Skip to content

FA Cup quiz question

2»

Comments

• I remember being on a terrace at the side at Ninian Park and in memory in front of a wooden seated stand. A bit like the upgraded non-sloping Loakes Park main stand.

Bedford on the other hand was a genuine unnerving experience. For the second cup game in a row Jeffways Coaches arrived late. In memory we were 2-0 down in both games by the time we did arrive but not sure that it was the case at Bedford - definitely was at Croydon (came back to draw 2-2 in both).

But this was football hooligans’ peak period and a horrible threatening atmosphere and bricks thrown through the coach windows on the way back.

Was a cracking ground and a huge stand from what I remember though. But then I also thought the ground had an impressive one word name, but when I looked to jog my memory saw it was called Queens Park which rang no bells at all so most of the above could be a figment of imagination

• A brick was thrown through the coach window at an away game in Bedford? Almost inconceivable to my generation.

• A bit indulgent so sorry, but memories of Bedford led me to google a little more (the ground was The Eyrie and the stand held 3500 apparently).

But I found this report on where the stand came from fascinating. Baseball, Greyhound racing, Rugby League, Gaelic Football, etc. quite a collection of sports at a 30000+ stadium in Mitcham I never knew existed. (I’d also never appreciated that Tooting & Mitcham - they used to be regular opponents - was a merger of two clubs before.

http://www.gandermonium.com/2018/10/mitcham-stadium-mysteries.html?m=1