Skip to content

Match day thread: Stoke

Comments

• Let's stop this Bobby C rubbish right now.

Bobby C will always be Bobby Crush and it is sacrilege to say otherwise.

I am also a bit worried we've gone a bit Beetlejuice and opened up @DevC for an other Ainsworth leaving/where are we expected to finish discussion.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    Wasn’t Bobby C in Bucks Fizz

It was Bobby G in Bucks Fizz, but they did sing
    "If you cant stand the heat", that's something I wouldnt be suprised to see Bobby C say !!

• First reference to Bucks Fizz since the Cheryl/Ma/Ian Baker golden era of the old gasroom

• Given the Chairman’s age and nationality he’s probably more Bobby Vee.

• @peterparrotface said:
    First reference to Bucks Fizz since the Cheryl/Ma/Ian Baker golden era of the old gasroom

Cheryl Baker, real name Rita Crudgington
    Bobby G was actually Robert Gubby
    That takes a bit of sparkle off the skirt ripping starlets.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Given the Chairman’s age and nationality he’s probably more Bobby Vee.

Then no doubt we shall, like a Rubber Ball, be bouncing back next year...

• There is only one Bobby C and he's got a World Cup winner's medal.

• If GA's job were to come into jeopardy for missing out on the "minimum requirement" of the playoffs, it would be a cutting off nose to spit face scenario. Irrespective of whether we challenge for promotion or not, GA has built a brilliant culture over many years, and we have a long term plan that surely relies somewhat on that culture to keep punching above our weight (which to me is L2 no matter what people say). I am hoping RC has the bigger picture in view, and if we finish 10th-12th next season but continue to develop the B team and other areas of the club, he would not get an itchy trigger finger.

• Thanks for the vid clip @drcongo. Didn’t realise I was so common. And the odds against what happened this morning clearly aren’t stacked that high!

• @ChasHarps said:

Cheryl Baker, real name Rita Crudgington
    Bobby G was actually Robert Gubby
    That takes a bit of sparkle off the skirt ripping starlets.

And by chance today is Rita Crudgington’s 67th birthday.

• At odds of 364/1 that’s about the same as us staying up, well actually rather shorter.

• Even shorter than ‘the skirt ripping antics’

• @drcongo So was it the stepdad's baby?

• While we’re on a Bucks Fizz diversion, this documentary remains one of the funniest things I’ve ever watched.

• Ooh, I’ve not seen that in years. Nice one!

• @Brownie said:
    Matt Cecil did make a comment about 10 minutes ago about Mehmeti continuing his development on the pitch for us "into next season and beyond" - a man who is likely to know more than we do.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this yet, but the transfermarkt site shows Mehmeti's contract as having a mutual player/club option for a year, which I assume means we can simply exercise the option on our side to keep him for at least one more season.

That being said, we must do everything in our power to lock him down on a three year deal.

• @Shev said:
    If GA's job were to come into jeopardy for missing out on the "minimum requirement" of the playoffs, it would be a cutting off nose to spit face scenario. Irrespective of whether we challenge for promotion or not, GA has built a brilliant culture over many years, and we have a long term plan that surely relies somewhat on that culture to keep punching above our weight (which to me is L2 no matter what people say). I am hoping RC has the bigger picture in view, and if we finish 10th-12th next season but continue to develop the B team and other areas of the club, he would not get an itchy trigger finger.

Curious as to why you think L2 is our level?

• @Vincey - purely based on fan base, average crowds etc. Not a knock on the brilliance of the club in general! There is an argument for lower L1 too, seeing as the club has spent slightly more than half of it's league years there. So maybe anywhere from lower third of L1 to top half of L2.

• edited March 2021

@Vincey - interestingly, I looked up the average finishing position for Wycombe since joining the league, and up to last season it was 68.38, which is almost exactly halfway between 24th in L1 and 1st in L2! So maybe I was a bit harsh saying definitely L2, especially as last season takes the average finish to 67.59 (halfway between 23rd and 24th in L1) and even coming 24th this season would bring that average to 66.72, which is between 22nd and 23rd in L1.

So based on that, our true level is relegation zone of L1, on a sample size of 28 years.

Either way, my point was not to disrespect the club, but to point out that GA has us punching above our weight, and if you take that literal average of relegation zone L1 as our equilibrium, we have overachieved three seasons running.

This is obviously not very scientific, as circumstances change for clubs, and the game around us has been changing too. How much money ownership has is very relevant. For instance, the trust owned years would have had an average finishing position in L2, and the lack of funds made that promotion to L1 more of an achievement than it might be if, say, we went down to L2 with the Couhigs and came back up.

• Like it @shev.
    League "whatever anyone says" and then you argue against yourself a post or two later.
    Made me chuckle.

• Ahem...lost a 2 in that.

• Friend of mine has always suggested that our level is League One and a Half

• @Shev So the Trust owned years mainly in Division 4 meant that the average had to be boosted by the private ownership years of the '90s and the unalloyed Division 3 successes of the Hayes era. Oh, hang on ...

• Interesting thoughts on the club natural position @Shev . As someone who has supported the club since Isthmian League days I make my cut off before joining the Football League as you have. This probably scews the stats but more importantly my view on how we are currently doing.
    The Couhigs have only seen top of League One and Championship so their view is based on that and recent statements they confirm where they see the club.
    Unfortunately financial clout gives a natural level for many but hopefully this season has given us a good break against others. All of this is of course pointless as if we did all genuinely believe in a natural level the sport each week is predictable

• Our level is wherever we happen to be at that given time.

At the moment we're a Championship side.

• Whatever side we put out tonight we’re still a Championship club.

• @micra said:
    Whatever side we put out tonight we’re still a Championship club.

Agreed. It's all about where you are now

• And whatever happens this season, we'll finish above Peterborough, Sunderland, Ipswich, Oxford and Plymouth in the league, which makes us a naturally bigger club.

• Looks like a good chance well be playing most of them again next term...be nice if Peterborough bottle it at the end of the season too.

• @eric_plant said:
    Our level is wherever we happen to be at that given time.

At the moment we're a Championship side.

Agreed.