Skip to content

Kick off time v QPR

Comments

• I think you'll find that all 'restrictions' regarding travel under the tier system is ADVISORY. There's no legal restriction on travel regardless of the reason. It's like the Xmas regs, you're legally allowed to meet up with two other families, even tho Govt advice is to avoid doing so if possible.

• Fortunately, being in the highly vulnerable category, I’m not affected by complicated definition-based exceptions to the general rules. I stay chez moi apart from two supermarket visits a week (ASDA and Morrisons) which is the only exercise I get apart from at least a dozen times a day up and down our five stairs.

I was interested to see the suggestion that bringing the QPR match forward by 24 hours would circumvent the Tier 3 restrictions but that was never going to be on the cards because, unless I dreamed it, a final fling fine dining event is due to be held tomorrow evening in the Executive Lounges and Woodland Suite. At £360 for a table of six (including free drinks and a Christmas hamper) it may not sell out but I hope it brings plenty of dosh into the club coffers.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I’ve only just come into the room.

• Yes, twisting the rules ("advice") is why we're at this particular crossroads IMHO. A bit like speeding, it's an insidious thing that is inherently dangerous and can creep into peoples thinking and actions without awareness. Also, seems to me that about 70% of the country are in the "it doesn't apply to me, I'll get round it, who cares?, I'm young and fit, it won't affect me, it's too complicated so I don't understand and what rules, I haven't read/heard/seen or researched it" category!

FFS WAKE UP, GET THE NUMBERS DOWN AND KEEP US SAFE AND ALIVE YOU MUPPETS!

(Rant over!)

• edited December 2020

People still don't seem to understand basic things like queue markers in supermarkets. Was tempted to ask this woman right up behind me yesterday what she thought the BIG RED CIRCLES on the floor were, but the last person I asked to keep their distance in a shop just got aggressive, so I couldn't be bothered. Just drained by the whole thing tbh.

• Trouble is @chairboyscentral, you may be more than drained by C19 if you got it. These b***ards "getting aggresive" are quite literally killing people and along with it in the lockdowns/tiers, so many local businesses/pubs etc. it's not true. We need to declare war on them. This could be another Brexit saga!

• Off to bed now and I wonder what responses I'll see in the morning? Night, night.

• In my experience up here (Tier 3) the vast majority of people are being relatively sensible a lot of the time. Supermarkets aren’t helping though. In the first lockdown they maintained a good control of numbers going in but now they generally don’t seem to bother and as such they get packed.

Also not helping is the rapid testing results for students. They see the negative result as an indicator that they are safe to see friends with negative results. It’s a hard sell to convince them that it isn’t a great idea.

The government really don’t help though. The messaging is so contradictory sometimes.

• I think broxbourne is quite a nice bit of Herts isnt it? Some areas they cannot default to blaming covid on lefty councils, foreigners, northerners or 'large family groups' .

• Population of Broxbourne is 96K. So realistically if each one of the infected in week to 5th December (265 positives), infected two other people who then get a test the rate goes up to 530. They're at 556.

Our primary school had 7 children infected plus the teaching assistant all at the same time due to an asymptomatic carrier. Around 50% of the parents also then tested positive even though they all went into isolation as soon as advised.

The same can be said of Chiltern, population around 96k and rate has doubled.

Whilst particularly difficult to manage, it would be good to see in these figures how many households were infected in week 1 then in week 2 what was the split of new households being infected versus additional family members in the same house testing positive.

The sudden surge of infections in December seems strange compared to numbers in March April. Be interested if common flu is returning a positive as well, anyone know?

• Very different testing regime in March and April so impossible to compare really. Does just feel closer to home now than it has at any stage this year.

• Google maps shows Broxbourne District, which I'm presuming is the area covered by these Covid data, extending as a corridor either side of the A10 from Cheshunt in the south up to Hoddesdon in the north.
    London commuter's bringing the virus home from Christmas parties maybe?

• Nice interview from Loft for Words with our very own @chairboyscentral here: https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/53715/

I am a fan of your content Tom, but it does grate a little that you always seem to find ways to have a little dig at fellow Chairboys when you are conversing with fans of other teams. In this interview you suggest that your fellow fans don't understand that it's about more than Plan A vs Plan B, and you also make reference to some calling for a 15-20 goal striker in the transfer window. I'm fairly sure the vast majority of us are a little more nuanced in our thinking than that. You're not overtly rude or unpleasant, it just seems a little unnecessary and could be worded a bit less clumsily in my opinion. Keep up the good work though!

• @YorkExile said:
    Nice interview from Loft for Words with our very own @chairboyscentral here: https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/53715/

I am a fan of your content Tom, but it does grate a little that you always seem to find ways to have a little dig at fellow Chairboys when you are conversing with fans of other teams. In this interview you suggest that your fellow fans don't understand that it's about more than Plan A vs Plan B, and you also make reference to some calling for a 15-20 goal striker in the transfer window. I'm fairly sure the vast majority of us are a little more nuanced in our thinking than that. You're not overtly rude or unpleasant, it just seems a little unnecessary and could be worded a bit less clumsily in my opinion. Keep up the good work though!

I mean, the perennial calls for a '15-20 goals a season striker' get very tiresome and are completely unrealistic. And I'm not suggesting people don't see the nuances; that's just how it's often described.

• @YorkExile said:
    Nice interview from Loft for Words with our very own @chairboyscentral here: https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/53715/

I am a fan of your content Tom, but it does grate a little that you always seem to find ways to have a little dig at fellow Chairboys when you are conversing with fans of other teams.

Also, "always"? I think the only thing I'm regularly critical of is fans abusing players or wanting Ainsworth out (which I think we can all agree is bizarre). I don't even do many of these opposition view pieces.

• @YorkExile You've got to remember that poor Tom actually spends time on football-twitter, the untreated haemorrhoids of social media.

• @drcongo said:
    @YorkExile You've got to remember that poor Tom actually spends time on football-twitter, the untreated haemorrhoids of social media.

This is true, although I'm not going on Twitter during games anymore - it's depressing and gives a skewed perception as it does with, well, everything.

• Also, if Twitter is untreated haemorrhoids, what does that make Facebook?

• The bloody stool ...

• Amusing typo in that article "a nine-game streak of four losses and five defeats"

• @Croider said:
    Amusing typo in that article "a nine-game streak of four losses and five defeats"

Sums our season up that when we avoid a loss, we still suffer a defeat...

• @Croider said:
    Amusing typo in that article "a nine-game streak of four losses and five defeats"

It's like someone is trying to make a distinction between a "defeat" as if we've been legitimately beaten and a "loss" where we've been hard done by :)

• What time is kickoff? And where’s @BSE?

• I was just thinking is it really matchday without the matchday thread?

• It’s making me anxious.

• edited December 2020

No matchday thread and no team news. I don't like this.

• V strange. Usually the teams are up by now.

• And relax, they’re up.

C’mon Nick, today’s your day.

• Not a lot of defensive protection in that team. Either 4-1-3-2 with Wheeler holding and Freeman 10 or 4-4-2 with Wheeler and Freeman central, presumably.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Not a lot of defensive protection in that team. Either 4-1-3-2 with Wheeler holding and Freeman 10 or 4-4-2 with Wheeler and Freeman central, presumably.

The way I see it is 4-4-2 because I don't think Wheeler is defensive minded enough to play as a holding midfielder