Skip to content

Match day thread: Middlesbrough

12346»

Comments

• @eric_plant said:

@JohnBoy said:

@arnos_grove said:

@JohnBoy said:
    Ref has bought a lot of niggly ones in the middle of the pitch, but bottled any big decisions. Not sure why it wasn't a red for Fry for his last man challenge on Kashket to be honest.

Wasn’t a foul. Kashket wasn’t making it and took a fall.

He wasn't making it, but he was fouled.

Are you able to explain how it could be a goalscoring opportunity if he wasn't going to reach the ball?

Just because a player isn’t going to make the ball, you can’t just do what you want. If he hacked him down or elbowed him across the face, you can’t just say, oh well he wasn’t going to get to the ball.

• I appreciate that but as far as I could see the defender did none of those things.

On what criteria did you think the defender should have been sent off?

• There will be enough teams that our present line-up could beat I think.

• Beaten by a superior team today, no excuses.

• FYIW I didn't think either the foul ,and booking, for the alleged trip on JJ or alleged trip in Kashkett were actually fouls. For my money the ref got them both wrong.
    Absolutely no way that the defender should have been booked let alone red carded for the challenge on Kashkett.
    It's equally true @JohnBoy that just because Kashkett goes to ground it doesn't make it a red card.

• Let's not forget that both sides between them must have hit the woodwork five/six times. If the luck goes our way we could have won it. On the flip side, we could have lost 6-1. No complaints though, the better team won. Thought they were stronger in nearly every department. Uche scoring so early may have given us the misplaced idea that all we had to do was defend and give the ball to him & he could do the rest. Clearly he couldn't. Kashket looked lively when he came on. Maybe a case in the next game for having Adenerin & Thompson as a defensive midfield pair to give us a solid base from which to build on. Who knows we may have Stewart back, which if Knight stays will give GA a pleasant headache?

• Looking at the table, we would probably still be in the relegation zone even if we win four in a row. I still think we will have a better second half of the season, but 10 wins in 23 is a big ask.

• @Shev said:
    Looking at the table, we would probably still be in the relegation zone even if we win four in a row. I still think we will have a better second half of the season, but 10 wins in 23 is a big ask.

If you're trying to cheer us up, you might need better than this :)

• League 1 could still get abandoned!

• There was me thinking at least Fred, Horgan et al will look brilliant in league 1.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Great start, great goal...we just needed to convert the pressure into a second goal. Then poor defending from the corner and a great goal from Tavernier who turned Joe on the edge of the box. I thought we were worse after the subs sadly and seemed to lose our shape, though happy that Gaz was trying 2 up front with Ikpeazu and Scotty for a while. But we didn’t adapt when Bayo and Fred came on. Sadly we don’t rate Fred’s performances very highly this season in our house and we don’t believe he is going to ‘unlock’ defenses at the moment.

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:
    Looking at the table, we would probably still be in the relegation zone even if we win four in a row. I still think we will have a better second half of the season, but 10 wins in 23 is a big ask.

If you're trying to cheer us up, you might need better than this :)

Haha - ironically, that is about as cheerful as I have ever felt after a loss. Though it diminishes our chances of staying up, it was (to me) an enthralling contest against a very good Middlesborough side, and despite the two goal margin, we gave a very good account of ourselves, and can hold our heads high.

• @micra said:
    Not too much activity on here today but most conspicuous by his absence is @chairboyscentral . Hope he’s ok.

I really would like to know that @chairboyscentral is ok. Very rare indeed for him not to have commented at all either before or after the match.

• @micra said:

@micra said:
    Not too much activity on here today but most conspicuous by his absence is @chairboyscentral . Hope he’s ok.

I really would like to know that @chairboyscentral is ok. Very rare indeed for him not to have commented at all either before or after the match.

He's closed down his @chairboyscentral Twitter account to go in a new direction but was tweeting throughout the game yesterday on his personal account. I hope he's ok too. I'm guessing he might make a name change on here too.

• I’m with @glasshalffull on this one. We were beaten by a superior team but there were lots of positives and learning to take from the game.
    That team we have now, with a few January additions, will beat teams around us and give us a chance to stay up.

• On a positive spin.

Halfway through the season we have won 3 games and could/should probably have won another 4.

If we can turn those could/shoulds into actual wins on a similar level of performance that would give us a potential 7 wins in the second half of the season.

If Uche stays fit and continues to impress it won’t take much improvement to get two or three more wins on top of those theoretical 7.

Last two games we have shown (I’m thinking 2nd half yesterday) an alternative way of playing that could bring rewards.

• The current situation puts me in mind of the quip by James Carville during Bill Clinton’s election campaign in 1992. “It’s the economy, stupid”.

It’s the midfield, stupid! An overworked and possibly not fully fit Curtis Thompson plus an exciting but very green Anis Mehmeti presented very little barrier to an eventually rampant Middlesbrough. With Pattison, Bloomfield and Adeniran on the bench, Freeman nowhere to be seen and presumably (and mysteriously) out of favour, there were alternative options.

As we all know, this month gives us the opportunity to have a profitable run in the FA Cup as well as attaining a position in the Championship (ie above the bottom three) that our performances could be said to justify. And, with the addition of one or two typically shrewd signings, I think we’ve plenty to look forward to.

• I’d love to know what the downthumbers disapprove of in that post!

• The mind boggles.

• I don't think micra has worked out yet, that it's rarely his content that gets the minuses.
    But is more an in joke about his obsession with the thumbs up and down system.

• @Malone said:
    I don't think micra has worked out yet, that it's rarely his content that gets the minuses.

??

• @Malone said:
    I don't think micra has worked out yet, that it's rarely his content that gets the minuses.

Even gave myself a -1 there.