Skip to content

What as happened to Gape?

2»

Comments

• My main argument against VAR was always how it ruined the game for those in attendance, but it's still absolutely terrible when there are no fans in the ground

Time for this farcical experiment to get in the bin and be consigned forever to the scrapheap of history

• In common with most people, I am not a fan of VAR but it’s interesting to speculate how many more points we might have gained if it had been in use in the Championship this season.

• We should have had one more than we got v Norwich (although I don't know if it's within VAR's remit to check free kick decisions)

I think Alex Samuel's goal v Watford would have been allowed so that's 2 more.

Both those were towards the end of those games so they're pretty easy.

We should have had a penalty v QPR but you'd never know how the game would have panned out afterwards, similarly Tuesday night's incident.

You'd have to be deluded to believe that the Brentford penalty altered the overall outcome of that match.

And of course, none of us has taken any notice of any that might have gone against us upon review.

In summary, I think we'd still be bottom. But it's a pointless road to go down anyway. Few, if any of us ever talk about the penalty Fleetwood should have been awarded for Anthony Stewart's handball at Adams Park in the play off semi final 2nd leg. They were well on top at that stage and there was plenty of time left on the clock.

And we got promoted a few years ago thanks partly to a "goal" from Gareth Ainsworth that didn't even come close to crossing the line against our nearest challengers for the last promotion spot. Forgive me if I'm mistaken but I don't recall you bringing that up on the Gasroom with quite such regularity.

• I said it would be interesting to speculate which is what you have done. Other people might speculate differently.
    Personally, I believe that we have been hard done by when it comes to refereeing decisions this season and I’ll leave you to delve into misdemeanours that we might have benefited from in the past.

• Good post @eric_plant and embarrasses me slightly in the context of a recent post of mine where I suggested that, but for certain referees’ decisions, illnesses and injuries to key players, we might well have had 25 points by now.

• Some questionable offsides I remember early on as well. But rather not have VAR

• @micra I shall be trying to fact-check and maintain the proper perspective and a degree of neutrality before posting in future that's for sure.

• Seem to remember Quest doing a montage of ‘greatest injustice hits’ after 6 or 7 games and there were I think 4 dubious decisions in there, most late in the game.

Certainly we didn’t (and haven’t) benefit from generous refereeing this season