Skip to content

PPG League 1

As it stands tonight, if my maths is correct then Accrington Stanley have just gone top of League 1 on PPG!

This is due to Pompey beating Hull. Peterborough currently sit in 7th.

Stop the season now! Happy Xmas everyone!

Comments

• I just realized PPG actually stands for Peterborough's Promotion Gone.

• Even sweater that their PPG is 1.78, ?

• We’re above all this...

A whole division above

• Pompey won that game 2-0 without a shot on target

• I'm interested that it seems to have been Peterborough themselves who postponed the fixtures. Many clubs including ourselves (following Uche's revelation the other day) have had issues with players/staff testing positive, but not all have then gone to the lengths of refusing to play for the next 2 weeks.

Obviously I don't know all the details, but yes there does seem to be a certain irony there.

• Wondering if those postponements will come back to bite them? Already a shortened season, will mean that they will have to squeeze so many games into an ever tighter calendar. Still, on the flip side they won't have an FA Cup run to distract them!

• edited December 2020

Sunderland had to play Wilmbledon on Tuesday with eight first team players missing for COVID reasons, does seem to be pretty inconsistent.

• I suspect that Sunderland had A choice to play or postpone and decided to play if they could prove other players were negative.

Amazing performance from Accrington, I do hope they win two of their games in hand and go top on merit.

• I’ve got a lot of time for Accy, despite how often we struggle against them.

• Just seen this https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55330533

Seems not. Sunderland now have next three games postponed as well

• Had missed Lee Johnson going there. He's a decent guy, so although Sunderland are one of those clubs like Peterborough and Rovers that we've acquired a little bit of needle with recently , you do have to feel sorry for him there!

• edited December 2020

I like Accy as a small club rattling the big boys, but I can't warm to John Coleman - he didn't come out of Close Quarters at all well and does seem to play the victim a lot - and they are one of the dirtiest teams we've played in recent years. You'll find a lot of people say that about them.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I like Accy as a small club rattling the big boys, but I can't warm to John Coleman - he didn't come out of Close Quarters at all well and does seem to play the victim a lot - and they are one of the dirtiest teams we've played in recent years. You'll find a lot of people say that about them.

Can you expand on that a bit more? Having not read the book....

• edited December 2020

@Malone I don't want to spoil it, but they (him and his assistant) were extremely aggressive towards the officials during our game last season - similarly with the Cowleys in the JJ hat-trick game. Their players were kicking lumps out of us that night and they should have gone down to at least ten.

• Something our management team never do of course

• Not to that extent

• @chairboyscentral said:
    @Malone I don't want to spoil it, but they (him and his assistant) were extremely aggressive towards the officials during our game last season - similarly with the Cowleys in the JJ hat-trick game. Their players were kicking lumps out of us that night and they should have gone down to at least ten.

Parts of that book seem very bias and a bit OTT. Don’t get me wrong I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ainsworth and Wycombe have had similar mud thrown at them by the opposition. Why? Because people look down their noses at us, the number of fans we have, the budget, the perception we should be an easy three points. When those clubs leave the game without the expected three points they criticise us rather than look at themselves. Ainsworth is always in the 4th Officials ears.

Coleman has been there almost 20 years over two spells, crowds are averaging around 2500 year on year and yet somehow they play attractive football in League 1!

If you think how many managers & fans last two seasons have criticised us for much the same but we know Ainsworth is an incredibly humble and generous manager. I have the feeling Coleman gets tarred with the same brush, probably unfairly.

As an example you need to look at how they helped Billy Kee and how complimentary he has been about Coleman during that period and afterwards.

• Gaz always talks about Coleman in glowing terms too.

• With more and more games getting cancelled and new measures being bought in later we've got to be getting close to a pause in football surely?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    With more and more games getting cancelled and new measures being bought in later we've got to be getting close to a pause in football surely?

Can't see it, unless the R rate absolutely zooms up.
    There can't be a pause this season as we already started it late.

Just means the season will be even more skewed than it already is = with some teams allowed crowds and some not.

Take Palace v Liverpool today.
    Palace are well known for having a vociferous crowd. Today - no crowd whilst Liverpool are allowed one at their ground.

Still better than a year of nothing though.

• @Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    With more and more games getting cancelled and new measures being bought in later we've got to be getting close to a pause in football surely?

Just means the season will be even more skewed than it already is = with some teams allowed crowds and some not.

Palace are well known for having a vociferous crowd. Today - no crowd whilst Liverpool are allowed one at their ground.

I am more worried about the rising number of players with it. We were lucky Uche wasn't in the main squad bubble when he caught it. One positive test in your main squad and they all have to self isolate

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

I am more worried about the rising number of players with it. We were lucky Uche wasn't in the main squad bubble when he caught it. One positive test in your main squad and they all have to self isolate

It is all perched on a bit of a knife edge for sure.

I'm not sure how things work on a daily basis but there must be some sort of sign in protocol for a player each day before they join the group?
    With anyone above a certain temperature or reporting any symptoms having a test?

• Unless mandated by the government there’s no way the FA/FL will want to stop playing. We’d have to play three or four times a week to finish before the Euros.

• Will be interesting to see if money or safety wins. Seems some expect money too.

• I still can't see anything happening though. We can't have a repeat of last season and, as above, there's barely any spare time to make use of before the Euros.

• Covid doesn't really give a f**k about the Euros

• Ah, EFL and PL set to carry on as normal.