Skip to content

Press report on Josh Knight

Comments

• @Bandito said:

@micra said:
    “Josh Knight is a good deal better than most of the present squad”. He’s an accomplished player. No doubt about that. But to compare a central defender/midfielder with players in every other position is tantamount to comparing chalk and cheese. If I were a Wycombe squad member I’d be pretty miffed by that statement.

Miffed they might be micra, but I don't think I've seen a better player wearing a Wycombe shirt since Alfie Mawson

Eze?

• @Bandito said:

@micra said:
    “Josh Knight is a good deal better than most of the present squad”. He’s an accomplished player. No doubt about that. But to compare a central defender/midfielder with players in every other position is tantamount to comparing chalk and cheese. If I were a Wycombe squad member I’d be pretty miffed by that statement.

Miffed they might be micra, but I don't think I've seen a better player wearing a Wycombe shirt since Alfie Mawson

Sure, but that just means he’s not one of our best players ever!

• @mooneyman said:

@Bandito said:

@micra said:

Eze?

Good shout mooneyman, saw Eze play most of his 20 or so games for the Blues, and although he could drift in and out of the game a wonderful talented player...

• Alfie was a delight for a whole season...we only got a tantalising glimpse of Eze. Proud that both played for Wycombe though.

• Such great memories of Mawson. The way he used to stride out of defence and ping inch perfect 50 yard passes with either foot reminded me of how my dad used to talk about Bobby Moore.

It wasn't until earlier this year when a load of old games were being replayed during the first lockdown that I really watched a few games involving Bobby Moore. I can see why people reminisce so fondly. An absolute Rolls Royce of a footballer

• Bobby Moore...could not head...no pace...but what a player.

• Knight has been our best player so far this season. He would be a very big loss if he leaves next week, so let’s hope Gareth can work wonders and get him.

Then we need a couple of good strikers and then we have a good chance of staying up. COYB!!!!!!

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Knight has been our best player so far this season.

uh-oh our players will now be miffed...

• @Wendoverman said:
    Bobby Moore...could not head...no pace...but what a player.

Luke Oliver could not head ....no pace.... awful player

• @aloysius said:
    I found it interesting a few weeks ago when Matt Cecil said on a commentary that Knight always refuses requests to speak to the media, and so we had not yet had the opportunity to get to know him. This is not a player that looks shy on the pitch, so I've been intrigued as to why it might be. I'm afraid, based on absolutely no evidence, that I've concluded that he never felt the need to form a relationship with the fans because he didn't expect to stay long. It certainly doesn't strike me as the 'Wycombe way' - Gareth is very good at encouraging contacts between players and fans to build relationships. So I'm not entirely confident we will sign him, even if we can afford Josh. But I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

• I've had a couple of brief chats with him at the training ground when I've popped in the last couple of months. He's very articulate, nice lad. Strikes me as a perfect fit for the squad. As of our last conversation he wasn't sure what his situation was going to be come January but I'm convinced he'd be an excellent signing.

• Without a shadow of a doubt @OldEchoMan.

• When GA was recently saying he was hoping to bring in a defender. I wonder if he was hinting about the signing of Knight or whether it was a further addition to the squad. Knight would be a terrific signing. Not sure how much Leicester would want. Hopefully a striker is our New Year present as well.

• If his words were “bring in” rather than “sign” my guess it was in addition to Knight, who is clearly the number one defensive target. I think the one he is hoping to bring in is likely to be a left back or a player capable of covering that position. Educated guess n all that.

• ...my guess is.....

• If GA sees Knight as being more of a midfielder in the second half of the season then a central/left back player becomes a possibility. But having defensive and midfield options with one excellent player (Knight) is hugely desirable and probably well worth the financial input (investment) that it would take.

• When does Knight's official loan deal come to an end?

• 3rd January.

• @our_frank said:
    3rd January.

Thanks, so a decision has to be soon.

• @davecz said:

@our_frank said:
    3rd January.

Not necessarily, Leicester can offer him a contract extension & extend his loan here, they can also loan him to another club, though I honestly believe that scenario is unlikely. The negotiations could continue throughout January, but like the majority I hope that decision is made sooner rather than later.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@davecz said:

@our_frank said:
    3rd January.

Not necessarily, Leicester can offer him a contract extension & extend his loan here, they can also loan him to another club, though I honestly believe that scenario is unlikely. The negotiations could continue throughout January, but like the majority I hope that decision is made sooner rather than later.

Extending his loan would still be a decision being made!

• Whilst I agree with the pedantry in your post @Malone, I genuinely believe that him staying here would be a given, just if it is an extended loan or as a WWFC player?

• I think the urgency is that he can’t play for us after Jan 3 UNTIL a decision of some sort has been made

• Malone, you were correct earlier on in the thread, you can only talk to overseas clubs in the last six months of your contract - it’s not permitted domestically.

Otherwise players would find themselves playing against clubs they were in discussions with, which would be an abysmal conflict of interest.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Whilst I agree with the pedantry in your post @Malone, I genuinely believe that him staying here would be a given, just if it is an extended loan or as a WWFC player?

I agree with you - I think it'd be absolutely baffling if we can't keep him at least on loan.

And unlike others I wouldn't be as surprised if we signed him permanently as I've been at past signings.

Like Hayes, JJ and Pierre that season after we almost went down.
    McCarthy and Gape, and some of the loanees like Eze and Aarons- although those two had a massively variable success here.

• Knight on a permanent signing would be a huge statement of intent in general by the Couhigs, whether we stay up this season or not

• @Username said:
    Knight on a permanent signing would be a huge statement of intent in general by the Couhigs, whether we stay up this season or not

Maybe not signing him if the fee/wages are out of our reach would be an equally huge statement on intent regarding our sustainability?

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Username said:
    Knight on a permanent signing would be a huge statement of intent in general by the Couhigs, whether we stay up this season or not

Maybe not signing him if the fee/wages are out of our reach would be an equally huge statement on intent regarding our sustainability?

We went up to the championship and spent next to nothing on fees, and signing a young, upcoming player with 6 months left on his contact, who's already proven himself to the manager is about as low risk as it gets.

• @TheatreOfChairs said:
    Malone, you were correct earlier on in the thread, you can only talk to overseas clubs in the last six months of your contract - it’s not permitted domestically.

Otherwise players would find themselves playing against clubs they were in discussions with, which would be an abysmal conflict of interest.

Ah, I got that wrong. Although a player could still play against a foreign club in the Champions League, so it's not entirely avoidable.

• @TheatreOfChairs said:
    Malone, you were correct earlier on in the thread, you can only talk to overseas clubs in the last six months of your contract - it’s not permitted domestically.

I thought so as you'd hear all the leaks in the papers and players would get utter dog's abuse for it. And you'd hear about pre-contracts etc.

But when @chairboyscentral was adamant I stepped back as he's normally the man for the ins and outs.