Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Β«1345

Comments

  • Would be a great move all round.
    Wouldn't be anywhere near Leicester's squad and is a key player here.

    Fingers crossed.

  • Could be very expensive though - wonder if Peterborough would be tempted to put an offer in with all their Ivan Toney money.

  • @aloysius said:
    Could be very expensive though - wonder if Peterborough would be tempted to put an offer in with all their Ivan Toney money.

    They’ve spent it all on the Vengeance Tour and keeping Alan Swann in free lunches!

  • Huge, and I expect we'd make decent money on him a couple of years down the line.

  • I hope we do, and I hope we get to see him in midfield too at some point.

  • Would bring some joy for sure. His versatility, like Wheeler would be a major boost to the squad especially if we can get Taff & Stewart in the centre back positions. I would imagine if we can it will come with a large caveat/sell on fee?

  • Would be a great addition if we could get it over the line and would be one that would better themselves in the future.

  • I found it interesting a few weeks ago when Matt Cecil said on a commentary that Knight always refuses requests to speak to the media, and so we had not yet had the opportunity to get to know him. This is not a player that looks shy on the pitch, so I've been intrigued as to why it might be. I'm afraid, based on absolutely no evidence, that I've concluded that he never felt the need to form a relationship with the fans because he didn't expect to stay long. It certainly doesn't strike me as the 'Wycombe way' - Gareth is very good at encouraging contacts between players and fans to build relationships. So I'm not entirely confident we will sign him, even if we can afford Josh. But I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

  • @aloysius said:
    I found it interesting a few weeks ago when Matt Cecil said on a commentary that Knight always refuses requests to speak to the media, and so we had not yet had the opportunity to get to know him. This is not a player that looks shy on the pitch, so I've been intrigued as to why it might be. I'm afraid, based on absolutely no evidence, that I've concluded that he never felt the need to form a relationship with the fans because he didn't expect to stay long. It certainly doesn't strike me as the 'Wycombe way' - Gareth is very good at encouraging contacts between players and fans to build relationships. So I'm not entirely confident we will sign him, even if we can afford Josh. But I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

    I'm afraid the 'Wycombe way' isn't proving very effective at this level aloysius, Josh Knight is a good deal better than most of the current squad, I would be amazed and delighted if we could agree terms and sign him.

  • Interesting @aloysius. Hadn’t occurred to me until now that we’ve not heard a single word from Josh. There are usually interviews with new arrivals. I also recall someone (?Matt Cecil) saying recently that, however well he has played, he is usually critical of some aspect of his performances. Interesting character. Would be the best signing of the season so far.

  • I always like to see your β€˜yang’ style posts @aloysius. Does tend to make me look at things from new perspectives which is always helpful.

    Interesting theory but I wonder if there was significant doubt about his willingness to join us if the finances matched up we would be looking to sign him. (Assuming of course that there is any truth behind the original story, which is obviously not a given)

  • Would be the signing of the decade !!
    Defensively he has no weaknesses at this level.
    Normally we let out very little information until we have sealed a deal, so that part gives me a bit of confidence.
    But at the same time, I find it difficult to believe that clubs with bigger resources are not sniffing around, a player who is excelling at this level.

  • β€œJosh Knight is a good deal better than most of the present squad”. He’s an accomplished player. No doubt about that. But to compare a central defender/midfielder with players in every other position is tantamount to comparing chalk and cheese. If I were a Wycombe squad member I’d be pretty miffed by that statement.

  • I suspect they won't let it concern then too much

  • edited December 2020

    Interested to see what the deal is if it happens. Pre-contract agreement and joins us on a free in the summer after spending the rest of the season on loan? Or pay a nominal fee now? If you're Leicester, surely you demand the latter so you can get a sell-on fee.

  • @chairboyscentral said:
    Interested to see what the deal is if it happens. Pre-contract agreement and joins us on a free in the summer after spending the rest of the season on loan? Or pay a nominal fee now? If you're Leicester, surely you demand the latter so you can get a sell-on fee.

    Would it depend on when his current contract with Leicester expires in regards to the fee commanded?

  • edited December 2020

    @EwanHoosaami said:

    @chairboyscentral said:
    Interested to see what the deal is if it happens. Pre-contract agreement and joins us on a free in the summer after spending the rest of the season on loan? Or pay a nominal fee now? If you're Leicester, surely you demand the latter so you can get a sell-on fee.

    Would it depend on when his current contract with Leicester expires in regards to the fee commanded?

    It expires in the summer, but normally players will agree to free transfers in advance - you're free to talk to other clubs once you're in the final six months of your contract. It's unusual to sign a player for a fee that close to the end of their deal, but maybe we'd be better off doing that. I don't know the full ins and outs of how this all works. Trying to think if we've signed a player in similar circumstances before?

  • @aloysius Here you go:

    'Tough result today but we go again Tuesday. Buzzing to get back on the pitch and make things right.'

  • edited December 2020

    We haven't heard from many players this season because the access has been very limited - McCleary didn't do a new signing interview either and I don't remember Tafazolli doing one.

