front next game? Sean Devine?

• I found arguing with the Piers Morgan of the match thread once he has identified his victim a pointless exercise.

• @davecz said:
    Did he create chances for other people?

Yes.

• @Rolo said:

@Doober48 said:
    Just to save everybody ten pounds this is what's going to happen
    1.We will bust a gut to win the game
    2.The ref will give us bugger all and either disallow a perfectly good goal or a cast iron pen
    3,the beast will not score
    4.The defence will go to sleep a couple of times and we concede at least one silly goal.
    5,awe will lose again but we won't be giving up even though we are 15 points from safety
    Your welcome

Are you a time traveller? Pretty spot on except the 15 point thing - with this being a game in hand and Birmingham not playing, that could never have happened.

"cast iron pen"? really?

• My last comments on this thread as it's a bit depressing as we seem to have gone backwards again.

Crossing... woeful, drives me mad that professional players how train with a ball all week cannot cross it !!

Diving... disgraceful and embarrassing ! Hope we dont start going down this route on top of the hoof ball, we'll barely be watchable.

See you all Saturday.

• That game reminded me of the first seven games of the season we lost when we didn't have Uche or Bayo. Those initial losses gave us a huge handicap to overcome. Without a target man we are totally ineffective.

I agree however that Samuel put in a good shift, but he is never going to score at this level

• But is Uche a target man ?? Wins very little in the air, does not hold up the ball well, not great at laying it off, and bringing others into the game.
    Uche is a big centre forward, good at turning his man and drawing the foul, and getting a shot away. But very selfish.

• Perhaps a better description is having a physical presence. Without Uche or Bayo we get easily bullied by defenders.

It could be argued that the best strikers are selfish. Vardy and Salah spring to mind and for us back in the day, Sean Devine.

• Uche is far from the finished article but he has bags of talent and on his day will be unstoppable. The more experienced he gets and the more he learns the more often those days will come.

He can become an absolute legend at Wycombe, my main concern is that another club will spot his obvious talent and take him off our hands.

If he stays, and I really hope he does, he is going to be an absolute star for us over the next few seasons.

• @mooneyman said:
    Perhaps a better description is having a physical presence. Without Uche or Bayo we get easily bullied by defenders.

It could be argued that the best strikers are selfish. Vardy and Salah spring to mind and for us back in the day, Sean Devine.

I agree strikers should be selfish. Mark West had one thing in his mind when he was in the penalty area.
    Uche and Bayo do not get bullied but neither do they particularly bully other defenders in the champ. I have not seen many ruffled by Bayo at all this season whilst Uche makes them stand off a bit as he’s likely to draw a foul through his diving.
    All our strikers are guilty of a lack of goals and as said before finding one who operates at this level and brings 15+ In the champ is gold dust (Toney/Taylor/Pukki/Armstrong)