Skip to content

What as happened to Gape?

Is he injured?
Does he have the virus?
As he been sold without us knowing?

Comments

• Add to that Adeniran

• Gape is returning from injury. Warmed up with the team on Saturday but didn't see if he travelled last night.
    Adeniran is a mystery to me too

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Is he injured?
    Does he have the virus?
    As he been sold without us knowing?

Erm...coming back from the first one...obviously not the third.

• Definitely as not been sold.

Of that i as certainty.

• I wonder if we'll ever find out the effect Covid has had on our squad (and others to be fair).

Seems to get ignored by so many angry when player X dissapears from the squad or is an unknown substitute.

Also I am wondering about the sapping nature ofthis pandemic on everyone. Travelling to training and matches in the knowledge you are at greater risk of getting this horrible illness must weigh on the minds in some degree or another.

• Well I heard he has hid down one of the deep nuclear underground bunkers at either Naphill or the old USAF base off Dawes Hill Lane. He isnt surfacing again until the pandemic is officially declared as over! ?

• Gape's sending off was one of those unfortunate early events which started the season off on the wrong foot:

1. Gape sent off
    2. Uche injured
    3. Miss first minute sitter against Rotherham
    4. Hit the bar against Rotherham
    5. Concede last minute winner against Rotherham

Someone (@Malone I think) made the point that we would have needed everything to go right to stay up, which I agree with. I would love to see a version of the season where Gape and Uche are available and we beat Rotherham to open up the season, and see where that would have taken us.

• I have to admit that i had a sinking feeling from the second Rotherham scored.

We have some extremely argumentative characters on this forum who argue about the phrase "must win", but beating the team who would be most people's pick as 23rd seed at home really was a must win.

That killed confidence day one but everything conspired after that.

• Still continues. If we’d have got the penalty we should have, Bayo would have taken it and maybe scored which would have allowed us to get a bit of confidence, knocked Wednesdays and who knows, we could have ground out a win.

• @bookertease said:
    Still continues. If we’d have got the penalty we should have, Bayo would have taken it and maybe scored which would have allowed us to get a bit of confidence, knocked Wednesdays and who knows, we could have ground out a win.

Must admit, my ifollow was buffering for a good 30mins so I totally missed this.
    Was it up there with some of our other hard luck decisions then?

• It was certainly right up the top of the tree. I knew we wouldn't get it as Gavin bloody Ward was again the referee. Post match interview with GA indicates he was spitting feathers over it!

• Coming on the heels of what was given against Fred v Brentford (not that we would have won that anyway), it is even more outrageous.

• Looks pretty scandalous to me.
    Another game changing decision.

These may not be why we're in the bottom 3, but they're certainly why we're miles adrift

• @Malone somehow Mr Ward saw that as a corner despite the defender getting absolutely nowhere near the ball

• He must have thought that was one of the best challenges of all time, coming in from that angle!

• It's interesting to watch just Mehmeti in that video. His instinct for when to change gear and hit the gas is spot on.

• Don’t worry @drcongo. We’ll soon ‘wycombe-ise’ that instinct out of him.

Don’t want anything that’s going to get our pulses racing...

• Maybe we can ship him out on loan to a L2 club?

• It's shocking defending from their player, doesn't once make any attempt to get the right side of Mehmeti and then is forced to give away a penalty as he desperately lunges for the ball (or at least should have done).

As you say though, an excellent run from Mehmeti. He is going to be a star

• @Shev said:
    Maybe we can ship him out on loan to a L2 club?

I think Mehmet has much greater potential than Freeman. Hopefully we can tie him down to a longer contract to develop him.

• Having just seen it again, that decision is even worse than it looked in real time. Not just a penalty, but a red card for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. People complain about those of us who contest poor refereeing decisions, but they have played a significant part in our downfall this season.

• I wonder if decisions have always been this bad and it’s just because every game is on iFollow that it is more obvious.

• As I said before I've given up on what is and isn't a penalty or a foul these days. Brentford one did not look like one in real time or afterwards (even for Brentford players!) for me...Sheff Wednesday looked a clear one in real time and afterwards...so go figure.

• I think he could make an argument that he was attempting to play the ball so it was by no means a clear cut red card

• @Wendoverman said:
    As I said before I've given up on what is and isn't a penalty or a foul these days. Brentford one did not look like one in real time or afterwards (even for Brentford players!) for me...Sheff Wednesday looked a clear one in real time and afterwards...so go figure.

They were both just incorrect decisions. I think you probably still know more or less what is and isn't a penalty

• The nature of football as a low scoring game makes goal affecting refereeing decisions particularly important.

It is a flaw of the game when such decisions are not correctly made but the sheer speed of the incident makes it hard to get right decision on the pitch

I wonder if we will ever develop a way of reviewing key decisions and giving referees a chance to correct those match changing errors..........

• @eric_plant said:
    I think he could make an argument that he was attempting to play the ball so it was by no means a clear cut red card

By the laws of the game you are correct, but if that was the defender’s idea of attempting to play the ball I wouldn’t want him in our back four!

• No, it was poor defending from him all the through that clip

• I apologise for absent mindedly giving a platform for the VAR argument.