Skip to content

Match day thread: Stoke

Comments

• Going somewhat for the reverse jinx here but can’t see us scoring one let alone two at the moment.

• Love this ref.

• @micra said:

Love this ref.

Yes.

• Story of this season so far. A few promising spells, riding our luck a fair few times, then a goal of quality out of nowhere.

• All over.

• @Malone said:
    Story of this season so far. A few promising spells, riding our luck a fair few times, then a goal of quality out of nowhere.

No quality in the second goal sadly. A basic set piece that wasn't defended.

• Not sure who Tafa was throwing his arms out with a shrug at there.

But that Soutar is a bloody giant.

• Interesting to see Mehmeti playing from deep just then.

• We were doing so well playing 4-5-1 today and over the last few games. Why have we switched to two up front the full backs are exposed again and Knight has too much ground to cover. within ten minutes of the switch we concede two goals and look all at sea.
    Commentators curse please!

• @Malone said:
    Not sure who Tafa was throwing his arms out with a shrug at there.

But that Soutar is a bloody giant.

The same giant we totally dominated in the summer in the play offs.

Funny how many problems Samuel gave him in those two games.

• Three observations for me today:

1) Time wasting when we aren’t winning games is a ridiculous strategy. At best it’s a very negative and passive approach, at worst it seems to make us lethargic.

2) Whether it’s bad luck or poor positioning, we really don’t win many second balls, which often turns attacking phases into defensive chasing.

3) Whilst no one shone today, McLeary I think has unfortunately really faded over the last month or so. I think other players would impact the game more from the start. Possibly he’s struggling due to his lack of pre season.

• @Commoner said:
    We were doing so well playing 4-5-1 today and over the last few games. Why have we switched to two up front the full backs are exposed again and Knight has too much ground to cover. within ten minutes of the switch we concede two goals and look all at sea.

We’ve played with two up front all game.

• Obligatory commentator’s reference to that decent 15 game spell a few years back for Kashet and Akinfenwa in L2

• ‘Decent’

• Maybe, if Mehmeti didn’t dive so dramatically, he gets something Heather’s. Great dribble though.

• @jessvl1 said:
    Obligatory commentator’s reference to that decent 15 game spell a few years back for Kashet and Akinfenwa in L2

Fine issued by Rob Couhig for talking about our history.

• @Chris said:

@Commoner said:
    We were doing so well playing 4-5-1 today and over the last few games. Why have we switched to two up front the full backs are exposed again and Knight has too much ground to cover. within ten minutes of the switch we concede two goals and look all at sea.

We’ve played with two up front all game.

No we haven’t!

Muskwe was wide right first half and Wheeler through the middle. Second half Muskwe has gone up top and we’ve switched to 4-1-3-2 with Wheeler on the right of the three.

• @Chris said:
    ‘Decent’

Yeah poor choice of words from me, clearly it was brilliant

• Muskwe spent all game up front.

• I really hope we can keep hold of Mehmeti for the next few years. Very excited to see him progress.

He's been our best player by a mile today

• Mehmeti’s footwork has been fantastic today. Hope to see it in the flesh next season.

• @Chris said:
    Muskwe spent all game up front

Assume you missed the first half then!

• Mehmeti has to be offered a long deal. He’s one of few rays of joy from this tough season. Players who can unlock defences just don’t come along that often and other clubs will be scouting him for sure

• Alicia has been a supreme antidote to the Pain of Wednesday evening.

• The flatness of today’s game has probably made me cynical, but I do genuinely worry about the prospect of us losing Mehmeti. If I was his agent I’d be backing him to get picked up by a championship club next season, although admittedly we might be able to still get him on loan in that scenario.

• @Commoner said:

@Chris said:
    Muskwe spent all game up front

Assume you missed the first half then!

Likewise!

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Mehmeti has to be offered a long deal. He’s one of few rays of joy from this tough season. Players who can unlock defences just don’t come along that often and other clubs will be scouting him for sure

Our willingness to offer the deal won’t be the stumbling block

• For all we keep getting told "You know what you get with Wycombe" our forwards seem to have no idea where any cross or through ball is headed

• Matt Cecil did make a comment about 10 minutes ago about Mehmeti continuing his development on the pitch for us "into next season and beyond" - a man who is likely to know more than we do.

• Maybe Wycombe don’t know what they’re going to get with Wycombe.