Skip to content

Match day thread: Huddersfield

15678911»

Comments

• edited February 2021

I can't sleep. Still buzzing!!
    Echoing what others are saying above, it's well worth a visit to the Huddersfield forum. I just lost an hour or so scrolling through from just before k.o, the highs and lows of the game and the afterthoughts. Great entertainment ?
    So nice to read tales of woe when it's not your team that is the one that's come away from a game with sod all ????

• @Chris said:
    Just to reiterate, this is Wycombe we are talking about. The worst team in the league. Absolute trash. Town have a home game against them and people are shitting themselves. Anything less than a win is going to be a huge embarrassment. I predict a victory, a small one at that, otherwise Town will be a laughing stock.

I didn’t see that one, calling anyone “absolute trash” is crossing the line, I’m glad he feels a laughing stock and he’ll feel suitably humbled as he has his cheerios this morning (which I hope are stale)

• @MorrisItal_ said:

I didn’t see that one, calling anyone “absolute trash” is crossing the line, I’m glad he feels a laughing stock and he’ll feel suitably humbled as he has his cheerios this morning (which I hope are stale)

Cheerios,,, In Uddersfield? I thought they all had Tripe and milk for breakfast.

• @HomerLone said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

Cheerios,,, In Uddersfield? I thought they all had Tripe and milk for breakfast.

My father, although born in wales when his parents moved there for a few months, was raised in Huddersfield. He had a fondness for tripe and onions.

• I also had a read through their thoroughly entertaining match day thread on their forum. Plenty of content for this weeks RTB opposition view!

• Some great individual performances yesterday, but I am more than ever convinced that Uche is the key to the rest of our season. If only he had been fit throughout I believe things would have been very different.

• For me what yesterday showed was, if you push some poor individual performances, tactical mistakes and debatable officiating aside, recruitment in summer was not poor and we do have the players to compete at this level. Perhaps the players and some of the vocal anti Ainsworthers will believe it after a great game like that!

• @glasshalffull said:
    Some great individual performances yesterday, but I am more than ever convinced that Uche is the key to the rest of our season. If only he had been fit throughout I believe things would have been very different.

Totally agree ( slightly worryingly ?). Also Taff being fit . Always fancied Knight doing a great job in midfield.

• generally, I see Wanderers pretty positively compared to the majority here and on the terraces (remember those?). But reading the post-match assessments, it feels like we are all too readily overlooking the absolutely shocking defending in the first half in favour of the excellent attacking in the second. The goals we conceded were absolutely awful.

For the first, it was interesting to hear Pete Couhig on the commentarty reciting the new family mantra of "play through the whistle" after 3 of the back four were standing arms aloft watching Bacuna head in, and that after Jacobson had misjudged the ball at the backpost so lamely. For the second, Grimmer gave Mbenza so much space and Rocky will surely feel he could have done better.

And that second was after Knight had lost Holmes to allow him a clear sight of goal. Mercifully, he fluffed it.

I understand the "lack of generals" concern, particularly after the Brentford game, but I thought Jacobson generally looked off the pace and out of touch. If he's fit for Tuesdsay, there will be an interesting selection decision. And on the other side, there ought to be a question about whether Grimmer merits a place ahead of McCarthy. I'd go further and suggest that both Stewart and Tafazzoli ought to feel that Knight is pressuring them for their place, given that Thompson and Ofoborh are waiting in the wings to play in midfield.

Clearly, the management team won't want to make wholesale changes to the back four, but all the members of that back four should know that they weren't good enough yesterday and that conceding two soft goals against just about any other Championship team will see us out of the game.

• Don't disagree about the goals @our_frank but the back four are all good players...first time for ages they have all been on the pitch together. And JJ's delivery reminded us how we have missed him yesterday.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Gosh, I sooooo miss Vital and the Opposition view.?

Same

I’m sure @Vital will have supplied @bluntphil some material for tomorrow’s Ringing The Blues podcast.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Some great individual performances yesterday, but I am more than ever convinced that Uche is the key to the rest of our season. If only he had been fit throughout I believe things would have been very different.

The problem is we don't have a player to replace him if he does get injured. Much as I know you're a fan of Samuel this is a league too far for him to lead the line. Bayo is a man for cameos now, that much is clear from Sheffield Wednesday. It was interesting to read that Gareth was interested in bringing in Joe Pigott in Jan. If true it would have given us two great options in leading the line, and a combination in a 442 that could have been lethal. The key summer replacement, whatever league we find ourselves in, will be Bayo (and Allsop if he goes, which I suspect he will given he hasn't signed a contract extension that must have been offered).