Skip to content

What further squad additions do we need in the Jan window?

Comments

• I’m convinced that the Admiral will score goals.

• @Vincey : I didn’t know that Adeniran was injured. Was that during the game against Brentford B ? I saw some of that game but it’s pretty hopeless trying to identify individual players on a tiny iPhone screen.
    From what I did see, Brentford looked the more accomplished team.

• @micra said:
    @Vincey : I didn’t know that Adeniran was injured. Was that during the game against Brentford B ? I saw some of that game but it’s pretty hopeless trying to identify individual players on a tiny iPhone screen.
    From what I did see, Brentford looked the more accomplished team.

It was yes, it looked like Samuel potentially went off with a knock as well as he was met by a physio once he was substituted while pointing to his thigh.

It was a very young Brentford team and they looked impressive for their age.

• Jacobson's "injury" on Monday was a bit odd. I thought maybe he was running on empty (effects of virus or not training, maybe) rather than having done anything specific, as the physio didn't tend to him physically. They just had a chat. He then tried to carry on and then got subbed.

How did others see it?

• @our_frank said:
    Jacobson's "injury" on Monday was a bit odd. I thought maybe he was running on empty (effects of virus or not training, maybe) rather than having done anything specific, as the physio didn't tend to him physically. They just had a chat. He then tried to carry on and then got subbed.

How did others see it?

Looked like he was suggesting that he had pulled his groin, in which case he’s looking at a few weeks out. Given our heavy run of fixtures and his age, he could well be missing for the next 5/6 matches which would be a huge blow.

• thanks @Vincey That would indeed be a blow, but he's done exceptionally well this season to play all the games he has. He usually misses a few games through injury and for rest, but barring Swansea early on, I think he's played them all this season.

• Given this maybe our only time in the Championship and the money it brings( even without the fans in) do we need to be brave but not totally reckless and have a real good go at staying up by investing in new players in the next couple of days. Clearly that means shipping a few out on loan or even permanent ,perhaps Pattison, Samuel, Phillips . The Couhigs have invested in the infrastructure , eg floodlights, dugouts, WIFI, food and beverage offering which is fantastic but is now the time to give Ainsworth the players to have a real good go at staying in this league.

• I wish it was as simple as just providing the manager with the necessary funds. Unfortunately, there are a multitude of problems involved with signing new players and with time running out before the deadline those problems are exacerbated. The club has been doing its best to find the right players to bring in, but it’s been a frustrating process so far.

• @davecz said:
    Given this maybe our only time in the Championship and the money it brings( even without the fans in) do we need to be brave but not totally reckless and have a real good go at staying up by investing in new players in the next couple of days. Clearly that means shipping a few out on loan or even permanent ,perhaps Pattison, Samuel, Phillips . The Couhigs have invested in the infrastructure , eg floodlights, dugouts, WIFI, food and beverage offering which is fantastic but is now the time to give Ainsworth the players to have a real good go at staying in this league.

I think they've done that already by bringing in Uche, Muskwe, Horgan, Tafa, Knight, Stockdale, McCleary, Adeniran.

We are constrained by only being able to spend a percentage of our incomings on wages, I suspect there's little left in the budget to really bring in 3 or 4 more game changers. We might be able to get one more in.

• @Commoner said:

@davecz said:
    Given this maybe our only time in the Championship and the money it brings( even without the fans in) do we need to be brave but not totally reckless and have a real good go at staying up by investing in new players in the next couple of days. Clearly that means shipping a few out on loan or even permanent ,perhaps Pattison, Samuel, Phillips . The Couhigs have invested in the infrastructure , eg floodlights, dugouts, WIFI, food and beverage offering which is fantastic but is now the time to give Ainsworth the players to have a real good go at staying in this league.

I think they've done that already by bringing in Uche, Muskwe, Horgan, Tafa, Knight, Stockdale, McCleary, Adeniran.

We are constrained by only being able to spend a percentage of our incomings on wages, I suspect there's little left in the budget to really bring in 3 or 4 more game changers. We might be able to get one more in.

I’d argue that all of those signings (3 of whom are loans) were cheap deals. I think I read somewhere that Horgan was £50k and the rest were freebies.

Not suggesting that we spend thousands of pounds but there must be a gem or two in league two or lower league one that we could pick up for a small fee.

