Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FA Cup quiz question

When was the last time Wycombe played two consecutive FA Cup matches?

Β«1

Comments

  • must have been a 2001 replay. Wimbledon?

  • Correct.

    A harder one..when was the last time we played consecutive FA Cup games in different rounds?

  • So @LX1 , was your original question about Cup replays?

  • Or replays with no intervening non-cup matches?

  • The original question was about any Cup matches. The second is about Cup matches in different rounds (e.g. like now we are playing a 3rd round match followed by a 4th round match..covid allowing).

  • Gravsend the then Stafford Rangers under Kelman ?

  • Correct. Fantastic knowledge!

    3rd/4th qualifying rounds in 1989/90 season

  • Went to every game in that run, including Baldock away in the 1st Qualifying rnd. Two midweek replay trips to Gravesend left us quite buoyant for our trip to Marston Rd.
    That was until big Chris Camden battered us, if I remember rightly it may well have been Gary Lester's last senior game for us.
    He didn't have the greatest game that day, but he had been a tremendous goalkeeper for the Wanderers.

  • I went to all the games as well, did Baldock have Kevin Philips then? I am sure I remember Stan Colymore signing for Stafford Rangers on the pitch at one visit.

  • This was before Kevin Phillips time, Baldock's player manager was ex Wealdstone centre half, the bearded thug Paul Bowgett. Over the years we had seen Bowgett and his tubby partner in crime Dennis Byatt commit endless horrible fouls/assaults against Wanderers players for Wealdstone.
    I remember Stan Collymore playing against us for Stafford, but cant recall him that day, another Stafford big centre forward who gave us problems was Martin Hanchard, he was a handful although I think he had left by 89/90.

  • Thanks @LX1. My BWK & memory bank are far too depleted to compete!
    I did cheat on one quiz which which went on endlessly and answered a question which seemed to fox everyone. I rang the fabled Ron. Knew he’d remember as his life revolves around Wycombe Wanderers.
    He did and I think I took all the credit.

  • What is the most consecutive FA Cup games we've every played. Did we ever play one of those epic ties with loads of replays with no league games in between?

    Really miss those second and third replays. They became mini Test series.

  • This is a long shot, but I'm sure you'll know the details @ChasHarps - was Guppy making one of his first starts for us at Baldock? (maybe even his debut??)

  • @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    What is the most consecutive FA Cup games we've every played. Did we ever play one of those epic ties with loads of replays with no league games in between?

    Really miss those second and third replays. They became mini Test series.

    I think the most is 4 without a league game in the 1920/21 season (3rd Qualifying round plus replay, 4th qual, 5th qual). The Spartan League only had around 12 teams back then so October and November were often full of FA Cup qualifiers.

  • Reckon the most replays was v Bedford Town in 1966/67 in the 1st round proper, which went to a third replay. However there was a league match in between.

  • @LeedsBlue said:
    This is a long shot, but I'm sure you'll know the details @ChasHarps - was Guppy making one of his first starts for us at Baldock? (maybe even his debut??)

    Guppy started on the bench at Baldock, he had been on the bench the previous weeks against Welling and Stafford in the GMVC.

  • @ChasHarps said:
    Went to every game in that run, including Baldock away in the 1st Qualifying rnd. Two midweek replay trips to Gravesend left us quite buoyant for our trip to Marston Rd.
    That was until big Chris Camden battered us, if I remember rightly it may well have been Gary Lester's last senior game for us.
    He didn't have the greatest game that day, but he had been a tremendous goalkeeper for the Wanderers.

    Just checked, that was Gary Lester's last ever appearance for the Wanderers.

  • Outstanding depth of knowledge as always from Mr. Harp as we say farewell to Trump.

  • Excuse me, it should be Mr. Harps.

    Mea culpa.

  • Cant say I'm that well versed in US politics, but what a soothing voice Joe Biden has ?
    Dont reckon it will be long before Ivana pushes that Orange lump of her, and files for divorce.

  • Life appears to have stood still for you from around the early 1990s Chas. Ivana indeed.....

  • @ChasHarps said:
    Cant say I'm that well versed in US politics, but what a soothing voice Joe Biden has ?
    Dont reckon it will be long before Ivana pushes that Orange lump of her, and files for divorce.

    As @DevC says, that premonition has already come to pass.

  • Q - Who is our FA Cup top scorer since we have been in the football league?

  • @LX1 said:
    Reckon the most replays was v Bedford Town in 1966/67 in the 1st round proper, which went to a third replay. However there was a league match in between.

    I thought that Bedford saga (which was the subject of quite a long and amusing article in the old broadsheet Sun newspaper) was after we moved to Wycombe in 1970. I’m pretty sure it was at Bedford that I first met Tony and Margaret Stallwood - a very young couple at the time who became very good friends with me and mrs micra.

  • @micra We did again face Bedford in the 1st round of the Cup in 1975/76, however that only went to a miserly 2nd replay! Wycombe prevailed this time giving us a 2nd round tie at Cardiff where we lost 1-0 to the Bluebirds. Before I was born, I'm obviously getting this from the official history. I'm sure many gasroomers remember this, would be good to hear what Ninian Park was like in the 70s.

  • @username123 said:
    Q - Who is our FA Cup top scorer since we have been in the football league?

    Paul McCarthy?

  • @LX1 It must have been one of the 75/76 matches at Bedford where I first met the Stallwoods. They parted company about 10 years ago and I’ve not seen or spoken to Tony since. He was great company. A wonderfully dry old stick - well, not that old, about 15-20 years my junior. We’ve kept in regular touch with Margaret but, although she still keeps an eye on results, she no longer goes to matches.

    One remarkable fact I unearthed about the 66/67 saga was that Wycombe played the same team in all four games. Incredible really when you think they all had day jobs and were competing with professionals.
    Sadly, I’ve not been able to trace the wonderful article published in the old broadsheet Sun following that remarkable (possibly unprecedented/subsequently unequalled) sequence of matches.

  • @LX1 Getting to Ninian Park was a bit of a nightmare, mainly because the coach we were on got stuck in horrendous traffic in the centre of Cardiff, meaning we only just made kick-off. No aggro from what I can remember, others may have different memories. Pretty standard mid-70s ground really, a bit run down, ended up on the big terrace opposite the main stand. Might not have even been segregated. Still remember Dylan Evans hitting the woodwork.

  • Yes, forgot to mention that I was at Cardiff.
    Think Tony Stallwood drove. Don’t recall problems getting to the ground. Remember the excitement of a first visit to a major Football League stadium. Had been to the old Wembley a few times and Cardiff’s ground seemed old and grey by comparison. I’d forgotten about Dylan Evans’ near miss. We competed very well.

  • Ironically another thread is Anthony Evans rumour, as Anthony (Tony) Evans scored Cardiff's goal when they beat us in the cup in 75/76. Also born in Liverpool, but about 45 years older !!

Β«1
Sign In or Register to comment.