  • @chairboyscentral said:

    @EwanHoosaami said:

    @chairboyscentral said:
    Interested to see what the deal is if it happens. Pre-contract agreement and joins us on a free in the summer after spending the rest of the season on loan? Or pay a nominal fee now? If you're Leicester, surely you demand the latter so you can get a sell-on fee.

    Would it depend on when his current contract with Leicester expires in regards to the fee commanded?

    It expires in the summer, but normally players will agree to free transfers in advance - you're free to talk to other clubs once you're in the final six months of your contract. It's unusual to sign a player for a fee that close to the end of their deal, but maybe we'd be better off doing that. I don't know the full ins and outs of how this all works. Trying to think if we've signed a player in similar circumstances before?

    It's free to talk to other clubs ABROAD with 6months to go isn't it.
    (Ignoring unofficial tapping up scenarios of course)

  • @Malone said:

    @chairboyscentral said:

    @EwanHoosaami said:

    @chairboyscentral said:
    Interested to see what the deal is if it happens. Pre-contract agreement and joins us on a free in the summer after spending the rest of the season on loan? Or pay a nominal fee now? If you're Leicester, surely you demand the latter so you can get a sell-on fee.

    Would it depend on when his current contract with Leicester expires in regards to the fee commanded?

    It expires in the summer, but normally players will agree to free transfers in advance - you're free to talk to other clubs once you're in the final six months of your contract. It's unusual to sign a player for a fee that close to the end of their deal, but maybe we'd be better off doing that. I don't know the full ins and outs of how this all works. Trying to think if we've signed a player in similar circumstances before?

    It's free to talk to other clubs ABROAD with 6months to go isn't it.
    (Ignoring unofficial tapping up scenarios of course)

    Nope, it doesn't matter what country the club's from.

  • Hard to see Leicester standing in his way.

    For him some logic in seeing how things pan out. We are favourites to be relegated and it’s possible that a Champ team next season may make him a higher level higher wage offer.

    On the other hand the legendary dressing room spirit and opportunity to play every week may tempt him for a season.

  • Given we thought we’d never sign Gape and how amazed we were when that deal was announced then nothing would surprise me.
    I would also think he could commute from Leicester if he really wanted to.
    He’s 23 as well, so not sure he’s going anywhere other than lower budget Championship and high end League One.
    As a defender he’s good at this level but not outstanding. I think he may be better suited to midfield if he really wants to push on.

  • @Commoner said:
    Given we thought we’d never sign Gape and how amazed we were when that deal was announced then nothing would surprise me.
    I would also think he could commute from Leicester if he really wanted to.
    He’s 23 as well, so not sure he’s going anywhere other than lower budget Championship and high end League One.
    As a defender he’s good at this level but not outstanding. I think he may be better suited to midfield if he really wants to push on.

    I thought it looks like it's the other way round.
    Cuts it well at league 1 in midfield but can play at a higher level in defence.

    I remember Keith Ryan was seen that way too by O Neill, but we needed him more in centre mid in those days.

  • It was John Gregory who saw Ryan as a centre half. Apart from the odd game he had up front when we were short O'Neill always played him in midfield.

    John Gregory has said that were it not for his injuries he would have taken Ryan to Villa with him

  • Ryan said: "Martin O'Neill used to say to me that I would possibly be able to play higher up the leagues as a defender but he needed me in midfield then. I would like to think I could play a higher standard but every footballer thinks that don't they."

    https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/5197700.rhino-says-my-place-is-at-the-back-now/

  • @micra said:
    β€œJosh Knight is a good deal better than most of the present squad”. He’s an accomplished player. No doubt about that. But to compare a central defender/midfielder with players in every other position is tantamount to comparing chalk and cheese. If I were a Wycombe squad member I’d be pretty miffed by that statement.

    Miffed they might be micra, but I don't think I've seen a better player wearing a Wycombe shirt since Alfie Mawson

  • @Bandito said:

    @micra said:
    β€œJosh Knight is a good deal better than most of the present squad”. He’s an accomplished player. No doubt about that. But to compare a central defender/midfielder with players in every other position is tantamount to comparing chalk and cheese. If I were a Wycombe squad member I’d be pretty miffed by that statement.

    Miffed they might be micra, but I don't think I've seen a better player wearing a Wycombe shirt since Alfie Mawson

    He stood out a lot more. But we were league 2.

    For a player to stand out massively at this level they'd have to be one hell of a player.

  • @Malone said:
    Ryan said: "Martin O'Neill used to say to me that I would possibly be able to play higher up the leagues as a defender but he needed me in midfield then. I would like to think I could play a higher standard but every footballer thinks that don't they."

    https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/5197700.rhino-says-my-place-is-at-the-back-now/

    Never knew that! Cheers

  • edited December 2020

    I think Knight and Thompson would be immense in midfield with the way we play - both line-breakers with excellent defensive abilities and combativity. Either way, I think Knight's a Β£1 million player in the making. All the better if Leicester let us have him on a free (I don't think they will).

Sign In or Register to comment.