• Obviously, it is not just the fee but the salaries and we are paying more per week to get these players in.
    The budget must be really stretched now with no crowds etc. Also, as we have all mentioned, we need to move players out to make way for incomings.
    A complicated process indeed and I am sure GA and the team having been working hard to do what they can.
    My view is that if we have to do with what we have then so be it and we will fight and scrap all the way to the last kick of season.

• I very much doubt that we will sign many (if any) new "A" team players this January, so its probably a moot point.

Just to make the point again though, as I understand it we don't have to move players out to accommodate players coming in. We may have to not include a couple in the eligible squad (eg Philips for example) but nothing as I understand it to stop them being employed by us and train with us, they just wouldn't be allowed to play in league matches.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I wish it was as simple as just providing the manager with the necessary funds. Unfortunately, there are a multitude of problems involved with signing new players and with time running out before the deadline those problems are exacerbated. The club has been doing its best to find the right players to bring in, but it’s been a frustrating process so far.

Agree,certainly didn’t think it was a simple process. Cannot believe we are the most attractive option at the moment for lots of players. Likely to get relegated, so players taking a drop in wages is not the most compelling selling point. Just hoping we can pull out a couple of gems that will give the squad a boost and give us a chance. Somehow we need to win at least 10 games. We’ve pulled off miracles in the past. We just need another one!!!!

• I think winning our two games in hand on Derby is crucial because then the gap becomes more manageable. However, it’s a crazily unpredictable division and other teams will be equally nervous about the second half of the season.

• @davecz said:
    Now 10 points from safety. Clearly we need reinforcements but I expect we will go with current squad.

I've been trying to avoid looking at the table but that's one steep climb that is.

• The biggest downer would be outside a points difference where FA penalties can't help us. We have to stay within 12 points of teams using the PFA to pay players.

I don't think we need extra players and certainly not any on a panic buy.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    The biggest downer would be outside a points difference where FA penalties can't help us. We have to stay within 12 points of teams using the PFA to pay players.

I don't think we need extra players and certainly not any on a panic buy.

We really are getting desperate if we are relying on ‘FA penalties’.

It’s also worth noting that it’s the end of January and we still have half of our games to play (23 in just over 3 months). That’s an absolutely gruelling schedule, especially when you factor in the injuries that we have had during the first half of the season.

• Yep.
    It's pretty unlikely that three clubs are going to have points penalties big enough to get us out of this one!

• Maybe we need to wheel out 'The Worthing stand burner' again !!

• There are a maximum of 69 points to play for, which of course no one will achieve, however over the last 6 seasons the average points to avoid relegation was 43 which would mean we need to get at least 28 points from those 69 available which is doable (just look at Luton's run in last season).

The average is slightly increased due to last year the team finishing in 21st place needed 49 points whereas the preceding 5 years were 41,42, 43, 40 & 42/

I for one will not loose faith in us staying up until it is mathematically impossible for us to do so

• Ten wins should do it, particularly if half of those come against teams in the five places above us. Not easy, far from impossible.

• I think it was that great philosopher Chris Martin who said 'Nobody said it was easy...' although he also said 'It was all yellow...' so who knows.

• We’re wearing yellow tomorrow. I’ll take it!

• Brentford (for good reason) seem to be quite confident. Good time for an upset,

• @floyd said:
    Ten wins should do it, particularly if half of those come against teams in the five places above us. Not easy, far from impossible.

Spot on, keep believing! At this stage last season Luton had 20pts, Barnsley 19pts (so not many more than we have now) and they both stayed up.

• edited January 2021

I appreciated people's all in optimism, but thought I'd have a more reasoned look at how we compared to Luton last season, and Rotherham with the lowest ever points haul of 29 points.

As of 23 games
    Luton were actually outside of the bottom 3 by 1 point with their 20 points.
    https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-championship/23-december-2019/

Rotherham were 9 points off safety, having won 3 games out of the first 23 like us.
    https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-championship/26-december-2016/

We have 2 games in hand over the teams we're 10 points behind at least.

• @floyd said:
    We’re wearing yellow tomorrow. I’ll take it!

Another shoelace clash?

(I know it's shorts, but I am still bitter).

• Jordan Obita from Oxford. Must be hard for smaller clubs to keep hold of their talent when big clubs come calling.

• Oxford fans aren't happy in the replies here. Fantastic news.